Inherited a Mosin Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Inherited a Mosin Nagant

Post by millman »

Are you calling the barrel shank the receiver? Is that h1514 on the under side of the barrel?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

millman wrote:Are you calling the barrel shank the receiver? Is that h1514 on the under side of the barrel?
I have noticed the number stamped on the underside of the barrel on my rifles is almost always different from the receiver number. The various numbers and codes put on different parts of the rifle has always been confusing to me. It seems to be inconsistent from rifle to rifle.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

steelbuttplate wrote:Bacon grease is excellent preservative, just ask JYD.
I though it was SPAM grease :?:
CamaroDMD

Post by CamaroDMD »

tjtM38 wrote:
CamaroDMD wrote:Oh...that was a typo. It says 3u4633 on the bottom of the magazine, not 4u. I was more asking about the lined out "2990."
Easy to explain. They took a serviceable magazine base and renumbered it to match the rifle serial number at the arsenal. The line through was the original number of the replacement part.
OK, that makes sense. I know with other milsurp weapons..."numbers matching" is very important to collectibility. Is that not the case with Soviet weapons as they were restamped like this by the USSR?
CamaroDMD

Post by CamaroDMD »

millman wrote:Are you calling the barrel shank the receiver? Is that h1514 on the under side of the barrel?
The H1514 is on the underside of the barrel near the front of receiver. The number (3u4633) I am referring to as "receiver" is on top of the rifle forward of the bolt (below the hammer and sickle).
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The part that has the year and serial # is part of the barrel (barrel shank). The receiver is what the barrel is screwed into and holds the bolt. The numbers under the barrel we think were used in the factory during assembly before the serial # was put on. Yours sounds like a normal force matched during refurb rifle. If one had an original rifle as it came from the factory, matching would be a thing. With the refurbs it doesn't mean that much.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
CamaroDMD

Post by CamaroDMD »

millman wrote:The part that has the year and serial # is part of the barrel (barrel shank). The receiver is what the barrel is screwed into and holds the bolt. The numbers under the barrel we think were used in the factory during assembly before the serial # was put on. Yours sounds like a normal force matched during refurb rifle. If one had an original rifle as it came from the factory, matching would be a thing. With the refurbs it doesn't mean that much.
That makes sense.

Were the majority of the rifles seen at gun shows in the 1990s and early 2000s for $75-$100 like this...force matched refurbs? I assume that is where this rifle originally came from.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Yes they were.

C. S. Lewis
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

I get the feeling a none forced original Mosin would probably be more of a unicorn then a all matching Mauser at this point. Would the be the correct assumption millman ? Mainly because not many probably escaped refurb.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Lavitias wrote:I get the feeling a none forced original Mosin would probably be more of a unicorn then a all matching Mauser at this point. Would the be the correct assumption millman ? Mainly because not many probably escaped refurb.
Yes I agree. An unrefurbed original matching Russian Mosin is a hard find. Especially without a Finnish connection.

C. S. Lewis