Skirmisher checking in

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Skirmisher

Skirmisher checking in

Post by Skirmisher »

New member checking in with my mandatory first post. I collect military surplus firearms and have a pretty complete collection of WWI rifles and (mostly) carbines plus some handguns. Among this group is a nice Tula Arsenal Mosin model 91/30 dated 1917 and marked with the Imperial Czarist crest. I like to think it could be the last one to come off the line with such a marking. I expect it’s seen heavy service as it also has extensive Finnish markings. My other passion is 19th century black powder military rifles and, again mostly, carbines. I love shooting and making BP ammo for those big bore fire breathers. I was pleased to read your forum rules which clearly place out of bounds any irreversible changes to the historic firearms over which we hold temporary ownership and stewardship. That’s all for now. Now I can actually see the pictures on this fine website.

Skirmisher
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Skirmisher checking in

Post by bunkysdad »

Welcome to the forum. We have quite a collection of black powder arms amongst our members here and feel free to post anything you like on the BP forum. I hope you enjoy it here and I look forward to seeing some of your guns.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Pictures , we like pictures.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Welcome! Do you by any chance wear a Green coat or shoot with the NSSA? Bill :D
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Welcome aboard!!!

I collect late 1800's carbine BP single shots. I have about 6 of them now. I also fire all of them, so I make my own ammo also. I also shoot reproductions BP.

I used to collect Rev War muskets and still own about 12 of them. I don't fire any of those, but I started years ago collecting in that area till the prices got to where it took me 3 years to save for one musket. I have Charlevilles and Brown Bess that I paid less them $700 for back then. Don't know what they are worth now, but it makes no difference because I have never sold a firearm in my life. I own every one I have ever bough. That may change when I retire!

My favorite ammo to make is Snider, and 45-70 for the Trapdoor and Snider carbines I have. Nothing like firing those rifles either.

Darryl (Dolk)
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

love BP and have a lot of what you do. Looking forward to your posts.
Skirmisher

Post by Skirmisher »

I’ll see if I can post some pix once I can figure out how.

Zeebill, I am out West so my skirmish group is the Blue Gray Assn. My weapons of choice there are repos; a Smith carbine and a Parker Hale two band Enfield.
9A28FA8F-0647-4586-B8E2-BFA29A70F064.jpeg
Hopefully the picture will show up. If it does the carbines shown are, from top to bottom: .50 cal Maynard Type II, Sharps Carbine converted to .50-70, .45-70 1873 Trapdoor, .577 Snider Portuguese contract, .50-70 Remington Rolling Block, 11mm 1871 Mauser, 11mm 1873 Gras Artillery Musketoon. All are shooters with the Sharps and TD being the most accurate (so far).

Skirmisher
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

An excellent way to spend any afternoon. The Sharps 50 70 would be my choice does it have double triggers?
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Your 1917 Mosin-Nagant is likely an M91, not M91/30. Might want to check on that.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I shoot all reproductions also. The Sharps carbine and full length musket are both paper cartridge rifles and the I also have a Springfield musket too. Haven't shot BP since maybe 15 years ago when my eyes were giving me trouble and I got really bad shooting off hand. Still hit the nationals to say hello to old friends at Fort Shenandoah near Winchester where the NSSA shoots their nationals. Welcome aboard! Bill ;mywink;
Skirmisher

Post by Skirmisher »

Loco,
No double trigger on the Sharps but the prior owner did set it up for better shooting with a taller front site and reduced the trigger pull.

AMC,
You are no doubt correct about it being a model 91, I know it has some changes so I believed it was converted to be a 91/30. See the pix attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Looks like a Peter the Great M91.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Skirmisher

Post by Skirmisher »

?? Huh?

Pete was pretty great. Not many folks know that he was 6 foot eight and played a mean power forward on the Palace basketball team.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Search Peter the Great M91. You will find info about your rifle.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Skirmisher

Post by Skirmisher »

Ok, got it. Lots of Google references but I finally found one that actually explained the concept. Nice distinction for this rifle. I didn’t get the Finnish markings in the photos but they make it a nice hybrid. I expect it’s seen it’s share of service on both sides. I was in St. Petersburg in June and they are crazy for PTG there right now.

Skirmisher