New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tmorgan365

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by tmorgan365 »

Hello,

Daughter bought me a Mosin for Fathers Day. Just learning about them.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

tmorgan365 wrote:Hello,

Daughter bought me a Mosin for Fathers Day. Just learning about them.
Welcome, and nobody believes you until you post a picture of it. :lol:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ElP

Post by ElP »

capt14k wrote:Why would you want to ruin the rifle. The Finns fixed it and made it serviceable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ruin? It as very subjective statement. "Serviceable" is not an argument, we are talking about collectible value here. It is antique rifle from Sestroretsk initial batch, that was frankensteined by finns in 20's and in this condition have very low collectible value for me. Just a bubba gun.

As I learn new info about mosins, I don't thik that it is actually M24, because the barrel is not replaced. Study continues...
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

ElP wrote:
capt14k wrote:Why would you want to ruin the rifle. The Finns fixed it and made it serviceable.

Ruin? It as very subjective statement. "Serviceable" is not an argument, we are talking about collectible value here. It is antique rifle from Sestroretsk initial batch, that was frankensteined by finns in 20's and in this condition have very low collectible value for me. Just a bubba gun.

As I learn new info about mosins, I don't thik that it is actually M24, because the barrel is not replaced. Study continues...
M24 would have some sort of Finn marking. There are stepped and unstepped barrels. SIG and Bohler made. If you start a thread and post pics we can tell you what you have.

IMO Russian Mosins aren't in the same class Finns. The Finns fined tuned them and made them into quality shooters. You can't De-Finn a Rifle. It will never be the same. Not to mention you are destroying the history of it. You won't find much help here on how to bubba, or as you put it unbubba, a piece of Finnish History.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

capt14k wrote:
ElP wrote:

M24 would have some sort of Finn marking. There are stepped and unstepped barrels. SIG and Bohler made. If you start a thread and post pics we can tell you what you have.

IMO Russian Mosins aren't in the same class Finns. The Finns fined tuned them and made them into quality shooters. You can't De-Finn a Rifle. It will never be the same. Not to mention you are destroying the history of it. You won't find much help here on how to bubba, or as you put it unbubba, a piece of Finnish History.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
:pointup: This. Please post pics. You could have something good. Please don't alter it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
superduck996

Post by superduck996 »

Hello, new member seeking info and history on a free rifles recently added to my collection.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

superduck996 wrote:Hello, new member seeking info and history on a free rifles recently added to my collection.
Welcome to the madness, post some pictures of your toys and you'll get some help. In the meantime here is a section of the forum that has a ton of information to help you ID model, country etc.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
knormal

Post by knormal »

Hello folks, I'm new here (obviously) and just picked up my first milsurp over the weekend, the ubiquitous MN M44! I'm hoping to share some photos and a couple of questions here shortly!
Dock54

Post by Dock54 »

Hey everyone! Dock from Louisiana. Just looking to research and gain some knowledge
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

knormal wrote:Hello folks, I'm new here (obviously) and just picked up my first milsurp over the weekend, the ubiquitous MN M44! I'm hoping to share some photos and a couple of questions here shortly!
:post_r:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
knormal

Post by knormal »

steelbuttplate wrote:
knormal wrote:Hello folks, I'm new here (obviously) and just picked up my first milsurp over the weekend, the ubiquitous MN M44! I'm hoping to share some photos and a couple of questions here shortly!
:post_r:
Done - here's my rifle thread. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30990
Reti4e

Post by Reti4e »

I have a MN with MO on receiver. It is not double stamped. What does this mean?
tk4ck

Post by tk4ck »

Tim here. Just got a 1934 m27 and picked up box of walmart ammo
RedBaran11

Post by RedBaran11 »

Hello, just joined as an owner of three lovely mosins, and kicking off the posting:)
Tailspin

Post by Tailspin »

My son and I just picked up our first Mosin-Nagant, a 1928 91/30. I found your forums surfing the web.

Paul
Rem91

Post by Rem91 »

hey guys, new member here, I love all things mosin but I have a special love for Finnish mosin’s, especially prefer rifles that have been captured.
thekirb

Post by thekirb »

Thanks for adding me to your forum. I am just getting started in the milsurp hobby. Bought my first 2 guns the other week; An M91/30 and a M44. Trying to learn as much as possible about these guns. Next on the list - M39.
thekirb

Post by thekirb »

So, I have yet to fire the two Mosins that I recently purchased. The bores on both look to be like new. Is checking the head space something I should be worried about? Some say yes, and others think not. I tried looking for the Okie gauges online, but have learned that the owner has passed away, and the sight is basically still up because it is in estate limbo.
thekirb

Post by thekirb »

So, as I try and roam around the sight, and look at recent posts, I guess I need to ask... is this a very active forum any longer? When I try and filter down by recently posted or relied to in the last year, it comes up with 3? Am I ding something wrong?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

thekirb wrote:So, I have yet to fire the two Mosins that I recently purchased. The bores on both look to be like new. Is checking the head space something I should be worried about? Some say yes, and others think not. I tried looking for the Okie gauges online, but have learned that the owner has passed away, and the sight is basically still up because it is in estate limbo.
Okie was a one man show, so far as I know he had nobody to take over the business. There are imitations of his work out there, I do not recomment them, I would now suggest contacting Midway or Brownells to get the bullet style no/go headspace gauge. Yes, I always suggest checking the headspace before firing any used rifle unknown to you. Brownells has the field gauge in stock, that will do well enough for these rifles with rimmed cartridge, rimless I would hold out for the No/Go. Scroll down the page in the link and you will find it.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... 19183.aspx
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt