Zastava M88A review w/pics

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
AMCHornet

Zastava M88A review w/pics

Post by AMCHornet »

I recently bought a Zastava M88A pistol from our lovely sponsor SOG International Inc. for $179. I must have gotten one of the last ones because they are currently showing out of stock, but this is one of their top sellers so they should be back in stock soon. It is a compact new manufacture Tokarev variant chambered in 9mm Luger. The date of manufacture on mine is July 2013.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/gallery/ ... t-9mm.html

I love the original TT pistols. I have a 1953 Romanian TT-C that I love to shoot. It fits my hand well, points naturally for me, is very accurate, simple, reliable, and is a thin, sleek design that feels good. I'd like to use it as my concealed carry gun except I don't like the idea of carrying on an empty chamber or on a live chamber at half cock since the cheap import safety on these is not very safe. I also don't want to put this nice old gun through the abuse and holster wear of frequent carrying. I bought the M88A because I thought it would be a better concealed carry Tokarev. The M88A is basically identical to the original TT aside from different grip panels, revised beavertail, pinky rest attached to the magazine, shortened barrel, 9mm Luger chambering, and better safety.

1953 Romanian TT-C and 2013 Zastava M88A together:

Safety:
The M88A has a slide-mounted safety that takes a little effort to reach with my right thumb and requires loosening my grip a little to operate. However, it is a very reliable safety. It disconnects the trigger from the sear, raises a hammer block to prevent the hammer from touching the firing pin, and locks the firing pin rearward to prevent it from touching the primer. I have no hesitations about carrying the M88A cocked and locked 1911-style. The safety does not lock the slide. There is also a magazine safety that blocks the trigger. The M88A does not have a half cock, but the slide-mounted safety's hammer block moves the hammer back off the firing pin when it is engaged.

Shooting:
Shooting off-hand at an indoor range with a two hand grip, sighted fire with one shot every two seconds, at 5 yards:

Romanian TT-C, 24 shots. PPU 7.62x25 85gr JHP.

Zastava M88A, 50 shots. S&B 9mm Luger 115gr FMJ.

Speaks for itself. I was nervous and shaking a little with the M88A since this was my first time shooting this gun, so it's hard to say how much of that is me and how much is the gun. I think it is safe to say though that the M88A is not as accurate.

The TT-C has never jammed on me, but the M88A jammed three times in those 50 rounds due to the next round failing to feed smoothly into the chamber. The round would get cocked sideways going into the chamber and jam the slide from going into battery. All three jams occurred within the first 25 rounds and did not repeat after I adjusted my grip to have a firmer hold of the gun. Perhaps a firmer grip is all it needed. The feed ramp is a little rough in finish, so some polish work there may help. Perhaps it just needs to break-in. That idea of break-in is a repeating theme with this pistol.

The M88A in 9mm Luger recoils more than the TT-C in 7.62x25. Perhaps the shorter barrel and lighter weight is making itself known, but the recoil is definitely sharper on the M88A.

Trigger weight is about the same on the M88A as the TT-C. Take up is about the same on both, creep is about the same on both (barely perceptible), and the break is about the same (pretty clean). The M88A's trigger is a little gritty compared to the TT-C, but it is getting smoother with use. It may equal the TT-C someday. The M88A trigger is smooth and not serrated, though it doesn't matter to me.

Ergonomics:
The M88A has different grip panels than the TT pistols. I think they look terrible, but they definitely give a tighter grip and are comfortable. I found that tighter grip helpful with the extra recoil and muzzle flip the M88A produces compared to the TT. It's not a hard pistol to control, but it takes a little more work than a 7.62x25 TT.

The M88A safety requires a little effort to reach with my right thumb. I have to loosen my grip a little to do it.

The slide lock on the M88A locks very positively. It actually locks more positively than the TT-C, which has always released way to easily.

I dislike the revised beavertail shape on the M88A. It alters the beautiful rounded shape of the TT and turns it into a more 1911-like shape which I don't like as much and does not protect the hammer as well when the hammer is cocked The hammer hangs way out there when it is cocked and would be easy to damage if the gun was dropped. It also could cause printing problems when concealed cocked and locked.

I have the same attitude with the pinky rest added to the bottom of the magazine. It ruins the clean lines of this gun and adds no real functionality. My hands are not big enough to need it and it adds an odd shape to the bottom of this otherwise sleek gun that could print when concealed. I suppose the pinky rest may come in handy in a really bad jam if you had to pry the magazine out, but I do not forsee that kind of jam occuring with the TT design. Much like other TT designs, the M88A does not drop it's magazine when you press the release. It simply pops down about 1/4 inch for you to pull it out.

Quality:
The quality of the M88A can be summarized by my photo of it next to the TT-C. Notice how crisp and precise the machining work is and how nice and even the bluing is, but also notice that the edges of the steel are rather sharp and the exterior finish of the steel is a little rough. Compare this to the smooth, rounded look of the TT-C. This continues to the inside of the gun. The quality of the steel is high, as shown by the hammer forged barrel. Machining tolerances are precise and all parts fit tightly together. This is not a sloppy or loose gun by any means. It fits together tighter than my TT-C, which I think is part of the M88A's problem. It feels a little "gritty" and tight as the parts slide against each other until they break in and wear smooth, which is already happening after only 50 rounds so far. I think it will be a very good gun after it breaks in. Overall I'd say quality is good.

Summary:I see potential here. I think I'll run a couple hundred rounds of different 9mm loads through it and do some drills. By then I'll be comfortable with it and it will be broken in and operate smoothly. I'll get a holster for it and start packing it. I may switch out the magazine floor plate if it prints. I'd recomend this gun to anybody who really likes the old military TT pistols and is looking for a new compact carry pistol. Just give the M88A some time to break in before you criticize it too much.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Zastava M88A review w/pics

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Always been a wheelgun man myself so I don't know much about these myself, but it looks cool. Nice find :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Thanks for a thoughtful write-up. I also like the TT, but would not carry it on a dare because of the safety issue. It looks like you may have found a good alternative.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

I've been wanting to get one and convert it to fire 7.62x25 or 9 mm with a barrel swap. Just because.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

You are welcome. I figured there are a lot of people here are interested in the Zastava pistols, which is why I really wanted to put this info out there...to help people. Assessing the quality of the Zastava is really difficult since the quality on it is such a mixed bag.

The good quality (better than TT-C):
-Uniform exterior metal finish. The gun has an even, brushed metal finish all over. (see photo)
-Excellent bluing job. Very even and dark. (see photo)
-Crisply machined exterior with lines and edges cut straight and true. (see photo)
-Excellent machining of the chamber, bore (including rifling), and crown. Looking down the pipe is very beautiful. Smooth and sharp the whole way.
-Most clearances and tolerances of parts fitting to each other are roughly the same as the TT-C.

The bad quality (worse than TT-C):
-Exterior machining finish. The metal is brushed in appearance rather than shiny and polished. It's not bad, but I've seen better. (see photo)
-Interior machining finish. The exterior of the barrel, the locking lugs, the feed ramp into the chamber, and the slide rails are rough in finish and make the gun feel gritty, possibly prone to jams. However, slowly working smoother with use.
-Loose clearance between the trigger group and the frame. The trigger group wiggles in the frame and falls out on its own.
-Loose clearance between the barrel and the barrel bushing. Possibly reduces accuracy.

Like I said: a mixed bag. Fortunately the TT design, like most Soviet designs, is pretty tolerant of imprecision. They can be made a little crudely and still work well. You are not going to get a super precise and polished gun for $200, and as long as you accept that, this will seem like a great gun for the money. That is the key with this gun: "good for what you paid". It functions, it is effective, it is tough, and it is an all-steel brand new gun for $200. Finding something all-steel, military grade, and factory new is hard these days.

Buying a Zastava M57, M70A, or M88A is a no-brainer if you like the original TT but want something new that you can throw into your tool box or carry everyday without feeling like you are unsafe or ruining a historic military relic. However, I only recomend the M88A if you want a compact pistol to conceal. Otherwise the M57 or M70A are better shooters and truer to the original TT.
Navy ret

Post by Navy ret »

Bought em both 88a was trouble some the 57 is a nice shooter. I kept the 57 dang thing was just to fun.
Thagomizer

Post by Thagomizer »

I have a M88a that is marked Sarco with wood grips. It is a solid gun and good shooter. Mags are a on/off thing as to availability. I need to get another mag for a backup.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Thagomizer wrote:Mags are a on/off thing as to availability. I need to get another mag for a backup.
That's the downside of the M88 and M88A using a unique magazine from other TT pistols.

I had the thought the other day about how neat it might be to have the M88A in 7.62x25. It would be pretty easy to covert it, but I don't think the 7.62x25 cartridge with its slower burning powder would be very happy with the 3.7 inch barrel of the M88 verses the 4.6" barrel of the standard TT. Muzzle blast would be nasty, recoil would probably be unpleasant, and the bullet would lose quite a bit of velocity. 9mm Luger is better suited to short barrels.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

InOmaha wrote:I've been wanting to get one and convert it to fire 7.62x25 or 9 mm with a barrel swap. Just because.
I have both barrels for both of my TTs. When you get the barrel, get the link and pin as well and it is just a field strip to change calibers. The TT mags load either ammo fine.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

SA1911a1 wrote:
InOmaha wrote:I've been wanting to get one and convert it to fire 7.62x25 or 9 mm with a barrel swap. Just because.
I have both barrels for both of my TTs. When you get the barrel, get the link and pin as well and it is just a field strip to change calibers. The TT mags load either ammo fine.
How does the recoil of 9mm compare to 7.62x25 in the same gun? I swear the M88A in 9mm recoils harder than 7.62x25 in a standard size TT.

I know somebody with a TT chambered in .357 SIG.
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

I have an M57 with 9mm and 7.62x25 barrels. I run M70A mags for 9mm with a spacer and M57 mags for 7.62x25. I found 4 M70A mags years ago.

The add on safety on the old models is not really a safety you can rely on. The M70A and M88A safety blocks the firing pin.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

I passed a couple hundred rounds through it today. Winchester white box 115gr FMJ, and some Winchester PDX1 147gr bonded hollow points. Not one single jam or malfunction. Seems to be smoothing out pretty well.

I'm more comfortable with it now too. I am never good with a gun I've never shot before. It takes me a while to become accurate with them. That grouping on paper I showed before? That was all me. Today I was relaxed and reliably popping off quart-sized engine oil bottles at 20 yards. I was pretty impressed with it's accuracy.
Thagomizer

Post by Thagomizer »

Here is my Zastava as well as the Norinco 213 from the other thread. Both in 9 m/m.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brucifer

Post by Brucifer »

Do the M88 and M88A use the same magazine? I have a M88A coming with one mag. Seems every source for one is out of stock. Guess the best I can do is keep a Gun Broker search going and hope I get to the email faster than someone else.

SOG had them for new and cheap not that long ago and now they are all gone (along with the FFL03 categories).
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Brucifer wrote:Do the M88 and M88A use the same magazine? I have a M88A coming with one mag. Seems every source for one is out of stock. Guess the best I can do is keep a Gun Broker search going and hope I get to the email faster than someone else.

SOG had them for new and cheap not that long ago and now they are all gone (along with the FFL03 categories).
They should be the same. As far as I know he only difference the "A" makes is having the slide-mounted safety.
Brucifer

Post by Brucifer »

Emailed Century Arms about the status of the M88A.
Zastava stopped all exportation to fill military contracts last year. They have not been discontinued just the company is not exporting anything at this time. We have tried to order spare mags from them for the past 2 years but have not received anything.
Still not paying $65 for a magazine.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have a few of these also. I will be growing the collection by one this weekend. Just a tip; watch for SOGs ads this week. Shown here is a Romanian TT-33 in 7.62X25, a Zastava in 9mm and a Norinco also in 9mm. I got these mags from different sources.
TT 33-Zastava 9mm-Norinco 213.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

I have to say that my report on the m88a is unchanged. It shed the pin that holds the cap on the end of the recoil spring rod, its less than a $2 fix and I can't get Century to talk to me. Busted and in the box.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Yeah, it seems like I got one of the last new production Zastava pistols SOG had, or that anybody had for the matter. Surplus ones are turning up, but it seems like all the new production ones disappeared right after I got mine. They will hopefully be back soon enough once Zastava fills their military contracts.
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

one can only hope...