More Modelo Argentino..

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
TulaTom

Re: More Modelo Argentino..

Post by TulaTom »

I like how you guys resurrected this post on Groundhogs Day!

Nice police carbine.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Don't slow down for us. We like to see new rifles.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
lired

Post by lired »

On the G.N. markings:
A couple of other interesting bits. There are 1909/47 bayonet productions shown in Webster that have no-crest markings for G.N., C.S.F.,P.M., and P.N.M.. Also as to bayonets, I've read that the serial numbers on Argentine manufactured bayonets matched the rifles. If that is so, it would put the G.N. production at 405 rifles and bayonets, with bayonet serial numbers between 501-905 which are consistent with the secondary serial numbers on the G.N. rifles I've seen online.
Another interesting fact that may be relevant. According to a book excerpt on Argentina under Juan Peron, in November 1951, in order to 'strengthen the powers of the Internal Ministry at the expense of the Army', he created a new 'internal security body' (CFS).1951 he put the non-army armed forces of Gendarmerie Nacional (G.N.), Consejo Federal de Seguridan(C.F.S), Policia Maritima(P.M.) and Prefectura Maritima(PNM) under his trusted Secretary of the Interior, Angel Borlenghi. The non-crested production of rifles with those 4 markings begins in 1952 (Webster) shortly after that consolidation, and the markings would clearly identify those weapons and units as separate from the crested arms of the Army from that point forward. I wonder if your Argentine friend would have any insight to share. Really interesting history.
LIRed
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

You are on to something with the bayonet discussion. This isn't the first time I've heard that a clearer understanding of these Argentine rifles, based on the bayonets, has shed life into very gray areas. I sent a note to my friend and will forward any information she might be able to provide.
lired

Post by lired »

Thanks qz2026!
In regard to your question about the Webster picture of the crest for the G.N. Second Variant. In the book and with the help of a hand magnifier I can clearly see 'Gendarmeria Argentina' stamped under the crest.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Yes, this is what I assumed it said for V2. V1 is supposed to be on the rail. Just not enough detail on these guns in that book.