Deutsches Reich stamped 1905 Izhevsk M91 w/Original Stock

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Almost_Samurai

Re: Deutsches Reich stamped 1905 Izhevsk M91 w/Original Stock

Post by Almost_Samurai »

zeebill wrote:It is especially evident around the base of the rear sight with much blue remaining when compared with the rest of the action. Normal wear would not look like that at all.
I would have never guessed that. I wonder if that was done in the stock. Surprised there wouldn't be scuff marks on the finish where the magazine assembly meets the stock. It makes no sense if it was done with stock removed because of the crisp line where bluing stops. I guess it could have been taped over. Very interesting information. Thanks.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Almost_Samurai wrote:
zeebill wrote:It is especially evident around the base of the rear sight with much blue remaining when compared with the rest of the action. Normal wear would not look like that at all.
I would have never guessed that. I wonder if that was done in the stock. Surprised there wouldn't be scuff marks on the finish where the magazine assembly meets the stock. It makes no sense if it was done with stock removed because of the crisp line where bluing stops. I guess it could have been taped over. Very interesting information. Thanks.
There certainly are questions about how the metal got into that state. Like you mention though, if you're going to go through that effort would you really half-ass it by leaving it in the stock, taping up the wood and then going at it? While certainly possible it doesn't make a whole lot of sense as it would certainly be much easier to remove it from the stock to tackle that project. There isn't any apparent damage to the stock itself, so they would have had to have done a really good job protecting it. I think it's possible though obviously no way to know for sure without the previous owner stepping up and saying "Yup, I done did that". I also would have figured that they would have polished up the butt-plate but that is untouched. Who knows though.

In the end, the rifle has some questions about who did what to the metal and when for sure. I'd love to have a fully unaltered, un-upgraded version like what Martin has in the Show Case forum but for now this is as close to that as I've got an I'm ok with it for what it is.

ZeeBill, yes the pin protrusion worked out ok. I agree that visually it appears to need another turn or two to sit flush with the back of the cocking knob but that's as far is it would turn. The depth was ok and it didn't produce any pierced primers. That one won't be seeing much range time, if I cracked the stock then I'd just be kicking myself about it. But a few light hand-loads once a year should do ok. It actually shot much better than I was expecting it too. Not good enough for it to replace my 1897 that shoots lights out but far better than I thought it would. I didn't drop a thousand on it so I don't feel too bad about it.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Note how on the mag box they did the removal of the blue while the mag door was out of the box. The box stopped removal because I guess they didn't know how to remove the swivel. The blue near it is much more intact. I have seen many strip jobs where they apparently went over the areas they removed the blue with a Never Dull metal polish of some sort and this is what may have occurred here. It or use of steel wool later will remove the scuffing from the wheel. Wow this is a shame to see and think what the person who did this had before he got carried away cleaning and making this rifle more to his liking or prettier.

I have a 1900 Tula that is so similar I bought about 10 years ago at auction for $525 complete. It was apparently stored in a chicken coop judging by the smell and stains and rust on one side of it. It also had mice poop all throughout its barrels channel too. It came with a bayonet and scabbard too and I was really worried about it not being worth the money but the old configuration like this one talked me into spending the money. I used an old trick a real old timer passed on to me but it took hours to complete and I had to let the rifle sit outside for a week in good weather to get the smell out of it. You have to find an original old Buffalo nickel with all the old nickel metal in it to do the trick. You rub the edge of the nickel on the rust and stuff with Kroil Oil or a similar product and then wipe it clean from time to time. It took all of 3 days of time and I had cramps in my fingers for a week after I got done. You should see the gun today it looks just fine. Not a bit of blue missing and rust is almost impossible to pick out. If only the previous owner would have known this trick I bet you would have a $1000 plus rifle there with todays market. Matt Martin has a real beauty of one of these rigged rifles. I sent him the front sling swivel from a parts pile I had as it was missing and he still owes me his first born child. :lol: Lotema it is a crying shame you have to pay for another man's mistake! Look at it this way in my life time I know I will never see another one of those but you are younger and you may and there is your chance to move up and send that one to a new home and pay for the new one. Congrats again on a great find. Bill :D

PS that being such an old rifle the firing pin could have been dressed shorter at an earlier time and that would account for the pin being up into the cocking piece farther. I have often seen that on older rifles and I should have thought of that. Getting old forget my head if it were not tied on some how!