Howell cylinder

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
locomotiveguy

Howell cylinder

Post by locomotiveguy »

I bought this Pietta 1858 from Cabella's a couple years ago and never shot it. I decided to get a Howell cylinder in 45 Colt to motivate me to shoot it. 45 Colt is a light year ahead of a cap and round ball load and it is easier to clean. By the time the deed was done I was down almost 3 Benjamins and that did sting a lot. Both groups shown were at 25 yards and the smaller group put 7 230 gr cowboy loads by Magatec under a playing card. I am quite pleased with the way it shoots and its accuracy for non adjustable sights
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Howell cylinder

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice, I should have bought one of these cylinders when JYD told me about them 10 years ago.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Just keep in mind that in some places installing one of these magically turns your "non firearm" muzzleloader requiring no FFL or CCW into a modern handgun with all licensing requirement's.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

Very interesting jyd. I don't quite see the implications except maybe the sale of the pistol cylinder installed. Is there something else?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

locomotiveguy wrote:Very interesting jyd. I don't quite see the implications except maybe the sale of the pistol cylinder installed. Is there something else?
It only matters if your state requires licensing of modern handguns, the moment you put that cylinder in the revolver you have made it into a modern handgun in the eyes of the law in many states. If your state requires a CCW of some sort to have a modern handgun in your vehicle or outside of your own home then it can be risky to haul that converted revolver to the range. Every state has different gun laws, make sure you know the law in your state pertaining to the possession and transport of modern handguns. In some states simply loading the round balls into the cylinder is enough for the piece to be considered a modern unlicensed handgun same as if you had a Beretta M9 sitting there.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
locomotiveguy wrote:Very interesting jyd. I don't quite see the implications except maybe the sale of the pistol cylinder installed. Is there something else?
It only matters if your state requires licensing of modern handguns, the moment you put that cylinder in the revolver you have made it into a modern handgun in the eyes of the law in many states. If your state requires a CCW of some sort to have a modern handgun in your vehicle or outside of your own home then it can be risky to haul that converted revolver to the range. Every state has different gun laws, make sure you know the law in your state pertaining to the possession and transport of modern handguns. In some states simply loading the round balls into the cylinder is enough for the piece to be considered a modern unlicensed handgun same as if you had a Beretta M9 sitting there.
Good point, it's no longer concidered an antique as it takes modern made easily aquired ammo. Funny how something so simple can potentially bite you in the ass.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

Just glad Texas respects it's citizens and doesn't need to stick their noses into every aspect of life.