New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by millman »

Show us some more pics.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Legionary

Post by Legionary »

Hi millman. I’ve posted a new thread. It’s 1914 from Izhevsk if I understand the markings correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feedinggrounds

Post by Feedinggrounds »

Hello Folks, My name is Dan, AKA Feedinggrounds the name of my favorite fishing lake. I have been interested In Mosins for a while. I am very close to owning my first, closed the deal just have to make time to go pick it up. I looked at a few and settled on a 1946 M44 mainly due to price and condition. Is it bad, when over a few weeks you buy a few hundred rounds of ammo for a rifle you knew you were going to buy, and was just waiting on the right deal? The Mosin I picked has No bayonet or cleaning rod, the rest matches and bore is pretty good. Keeping it original tracking down missing parts and hoping to possibly hunt deer on select days.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Post a pictures of what you have on the main Mosin Nagant thread. From what you have it could be an M38. Do the post before making any changes or buy stuff you don't need.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Feedinggrounds

Post by Feedinggrounds »

Longcolt44 wrote:Post a pictures of what you have on the main Mosin Nagant thread. From what you have it could be an M38. Do the post before making any changes or buy stuff you don't need.
I was told it had a bayonet, still has the double ear mount for it with witness marks. Also the cleaning rod has a spot also. Did a M38 have the mount but no bayonet?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Feedinggrounds wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:Post a pictures of what you have on the main Mosin Nagant thread. From what you have it could be an M38. Do the post before making any changes or buy stuff you don't need.
I was told it had a bayonet, still has the double ear mount for it with witness marks. Also the cleaning rod has a spot also. Did a M38 have the mount but no bayonet?
No. It sounds like an M44 with the bayo removed. That and I am not sure the made M38s in 1946.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

millman wrote:
Feedinggrounds wrote:
No. It sounds like an M44 with the bayo removed. That and I am not sure the made M38s in 1946.
Guess I misread his post, no M38s in '46.
Feedinggrounds

Post by Feedinggrounds »

Correct bayonet is a double ear, and kind of hard to find it seems. I am not smartphone equipped, a flipper still due to I am very hard on phones at work. But will try to get pics posted. It has spots of shellac still but stock looks to have been rubbed with a Scotch bright pad. All stock marks are still there, I am happy about that. Is repairing the shellac doable or best left alone? Metal and bluing seem in very good condition with no rust I have found yet. I have wanted a Mosin Nagant for quite a while, I have my first... now I want a 91/30 And a crash course in knowledge, these things are too much fun. I see me having collectors but also see some good shooters in my future. Hoping for lots of overtime this summer at the golf course's to pay for all my hobbies. Looking for a bayonet for sure. :pointleft:
markvght

Post by markvght »

1944 m44 I picked up yesterday. No import marks I can see. It has those diamonds with c's in the middle all over it. What can you guys tell me about it?ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
markvght

Post by markvght »

1944 m44 I picked up yesterday. No import marks I can see. It has those diamonds with c's in the middle all over it. What can you guys tell me about it?ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

markvght

Post by markvght »

1944 m44 I picked up yesterday. No import marks I can see. It has those diamonds with c's in the middle all over it. What can you guys tell me about it?ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Elevator Ed

Post by Elevator Ed »

Hi All,

I have a Romanian 1955 M44. I've owned the gun for 17 years but just started to do some research on just what it is I have.
It is a clean shooter, all numbers and markings match EC1728 with the exception of the Bolt.
The bolt has the triangle stamp on it but the number stamp reads OH2646. could this be a Soviet Bolt, or a Romanian replacement?
Another interesting note is the lack of an import stamp of any kind. Please shed some light.
:chill:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Hey Ed, post this information along with pictures on the main Mosin thread. We need pictures of the different markings and stamps to be able to get you the right information.
Matt556

Post by Matt556 »

I'm Matt and have loved collecting MNs for a few years. This is a great sight and have learned a lot so far. Thanks for all you guys do to help the collectors out there. I have a few for sale that are excess to my collection. So far have been using GunBroker, maybe this would be a better place to sell Mosins in the future. Your thoughts? I think my favorite two are my Remington and New England Westinghouse M91s. My oldest M91 is from 1898, one of my shooters in 1916 (ten years ago could hit a pie place at 300 yards). I only have one of the 59s. Thanks again for all you do.
Elevator Ed

Post by Elevator Ed »

IMG_0275.JPG[/attachment[attachment=0]IMG_0276.JPG
]

Here are two pics for your reference.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:chill:
tomthewestsider

Post by tomthewestsider »

Afternoon, all. The name's Tom. I just ran across this forum while looking for information on a M91 barreled receiver I recently picked up. I've decided to join and see what I can learn. If anyone's curious, it's 1897 dated, has the full barrel length, and I believe is an Izhevsk.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

tomthewestsider wrote:Afternoon, all. The name's Tom. I just ran across this forum while looking for information on a M91 barreled receiver I recently picked up. I've decided to join and see what I can learn. If anyone's curious, it's 1897 dated, has the full barrel length, and I believe is an Izhevsk.
It's gonna be hard finding a stock for that Tom, keep on keeping on, it can be done. Ask questions here on the forum about parts and doing it right.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
CAVSGT78

Longtime lurker, but new member

Post by CAVSGT78 »

Hello. My name is Jeremy. I live in NW OK, and am the proud owner of 2 Mosins. I’ve owned Mosins since 1998. When I went through my first divorce in 2004 I lost my Chinese type 53. When I bought it at the pawn shop the guy called it a Chinese 49, but i later learned from some buddies that there was no such thing. I bought that mowing for $89 in 1998. It was my first milsurp and got me hooked. I now own a Russian 1934 91/30 hex all matching, and a Russian M44. I won’t discuss the latter as the rules say that if it’s been modified we can discuss the firearm. I’d love to get a new stock for it to return it to its original configuration one of these days. It’s the only thing that’s been modified.

I’m always on the lookout for more mosins, but as their values go up they’re becoming more and more expensive. Being on a fixed income it takes me awhile to save for stuff like that.

Have a good day.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

markvght wrote:1944 m44 I picked up yesterday. No import marks I can see. It has those diamonds with c's in the middle all over it. What can you guys tell me about it?ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Someone has put a Russian M-44 in a Polish stock.

:vconfused: How did I capture this post? It's saying I posted this rifle?. I just replied
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
CAVSGT78

Post by CAVSGT78 »

steelbuttplate wrote:
markvght wrote:1944 m44 I picked up yesterday. No import marks I can see. It has those diamonds with c's in the middle all over it. What can you guys tell me about it?ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Someone has put a Russian M-44 in a Polish stock.

:vconfused: How did I capture this post? It's saying I posted this rifle?. I just replied
That’s a pretty cool find [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk