loose front sight socket on 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Riva9999

loose front sight socket on 91/30

Post by Riva9999 »

Howdy, finally got around to ordering a new front sight for a rifle that lacks one and the fit is VERY loose, it will slip right off. Rather than trying to squeeze the channel tighter is there a recommended shim material I can use to snug the fit? I have one of those screw in the side drift tools if that makes a difference. Thank you!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: loose front sight socket on 91/30

Post by millman »

Cut a shim from an aluminum can.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

I have one with the same problem. Too big a gap for shims. Not sure what I will do with it. I'll monitor this topic.
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

I'll give it a try, thanks!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There are variations in the dimensions of that front sight slot. Your going to have to keep buying sights until you find a good fit. Then get a micrometer and measure the base on the extra sights so you can offer them on ebay or keep them for the next rifle that needs one.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

if it's close. But not tight enough. Try a hammer w/ punch to raise some metal or add more crunch to the dove tail?

Or

Try the shim?

Or

You got a friend with a mig welder?

Aloha, Mark
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Most of the time when you run into a loose front sight base, it's because at some point someone "whacked" the front sight on something and spread the dovetail a tiny bit.
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Thanks All, when I look at the base from the side the edges appear to curl outward slightly instead of being square, for lack of a better way to describe it. SO yeah maybe it took a hit and bent out of whack. Will try the tin can shims this weekend and will report back. FYI it is so loose that if I put the sight on and tip to the side it falls out with little effort.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Riva9999 wrote:Thanks All, when I look at the base from the side the edges appear to curl outward slightly instead of being square, for lack of a better way to describe it. SO yeah maybe it took a hit and bent out of whack. Will try the tin can shims this weekend and will report back. FYI it is so loose that if I put the sight on and tip to the side it falls out with little effort.
Yeah now that is loose.....shims, compress it back into shape if possible, or as said already stake it so it doesn't move.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

Try lightly peening the sight and/or base.
Jon
Pahtu

Post by Pahtu »

I have been told that using vise grips and steel plate on both sides of the sight base and very slightly compressing the sides of the front sight will work....on one of my Finns that had a real loose sight I simply cut off a small shim off some brass sheet I bought at a hobby shop, tapped the front sight on with a brass punch....and that worked!

Pahtu.
I do not always fire a rifle, but when I do....it is a Mosin I choose..... 8-)
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Hi folks, I was able to shim it using some dark-colored aluminum cut from a can. It worked best when I belt it so it wrapped around both the base and up the side of the sight base. Made the strip longer than the width of the sight base, so when it was in place I cut off the extra with a razor knife. Presto!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

mogunner wrote:Most of the time when you run into a loose front sight base, it's because at some point someone "whacked" the front sight on something and spread the dovetail a tiny bit.
Yes and if you have two people and an anvil or and anvil backed vice, a hammer, and a piece of key stock you can maneuver that stuff and close the gap back up. I have done it many times utilizing a wife or kid or buddy holding the rifle barrel with the stock removed to use the anvil as a backer and the key stock as the whacker. Don't go crazy with force and try it to see if you have it fixed as you don't need much to close one or break and end off. Obviously you are hitting the piece of key stock with the hammer against the front of the sight bas and holding back with the anvil. I don't recommend doing this alone unless you have an extra arm and hand or you will hurt yourself. Don't ask me how I know but at the time it seemed very simple and safe? Dang that hurt for weeks! :oops: Bill
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

zeebill wrote:
mogunner wrote:Most of the time when you run into a loose front sight base, it's because at some point someone "whacked" the front sight on something and spread the dovetail a tiny bit.
Yes and if you have two people and an anvil or and anvil backed vice, a hammer, and a piece of key stock you can maneuver that stuff and close the gap back up. I have done it many times utilizing a wife or kid or buddy holding the rifle barrel with the stock removed to use the anvil as a backer and the key stock as the whacker. Don't go crazy with force and try it to see if you have it fixed as you don't need much to close one or break and end off. Obviously you are hitting the piece of key stock with the hammer against the front of the sight bas and holding back with the anvil. I don't recommend doing this alone unless you have an extra arm and hand or you will hurt yourself. Don't ask me how I know but at the time it seemed very simple and safe? Dang that hurt for weeks! :oops: Bill
I've found that laying a straightedge on the top, across the dovetail from front to back give you a good idea whether it's been "whacked" out of alignment and how much adjustment it might need. I just used a big c-clamp on mine to bring it back to straight... and I do mean a BIG one.
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Some people remove the sight and "ping" the area under it with a punch to raise the metal up for a tight fit. Myself I used a small aluminum can shim and that solved my problem.
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Thanks all, I got a second one with the same issue but not as bad. Time to lose another $0.05 deposit beer can when I cut it up :)
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

tailgunner67 wrote:Some people remove the sight and "ping" the area under it with a punch to raise the metal up for a tight fit.
That is called "peening". "Ping" is what you hear when you pull the trigger on your M1 rifle for the 8th time and the clip ejects.
Jon
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

I stand corrected. Yes, you "Peen" metal. :wink:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

You can shim with any metal , if you need thicker use galvanized sheet metal or what ever you can cut. One caution against peening the bottom of the sight, once done it may not come back out, or ever move again. Use caution not to peen penis or punch prick.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"