My New M91 Finn

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
butcharoot

My New M91 Finn

Post by butcharoot »

Got this at a gun show a couple of weeks ago. It has a great looking bore, it's a 1942 B barrel. It has some shiny finish applied to the stock and it looks like it has been re-blued. I prefer rifles that show their real history. I have not shot it yet. Thanks for looking, Butch
tailgunner67

Re: My New M91 Finn

Post by tailgunner67 »

Its a real shame that a very collectable rifle was completely refinished.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Pretty rifle (I love the butt stock), but it looks to have had the original finish removed and then refinished. But, enjoy it and welcome to the forum.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

tailgunner67 wrote:Its a real shame that a very collectable rifle was completely refinished.
re-finished (probably) by Finland.

You can't tell like a Russian Mosin exactly who finished it. I can show Finn re-finished work that came straight out of the arsenals and it looks just like this.

Although, that stock finish looks a little too perfect (and no dents!!!)

Dolk

Denny-

Post by Denny- »

Congratulations on your new B Barrel butcharoot. It should be a joy to shoot as these rifles cans be very accurate. Good chance that it was refinished in the US but you never know. You can see a few blondes hanging on the wall in this SA_KUVA pic from the winter war. Denny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice B, Finland built these rifles, rebluing and stock refinishing were part of that build. Everything I see here is within the range of what I see on the Finn built M91's in my own collection.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt

Post by WWW »

Looks like a beautiful rifle!

More than once, people have been misled by pictures taken indoors under artificial light.

I would love to see pictures of the rifle taken outdoors under natural light before I could pass judgement on the Finnish finish. :D
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
P_mo80

Post by P_mo80 »

Nice rifle! I'm a newb to mosin's and the forum for that matter, so I let me throw out a question for everyone; the estucheon's on this are solid. I've seen this in other rifles, so I know it's a "thing" ...what's the history / etiology on those?
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

They just look solid, these are Finn estucheon's and hangers.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

WWW wrote:Looks like a beautiful rifle!

More than once, people have been misled by pictures taken indoors under artificial light.

I would love to see pictures of the rifle taken outdoors under natural light before I could pass judgement on the Finnish finish. :D
Me too. Some pictures outside in the shade would be awesome!

To the OP, that is a damn nice looking Finn M91! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...