Question on Arisaka Type 38 carbine

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Slow Ride

Question on Arisaka Type 38 carbine

Post by Slow Ride »

Hello All. I found this Type 38 carbine at a LGS. I think it's an early production, it has no series and a 5 digit serial number. The bolt doesn't match, bore is in good shape. My question is about the lack of a mum. I can't see any evidence of one ever being there. I originally thought it might have been a trainer, but it doesn't have any other characteristics of a trainer. The chamber doesn't show any signs of modification and the barrel looks like it's still 6.5mm, although I don't have any 6.5 jap rounds handy to see if it chambers okay. Appreciate any thoughts on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RazorBurn

Re: Question on Arisaka Type 38 carbine

Post by RazorBurn »

The stock looks damn near looks like the one on a Type 44 Calvary Rifle. It's definitely a Type 38 by the Japanese numbers. It looks to me like it is a Type 38 Calvary Rifle. Hard to tell about the mum, but my money is on scrubbed.

I know the Type 44's bring a bit more money as they're not as common to see in the wild, and I would assume a Type 38 Calvary Rifle would too.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

It’s a Type 38 Carbine, an early gun will match by assembly numbers not serial. Bolt and Bayo lug will match a number on underside of receiver. It’s not a trainer or at least not a purpose built one. Mum was scrubbed it’s possible someone blued over it.
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
Slow Ride

Post by Slow Ride »

Thanks. The assembly numbers are the same with everything but the bolt. The bolt pieces match each other, except for the firing pin.