'34 with A in star...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NLMosin

'34 with A in star...

Post by NLMosin »

I almost forgot how to buy a mosin there have been so few opportunities locally. My mosin budget is busting at the seams. And you know how it is with a budget, you dont spend it this year you wont get it next! :chuckles: JK, I saw this '34 with a mark I havent seen many of so I just plain old paid the man. Sometimes you just need another toy... :oops:

Ten years from now I'll sell it for what I paid for it. No matter. Still worth more in the end than all those lottery tickets the missus has bought all those years.... :roll:
20170902_144404.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
redspoon

Re: '34 with A in star...

Post by redspoon »

Very nice, I don't recall that mark as well. Is that the same star on the receiver? :vcool: :vcool:

Post up more pics when you get a chance.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Nice find. Ive only seen that star a couple times over the years, not sure what it means.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Isn't that a Chinese/ North Korean mark, the star?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

steelbuttplate wrote:Isn't that a Chinese/ North Korean mark, the star?
Stars are popular around the world. The North Korean star is enclosed in a circle, and certainly not likely to contain an "A."
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

NLMosin wrote:I almost forgot how to buy a mosin there have been so few opportunities locally. My mosin budget is busting at the seams. And you know how it is with a budget, you dont spend it this year you wont get it next! :chuckles: JK, I saw this '34 with a mark I havent seen many of so I just plain old paid the man. Sometimes you just need another toy... :oops:

Ten years from now I'll sell it for what I paid for it. No matter. Still worth more in the end than all those lottery tickets the missus has bought all those years.... :roll:
20170902_144404.jpg
You got that lottery ticket thing right. You are more likely to find Stalin's personal M-38 than hit that big jackpot.

A plumber I worked with in the 90s hit the lottery for a cool half-million two weeks after hitting a bingo game for 50K. Less than a year later, he lost all of the toys he bought (on credit!) had his new house foreclosed, and was borrowing money from the boss during the week to make it to payday. It must have been a hell of a party year.

Give me a half million and the rest of the world could kiss my cute little ass! (but I mean that in the kindest way :) ) Not likely since I haven't bought a ticket in probably 20 years.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

SA1911a1 wrote:
NLMosin wrote:I almost forgot how to buy a mosin there have been so few opportunities locally. My mosin budget is busting at the seams. And you know how it is with a budget, you dont spend it this year you wont get it next! :chuckles: JK, I saw this '34 with a mark I havent seen many of so I just plain old paid the man. Sometimes you just need another toy... :oops:

20170902_144404.jpg
You got that lottery ticket thing right. You are more likely to find Stalin's personal M-38 than hit that big jackpot.

A plumber I worked with in the 90s hit the lottery for a cool half-million two weeks after hitting a bingo game for 50K. Less than a year later, he lost all of the toys he bought (on credit!) had his new house foreclosed, and was borrowing money from the boss during the week to make it to payday. It must have been a hell of a party year.

Give me a half million and the rest of the world could kiss my cute little ass! Not likely since I haven't bought a ticket in probably 20 years. I don't believe in Santy Clause, the Easter Bunny or lottery tickets.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

SA1911a1 wrote:
steelbuttplate wrote:Isn't that a Chinese/ North Korean mark, the star?
Stars are popular around the world. The North Korean star is enclosed in a circle, and certainly not likely to contain an "A."

On 7.62x54r.net they question whether its Russian. I would post more pics but I already packed it away with the others as we are moving soon. Its really just a garden variety refurb otherwise, matching numbers right down to the spike. I could swear I've seen the star with A on a Chinese SKS. I guess someday we'll never know...

...if I won a half million after taxes I'd stop working and just make furniture. We dont need much me and the misses. She's the one with the 'chance' bug. We are in the process of downsizing into our golden years. Moving to the country. 1890's house, 1824 stone building that will be the shop. I'm getting out of town! :D
People live together.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

There is a star similar, can't remember for sure, on NVA sks's. I think I've seen them on here.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Very unusual to have the star on the barrel and the receiver. Like the other guys, I have no idea where the stampings came from. The "A"..., this almost looks like a mis-stamped Ukrainian refurb stamp - 2nd GRAU, Kiev?? I think, if the price were right, I'd be all over this gun... This is just the kind of oddball that attracts me... Very cool...
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

steelbuttplate wrote:There is a star similar, can't remember for sure, on NVA sks's. I think I've seen them on here.
Star 1 on NVA Mosin-Nagants I believe.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

qz2026 wrote:This is just the kind of oddball that attracts me... Very cool...

Me too. Guess it takes and oddball to attract an oddball... :lol: LIke I said earlier, the '34 is otherwise your typical refurb all numbers matching in great shape. Looks like it came back and didnt go back out after its last refurb. Must have come home with the star A on it...
People live together.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

ffuries wrote:
steelbuttplate wrote:There is a star similar, can't remember for sure, on NVA sks's. I think I've seen them on here.
Star 1 on NVA Mosin-Nagants I believe.
Correct, I found one on Gungroper. Star 1 on every part.
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

I saw at least 5 or 6 rifles with A in star marking at the receiver. Most likely it's a wartime repair depot (arsenal) marking. A in circle and A in triangle are 100% identified wartime arsenal markings