New film / WW1 "They Shall Not Grow Old"

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Almost_Samurai

New film / WW1 "They Shall Not Grow Old"

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Wasn't sure where this belonged but I have a feeling a lot of you would like to see this film. Feel free to move to appropriate location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrabKK9Bhds

Looks breathtaking.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
Fledge

Re: New film / WW1 "They Shall Not Grow Old"

Post by Fledge »

Can't wait. Hopefully it makes it on DVD soon.
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Peter Jackson is an amazing Producer/Director. I'm very excited for this. :3Dpop:
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nine million of them didn't grow old, and millions more got it from the pandemic in the year that followed.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Nine million of them didn't grow old, and millions more got it from the pandemic in the year that followed.
I can't even begin to fathom being thrown into that environment at 16 years old.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Looking forward to seeing it... :3Dpop:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Looks like a good one. :wink:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Almost_Samurai wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Nine million of them didn't grow old, and millions more got it from the pandemic in the year that followed.
I can't even begin to fathom being thrown into that environment at 16 years old.

That is why the youngest soldiers make the best ones. When you get older you would just say, "Go to hell, there is no fucking way I am going."

Many were looking forward to a great adventure. They got their money's worth. My Great Uncle went with an Alabama unit, attached to the Rainbow Division. He is still there, killed at Croix Rouge Farm buried in France.

That movie may get me to the theater for the first time in many years.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Almost_Samurai wrote:
Drummer boys attached to units on both sides of every war we fought before 1898 were often much younger than 16. Some were younger than 10.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

I've been waiting for this movie to come out, it looks like it will be really good. My great-grandfather (the gentleman in my avatar photo) came to America from Poland (Russia at the time) in 1913 and then was sent over to France to fight in 1917. He was gassed in the battle of the Argonne forest, was reporting missing in action and finally, a couple months later found in one of the military hospitals. I found the newspaper articles from the time that showed him missing and then later found. Always makes me wonder how my great-grandmother dealt with not knowing what happened to him for those couple of months. I like to watch the old documentaries, trying to catch a glimpse of him, or any of my other family that served then as well.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I've told this story before so I'll make it short.

My grandpa on my moms side was in WW1 and one day he was shot in the belly while they were walking across a potato field.
For three days he laid there with some of his intestines hanging out.He was hidden by potato plants and that's why they didn't find him right away.
I was told that when they picked him up to put him on the stretcher he begged to be shot because he was in so much pain.He survived but his life was forever changed.Mom told us that he was a very grumpy/bitchy guy for the rest of his life.

He died before I was born and I only have one pic of him.My older brother has the shoe boxes with all the other pics.

So here's a pic of my mom when she was 18 in 1940 with her dad on her left.

Dang, mom had nice legs. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

A lot of us own or have owned some of the rifles in that film. :vcool:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Peter Jackson discusses how they brought WW1 footage to the modern age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXMhv7E0o7c

Really quite interesting hearing Peter discuss how they turned 14-16 frame soundless video to modern color, sound, speed video.
I just hope nothing is too drastically altered by "filling in the gaps". Also, using lip readers is very interesting to me for old war time footage.
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Sonny wrote:Mom told us that he was a very grumpy/bitchy guy for the rest of his life.
I can't blame the guy. I get grumpy/bitchy if the toilet paper roll isn't changed out by the person who used it up. :chuckles:

Very cool picture, she was a very attractive woman.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

A very dapper looking couple there! I guess now I'll have to find where that is playing near me. We get few new or trial movies like that here in WV as they look on us as a kind of backward and slow state. We all like our guns though and that is why I live here. December 17th hmm that's a Monday. Bill
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

My brother and I made a date to go see it. My wife abhors war movies.

I am currently reading an old history of the Rainbow division, written right after the war. The Unit my Great Uncle served in was the 167th, a Guard Unit from Alabama, part of the Rainbow Division. Apparently those old Alabama boys were in strong demand when the Germans needed an Ass Whooping. The Germans thought Americans were too soft to be good soldiers. It was a mistake they made again a couple of decades later.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Am I reading this right, only in theatres on 2 days or is it opening those 2 days in different locations?
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Ironnewt wrote:Am I reading this right, only in theatres on 2 days or is it opening those 2 days in different locations?

United States - "It will be in theaters for 2 days only in the US. Dec. 17th and 27th, tickets go on sale Nov 16th."

U.K. - "Will air on the BBC in the U.K. on Nov. 11 — Armistice Day."
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

That doesn't make a lot of financial sense to me, but I am glad it was made.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

My great Uncle ran away and joined the Navy at 16, was at sea 18 months. I have a letter from the Commander to my great Grandmother dated 1918 saying that her "boy " had been located and would be returned home soon.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"