Barrel Bands / Screws

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Almost_Samurai

Barrel Bands / Screws

Post by Almost_Samurai »

I was curious if barrel band screws could be replaced or if it is part of the barrel band? Never had it apart and don't feel like learning by mistake on the only one I have. Screw head was stripped badly at one time and I would love to replace just the screw if possible being my bands match the rifle Arsenal mark. I did not see any on LTC. They are the Late model M91. I really hope this isn't considered altering the rifle.

Thanks!
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Barrel Bands / Screws

Post by millman »

The screws are peened on the end making them a permanent part of the band.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Yup, like millman mentioned, they're pretty much on there permanently. I'm always super careful when I'm taking them on or off because breaking one winds up being pretty expensive. I broke 1 once. Once. So far anyway.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

That's really a bummer, finding them for like $30 bucks and who knows if I'll even be able to find a matching. Fortunately it's the rear one and it doesn't need any adjustment. Just looks terrible.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Also another thing about these bands is that folks misunderstand how these band's work. The screws in them are not left handed thread like some think. When you want to loosen the band, you turn the screw to the right, which we think of as tighten. What it is doing is screwing in (righty tighty just like it should),but it is pushing on the opposite side of the band, opening the band . The band is basically a spring. When the band is reinstalled, you will then turn the screw to the left, which removes the interference of the screw and let's the band close under it''s own tension(it us a spring remember).
If you turn the screw to the left after the band is closed all the way, you will break the end of the screw where it is attached (peened) to the band. Then you are screwed.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I know that most folks here know this, but some don't.

C. S. Lewis
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

millman wrote:If you turn the screw to the left after the band is closed all the way, you will break the end of the screw where it is attached (peened) to the band. Then you are screwed.
Thanks millman, fortunately I posted here before I attempted ANY such cleaning or work and one of the users informed me of that first off which was VERY helpful. Just wish previous owners had taken such care to ask first.
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

So I found a seller, sent me pics. It is a Sestroryetsk marked, rear barrel band with a good screw. If I change that out does it hurt the rifles character?? If it's the same band and same markings? I am not an Arsenal.....
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

You can replace broken parts.

C. S. Lewis
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Fantastic! Very fortunate to find matching marked.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Many years ago Alsky found what we both thought were meant to be replacement screws for stripped or broken or just worn out screws in hand guard bands. The normally peened over ends were straight and unpeened. I tried a couple of ways to peen the ends over and make them recaptured in the band body but all that resulted was destroyed bands and screws. I tried at the time a pencil torch, it cut or destroyed the ends no matter how I tried to peen them over. I tried a TIG welder which froze the screw from the excess heat no matter how gentle I tried to be. Maybe if I was a better welder this might have worked but my skills weren't the best at that age. I tried silver solder on the shaft of the screw end and this actually worked somewhat but it also stood out like a sore thumb being shiny and big and ugly all at one time. Even trying to cold blue the repair it still looked horrid and was not satisfactory to me.

One thing I did learn was when I get a hold of replacement bands they immediately go into a bucket of mineral spirits in which they stay till I am ready to try and use them. They come out of the bucket and get sprayed outside with carb spray away from everything and I wear rubber gloves and I also recommend safety glasses too while doing this. Then I blow them off with 165 pound air pressure too and hit them with Kroil Oil. I try them to see if they work and if not they go back in the bucket and I try a different one. Often go through 8 or 10 of them before I find 2 that work somewhat and then the get hit with Balistoll and I try and sit them overnight to loosen even further. I have found a green plastic tooth brush like brush that has a real small end and a bigger brush on the other end and it will fit down into the screw threads on these bands so I use that on them too. Real time consuming and sometimes frustrating work! I have spent a couple of hours on two days sometimes finding 2 bands that work. You can also find bands that work but not within the grasping length needed to hold the band and hand guard in place and in that case you have to shim the band on the stock somehow to make them work. Those hammer in place round metal bands the Bulgarians (I think) used are handy in this case. If any one thing on the Mosin is not rugged and poorly designed it is these hand guard bands for sure! They are charging a King's ransom for them these days and make sure you tell them you will not accept ones that don't work well so don't bother sending them. The Finns little wood screws to hold them in place are a great addition if you even plan to shoot the rifle too. My only comment there is why have a non-shooting rifle so! Bill :wink:
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

zeebill wrote:Often go through 8 or 10 of them before I find 2 that work somewhat and then the get hit with Balistoll and I try and sit them overnight to loosen even further. Bill :wink:
Thanks Bill,
I really hope the first one fits.... I will make sure it's cleaned properly. There is no way in hell I am buying 8-10 of these things. Was fortunate enough to find one that had matching markings. It is a weird design, prone to failure. whether it be user error or long term use. I did have the opportunity to speak to the seller and get a pick of the litter in a sense. Everything looked to be satisfactory and they insisted the screws were properly operational. I guess I'll know when they show up.