Romanian

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SA1911a1

Romanian

Post by SA1911a1 »

I made a quick stop at a gun show this afternoon. A lotta nothing except for a gorgeous, matching, unissued Romanian M-44. I passed on the deal after the seller wouldn't go below $350.00. I may live to regret it. I did see a couple of other Mosins, the one that sticks in my memory is the $450.00 1940, M-19/30 labeled as an M-91.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Re: Romanian

Post by ffuries »

I've seen one Romanian M44 (Which happened to be matching) since I started collecting in 2012 and it came home with me. Haven't seen another one yet.....
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

seen a fair number of original matching 1954 Romanian M44's, but 53 & 55's are like hens teeth.

IIRC Rongo has an original matching 55 Romanian M44.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Miller Tyme wrote:seen a fair number of original matching 1954 Romanian M44's, but 53 & 55's are like hens teeth.

Mine is just a regular run of the mill 1954 Romanian apparently! :brolleyes:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have one Roma M44, and it's in unissued condition, $350 wouldn't touch any M44 in that condition. $550-$700 maybe, not mine of course, but others in like condition. Romanian M44's were much lower production than any other M44 maker, and few in unissued condition arrived here 25 years back.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I must have got one of those, a perfect stock and richest bluing I've ever seen on any gun.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Not mine it is well used, worn bluing, but still matching. Not forced matched, the SN's on the reciever, bolt, butt plate, and magazine floor plate all have the 2 letters preceeding the numerical portion of the SN. Paid $275.00 for mine in August 2014.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

My Romy M44 is a 1953. Bolt and butt plate are electro penciled, the rest is matching.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I think you should have bought it for that price assuming all visible parts were Romanian. Minimum value is $350+ for these when just matching and in fairly good condition. Yes, I think you will regret this. I've got a couple of these that won't be for sale anytime soon...
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

qz2026 wrote:I think you should have bought it for that price assuming all visible parts were Romanian. Minimum value is $350+ for these when just matching and in fairly good condition. Yes, I think you will regret this. I've got a couple of these that won't be for sale anytime soon...
I struggled over it, and I did figure that $350.00 was about the going price, but I try not to buy unless I get a bargain. I will start selling out in a couple of years and I want to make a profit on my collection; you can't do that paying full retail for short-term purchases.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Honestly. If all milsurp prices continue their recent rise, you will still make a profit on it. The supply seems to have dried up everywhere.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Miller Tyme wrote:seen a fair number of original matching 1954 Romanian M44's, but 53 & 55's are like hens teeth.

I do. Along with a 53 & 54. So few Romanian M44's made in the first place; And to find them All matching is a challenge. I feel one day they will come into their own as a blue chip collectible.
SA1911a1 wrote:I made a quick stop at a gun show this afternoon. A lotta nothing except for a gorgeous, matching, unissued Romanian M-44. I passed on the deal after the seller wouldn't go below $350.00. I may live to regret it.

In todays market that's not bad. :pointup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

:pointdown:
Got lucky and found a '55 all matching.
55rom.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote:
qz2026 wrote:I think you should have bought it for that price assuming all visible parts were Romanian. Minimum value is $350+ for these when just matching and in fairly good condition. Yes, I think you will regret this. I've got a couple of these that won't be for sale anytime soon...
I struggled over it, and I did figure that $350.00 was about the going price, but I try not to buy unless I get a bargain. I will start selling out in a couple of years and I want to make a profit on my collection; you can't do that paying full retail for short-term purchases.
Are you watching GB? I've seen a couple sell on there for around $300 this past two months. There are two on there now, one fixed at $377. The ones I watched were listed as Russian.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"