Original matching 1941 Podolsk SVT-40....opinions needed

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
lthilsdorf

Original matching 1941 Podolsk SVT-40....opinions needed

Post by lthilsdorf »

I had a gentleman bring me this rifle at my table at a gun show asking for information on it. I'm not SVT expert so I told him what I knew and he asked me if I wanted to make an offer. We talked back and forth and came to an agreement we both liked, and now I own my first SVT-40. It looks to be in all matching condition, but I'm not sure what parts should have the serial number. What I see looks to be all correct, with many of the small parts having the correct proof on them.

No Finn markings, but it's a non refurb with some pitting and roughness on the front portion and some of the other surfaces. There's a crack in the hand guard too. Could this be a non marked Finn capture? I'd expect some parts to be mismatched if that was the case.

He didn't have the magazine on him but I'm gonna grab it next week when he digs it out.

So what's the overall opinion on this one? I don't know much about them but liked the look of this one.

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
EddieD25

Re: Original matching 1941 Podolsk SVT-40....opinions needed

Post by EddieD25 »

I know nothing about these and can't offer any help, but that is a really cool rifle! :thumbsup:
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Don't want to hurt your feelings but dang that gun looks nasty and something tells me that the bore is in even worse shape.
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Sonny wrote:Don't want to hurt your feelings but dang that gun looks nasty and something tells me that the bore is in even worse shape.
I call it "honest use", haha! And actually the bore looks pretty good relative to the metal on the gas piston area. With the cracked hand guard I'm not sure if I'll shoot it or not.

Sonny

Post by Sonny »

mwt

Post by mwt »

lthilsdorf wrote:
Sonny wrote:Don't want to hurt your feelings but dang that gun looks nasty and something tells me that the bore is in even worse shape.
I call it "honest use", haha! And actually the bore looks pretty good relative to the metal on the gas piston area. With the cracked hand guard I'm not sure if I'll shoot it or not.
They're a blast to shoot - my refurb is very accurate with my mild handloads but I had to crank the gas port fully open to get reliable function.

My first 5 shot group with it at 100 yds after zeroing the sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

It is pretty rough, but a relatively rare variant. How is the gas system? Depends on what the price was if it was a good deal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

capt14k wrote:It is pretty rough, but a relatively rare variant. How is the gas system? Depends on what the price was if it was a good deal.

I have about the price of a refurb into this one, so I think I did well. The front is rough but it's nice overall so I'm happy with it.

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

lthilsdorf wrote:
capt14k wrote:It is pretty rough, but a relatively rare variant. How is the gas system? Depends on what the price was if it was a good deal.

I have about the price of a refurb into this one, so I think I did well. The front is rough but it's nice overall so I'm happy with it.
So I'm guessing around $1,000?. If so you did well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Seeing the stock matches the other serial numbers .....(Barrel shank, trigger guard, bolt handle, bolt .... That is hard to find)

That stock looks like it was originally a AVT? I'm not and expert on these rifles, but I see indications it "may have" been a AVT. Like the groove in the stock above the trigger. Isn't that where the select fire went? If so, then the serials match to the rifle indicate this rifle is all original parts. Certaily not refurbished. I think the finish on the stock is correct for a SVT / AVT also. I wonder where this rifle was hidden away?.

Very nice find. Even with it's condition, it's and untouched SVT and that is hard to find.

Dolk

Correction, if that slot above the trigger is on both sides, it's a AVT. If it is only on one side, it's a SVT. So, I can't see the other side. I also don't see the "A" branded on the stock .... so this may not be an ex-AVT. Still, it is all original and not refurbished.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

That is one cool rifle, I officially, "Like It".
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Great rifle! I'd be thrilled to have that rifle and pick it over a refurb any day.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

Great rifle. Russian doctrine. Throw as much lead as fast as you can. God Bless America. Pro Libertate Patria