Steyr M95 Carbine

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
awalker1829

Steyr M95 Carbine

Post by awalker1829 »

I just picked up this M95 from a pawnshop up in Mesa on Wednesday. Paid $478 for it-$420 plus tax. Safety check found no issues and I took the following photos of the tear down inspection.

The serial numbered parts all match, screws aren’t buggered up, no rust anywhere, no pitting and the wood looks good. The only repair on the stock is on the bottom of the butt-infantry sling swivel was removed and the hole and surrounding wood repaired at the arsenal. Hand guard is darker than the stock, but was probably an arsenal job, as is the plug about an inch behind the nose cap.

Got some 8x56R on order and will get the clips shortly. Looks like a decent deal.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Steyr M95 Carbine

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These were refurbs also, just not Soviet refurbs, but still east block done. They came in at the same time the Mosin refurbs did and sold right alongside them for many years.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Congrats, good little carbine. Their a blast to shoot, real shoulder thumper. Got two of them 5/6 years ago for $99 from J&G I believe. Wow if that's the new price norm, I should of bought a dozen.
IMG_1876.JPG
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1879.JPG
IMG_1882.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I've got one also, had to replace the forward barrel band as the stacking rod and bayonet lug were ground off. The original one was numbered to the rifle, the replacement one is unnumbered.

Never found out if it was done stateside or overseas!

Here's mine......

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23837&p=343633&hilit=Steyr#p343633
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

redspoon wrote:Congrats, good little carbine. Their a blast to shoot, real shoulder thumper. Got two of them 5/6 years ago for $99 from J&G I believe. Wow if that's the new price norm, I should of bought a dozen.

IMG_1876.JPG
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1879.JPG
IMG_1882.JPG
Milsurp prices are going up across the board-only difference is the rate of increase. All of the known sources are pretty much tapped out. CMP forecasts that the end of mass supply is in sight-Philippine Garands will probably be the last big return unless the S Korean rifles are accepted.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

These M95's kick like a mule! Bolt is pretty interesting to disassemble, and re-assemble. There are some good you tube videos that show how to do it.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I haven't been to J and G website for ages, you all reminded me to go back. Holy moly what sticker shock. The days of the $79.00 mil surp has gone.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

A fun shoulder thumper. I bought an Austrian and a Hungarian almost 15 years ago. These got a bad rap due to the available of ammo, so we were told. That 1938 Nazi ammo has been around in good supply as long as I have had mine.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

That’s what I figured. Jumped on this one as Steyrs don’t show up on the local second hand market that often. Ammo scarcity doesn’t faze me-as a reloader, I view that as a challenge. Got ammo on the way and need to order the clips.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Well, I liked the first one so much, I went up to Phoenix this morning and got another one. Traded in an old No. 4 Mk 1 that was nothing worth writing home about and got this:

Only found the one little spot of rust on the barrel-no rust or pitting anywhere else. The ladder sight indicates that this was originally a full length rifle that was cut down to carbine length. Had to clean it up as it had a dry, sticky residue on the bottom of the barrel and receiver-remnants of the grease. Evidently none of the previous owners bothered to pull the stock off. This one has a different front band and an electro pencilled serial number on the bolt body. I’m guessing that this one was possibly converted in Hungary.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Got out to the range Sunday afternoon and shot both M95s. They’re both good shooters and not bad on recoil if held against the shoulder firmly.

The shop also had a Budapest M95 on the rack-if it’s still there next time I drop in, I’ll get it too.
gurn

Post by gurn »

The Budapest is much less common. So yes,get it.

I remember getting a call from my CIA rep years ago about a deal on these with " cracks in stock" for $39 each if I remember correct. I think I bought 5 or 10. Wish I had bought more as none had any real cracks but they all had beautiful stock repairs.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Rustynail

Post by Rustynail »

Nice find. I love my m95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The top three are Styers, Two carbines and one rifle. The rifle has been converted to 8X56r from the original 8X50.
M95s and Swiss 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Sweet.