Need Help - Polish M44 Year Dates

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
The Bolt Man

Need Help - Polish M44 Year Dates

Post by The Bolt Man »

I need the help of forum members to determine how many year dates can be found on the Polish M44 carbines. These M44 carbines have the oval with the number "11" in it.

With little to no feed back in my original request as to what years Poland manufactured the M44, I am thinking another approach may work. Actual year dates are desired because there is considerable difference of opinion between this forum and other sources as to the years Poland manufactured the M44.

I would like this forums members to report to this thread, any Polish M44 carbine barrel dates observed. Pictures would be the best way. I don't need the serial numbers so they can be hidden if desired. Maybe this way, we can get an idea of just what years the Polish M44 was produced.

Don't be afraid to report a date that has already been reported. The more reported the better. It will help determine which years more were produced.
desdem12

Re: Need Help - Polish M44 Year Dates

Post by desdem12 »

I don't mind helpin out, here is my pole :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Siam

Post by Siam »

7.62x54r.net web site lists the Polish M44 as being made from 1951 to 1955. If you have never looked at their info site you should. They have a bunch of good stuff listed there.
Lapin's book lists production from at least 1948 and continued to at least 1962.
Should be interesting to see your survey results.
Ed
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Lapin's book is frequently wrong. It's not a very good reference now, with internet sites up. 51-55 for Poles.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
The Bolt Man

Post by The Bolt Man »

I appreciate all the help I can get. Keep the data coming.

I searched some auctions and found one Polish M44 listed as a 1958 but the picture clearly show the date to be 1953.

So far I have found 1 - 1951, 20 - 1952's, 7 - 1953's, 2 - 1954's and 3 - 1955's. These are all clearly dated in the pictures provided. For some reason the 1952 dated Polish M44's are the most abundant.
The Bolt Man

Post by The Bolt Man »

I will be updating the reply with the numbers of Polish M44 carbines by year date as more information comes in.

As of now, I have a total of (33) Polish M44 Carbines with the year documented with pictures. Of that 33 M44's, (20) are 1952. The earliest is a 1951 and the latest are 1955 dated.

Granted this sample is very small compared to the number that were probably produced, but so far this data agrees with the years of production found on this forum. The data shows a majority of these Polish M44's with the 1952 date. I have no way of knowing if this indicates 1952 was a high production year or if for some strange reason, more 1952 dated Polish M44's were imported from some unknown location.

Please continue to add any Polish M44 carbines to this thread that you are will to share. The more data the more meaningful it will be.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You might want to contact Karl-Heinz Wrobel, author Of Drei Linien Die Gewehre Mosin-Nagant. He was collecting information on non Soviet built M44's for years. My own is a 1953.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt