Flea market find , numbers matching M38

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Flea market find , numbers matching M38

Post by Miller Tyme »

About every 4 years or so the wife and I take off the last Wednesday in August and go to a big Flea Market in S.E. Indiana to dispose of stuff we no longer need, and for her to buy stuff other people don't need.

Well this year was different, a gentleman set up next to me and had a 1942 Izhevsk M38 for sale. He originally had it marked for $525.00, but quickly marked it down to $375.00. I asked to look it over since the stock looked like it might have been a Finn Captured, but quickly noticed the lack of any Finnish markings, but it was all original stamped matching so after a couple of hours of no lookers I made him an offer well below his $375.00, and to my delight he accepted.

So here it is, in all its glory.
100_5005.JPG
100_5006.JPG
100_5007.JPG
100_5008.JPG
100_5009.JPG
100_5010.JPG
100_5011.JPG
100_5012.JPG
100_5013.JPG
100_5014.JPG
100_5015.JPG
100_5016.JPG
100_5017.JPG
100_5018.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
redspoon

Re: Flea market find , numbers matching M38

Post by redspoon »

Nice score, it's got the right look. Glad you didn't let it walk. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

That is a very nice looking M38!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

I wonder what is up with the finish? Doesn't look "refinished" too much, but sure is different then what you'd expect. It does look Finn'd!

Good looking rifle though!!

Dolk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rookie mistake marking the price down before anyone made offers, worked out well for you, nice looking M38 Finn or otherwise. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Well done, and well bought too! As JYD said, he made the mistake of marking it down. Good job letting it work in your favor, and for being at the right place at the right time!
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

:thumbsup: Great carbine.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

A nice catch.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Think I would have snatched it up too, especially for what you paid.
gurn

Post by gurn »

:thumbsup:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Nice one! Been looking for one to replace the one I just let go of because the front sight was a little loose. Nice M38 stock too. Great price for these parts...we're in a mosin drought around here.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

I've been looking for a M38 too. OK, not really looking that hard for one. But, a good price will always draw me in. My bad.

BTW.....did you buy a lottery ticket after that purchase? LOL.....I would have.

Aloha, Mark
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've got two, been thinking of letting one go. Maybe I'll post it on the Fo Sale.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
entropy

Post by entropy »

:thumbsup: Nice!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A couple years ago at the flea market I spotted a tray of nice 1860's-1900 pocket watches. I pick one and start negotiating, before I can start he tells me he wants four but will take three fifty, I start to say something and he instantly pops out with I will take two fifty. Now I could see it was a high grade RR movement in there easily worth three and ticking So I say OK. He then packs the entire tray of watches in a bag and hands them over, I keep a straight face and hand him the two fifty. I figure 3-4 grand if I was to sell them, every one worked, easiest "haggling" session I ever had, I don't think I said more than OK, and then thank you, have a nice weekend.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:A couple years ago at the flea market I spotted a tray of nice 1860's-1900 pocket watches. I pick one and start negotiating, before I can start he tells me he wants four but will take three fifty, I start to say something and he instantly pops out with I will take two fifty. Now I could see it was a high grade RR movement in there easily worth three and ticking So I say OK. He then packs the entire tray of watches in a bag and hands them over, I keep a straight face and hand him the two fifty. I figure 3-4 grand if I was to sell them, every one worked, easiest "haggling" session I ever had, I don't think I said more than OK, and then thank you, have a nice weekend.
What a deal! That is fantastic!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Great deals for both of you :Drool1:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain