Painted yellow box on stock

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NLMosin

Painted yellow box on stock

Post by NLMosin »

In the picture mine is the larger. The other picture in the red circle is a pic I found on a sellers website. Anyone else have one of these?
yellowbox.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
redspoon

Re: Painted yellow box on stock

Post by redspoon »

Got one similar on the buttplate of a T53. Have no clue on the purpose.
IMG_2595.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I've got a T53 just like yours too redspoon...
53butt1sm.jpg
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Usually the consensus guess is they are some kind of marking used during maybe a counting or sorting operation in the country that previously owned them. The white (generally yellow white) splashes of paint on Finnish ones are said to denote the test rifle they checked from time to time when they were in storage to keep an eye on their condition. When we are talking about Combloc ones I would say it could be any one of a hundred different things. Maybe where Ivan left off counting when he took a lunch break? Whatever it is I would say its not too important. Bill :D
evildog

Post by evildog »

Leftover ketchup and mustard from russian BBQ? lol