1932 M91/30, serial number 88888?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SniperInShadows

1932 M91/30, serial number 88888?

Post by SniperInShadows »

Hi everyone,
I bought my second mosin nagant on gunbroker and am still very new. My local gun range/FFL i usually use offered to buy it from me for a decent price. The owner said it was because of the serial number. Which is no kidding 88888. The receiver and bolt are both 88888 and the rest are forced matched. Is this something rare that I should keep or go with the deal. He said he would keep it on display in one of the cases and not sell it.

Besides the odd serial number the blueing is very nice with patina. The stock seems original and not refinished. The bolt has no real rust on it or the firing pin. Over all pretty nice but i'm no expert. The pictures on the auction don't really portray the gun very well....Is this something i should keep. I'm interested because of the owner seems exited about this particular rifle.

Here is the gunbroker auction with the pictures. The rifle is still on background delay for me a the shop.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/663739471
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1932 M91/30, serial number 88888?

Post by millman »

In my opinion it is just a typical refurb with a slightly odd serial number. If he is willing to make it worth your while, sell it to him. It looks to be a nice rifle, but nothing too special unless one is a fan of the number 8.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SniperInShadows

Post by SniperInShadows »

Thanks , I guess he must like the number 8.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Unless you were born at 8AM on 8-8-88, I agree it's just a typical refurb. Maybe $20 premium for 32 hex receiver plus $20 premium for MO double date. I think you did ok for $270. If your friend wants to give crazy money 300/350, then I would sell.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I bought a M-91 because the serial was my birth date, month-day-year. I couldn't walk off and leave it..... There is no logic to collecting Mosin-Nagant rifles, so if the serial intrigues you, that is a good enough reason.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Didn't someone have serial 666? It's just a number, I would not pay extra to own it unless the number was very low, and then only for the cool factor as serial numbers on these rifles mean nothing.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Didn't someone have serial 666? It's just a number, I would not pay extra to own it unless the number was very low, and then only for the cool factor as serial numbers on these rifles mean nothing.
This one I think? 66608 actually... Don't want to sell that though.
44t002.jpg

I don't know... I would keep 88888 rifle unless you could sell it for good money. Hex 91/30's are selling for what, $270 I guess? Yikes! I would keep it unless your FFL is willing to part with ½ a Grover Clevland. That may seem like a lot, but in 5-10 years Hex 91/30's WILL fetch near $500.

I say keep it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Interesting rifle. Is a double date too. Some think that the double date was just a refurbishment facility but this one has an additional refurbishment stamp. And something weird going on in the crest area. Kind of a cool gun but I wouldn't have paid that much for it.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Just another refurb, see what he would trade for. Does he have something in his shop you would want?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Paid $270 and if he offer $50 over that I am out the door with a smile on my face! 88888 forever! Bill :D Its a bloody refurb and I made money :D
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Heres another devil's rifle... :lol:
1932.6662.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

You guys are all quick to say it's just another refurb; That's true... I agree.

But, consider things from his point of view. It's just his second Mosin & he's still new to it all. Personally, I say he got in the game very late... Later than we all did. I remember walking into shops & browsing through whole racks of rifles & cherry picking the best of the bunch. Best part was they were dirt cheap. Then I would do it a few days later, and so on.
Not nearly as many 91/30 refurbs out there today, and far fewer M91's, M39's, M38's, 91/59's, Finn variants & such. The only places I see those now are Gunbroker, & they go for a lot more than $270.

At the moment he has a decent refurb with an interesting serial number & it's the prize in his budding Mosin collection. Give him some time to enjoy it.

I still say hang onto it, shoot & use it at least until something better comes along.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I might be the only one to say this, but that is indeed a pretty rare, extremely desirable rifle. First off, extremely desirable because it's a early 30's hex receiver Mosin in great matching condition. But think about the rarity of it for a minute. I think it is almost a certainty to be one of a kind. No other known examples from that year with 88888 for a serial number. If the shop buys it, can you replace it?
Pahtu

Post by Pahtu »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Didn't someone have serial 666? It's just a number, I would not pay extra to own it unless the number was very low, and then only for the cool factor as serial numbers on these rifles mean nothing.
I came across a SCW 91-30 with a serial 666, the shop owner was very eccentric....read crazy.....she would not budge on the price of 400 several years ago.....but quickly sold me a SA 1930 Tula Dragoon for 200.00.....I often wonder about that 666 91-30....I asked a friend that lives in the city where the eccentric lady had her shop....said she passed away and does not know what happened to her inventory of firearms.....she was sitting on a ton of misc milsurp.....

Pahtu.
I do not always fire a rifle, but when I do....it is a Mosin I choose..... 8-)
entropy

Post by entropy »

Maybe he's a white supremacist.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien