My First Mosin! 1928 izhevsk Mosin Nagant #'s Matching

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jfrink23

My First Mosin! 1928 izhevsk Mosin Nagant #'s Matching

Post by jfrink23 »

Hello, All!
New member here, it is good to meet everyone! I am hoping to expand my knowledge on Mosins and get some feedback on my first purchase, I think it is a good example let me know what you think, please! From What I know it is 1928 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant all numbers matching obviously has some wear it is an 89-year-old rifle but I think it is in good shape considering, I don't think it is anything special but who knows, either way, it is a nice example of a pre-war production rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Re: My First Mosin! 1928 izhevsk Mosin Nagant #'s Matching

Post by ffuries »

One thing to remember is that these war horses went through refurbishment, leading to most of the SN parts to be scrubbed and renumbered. So finding a true original numbers matching one is hard. With only seeing the barrel SN on yours it's impossible to say which yours falls under.

That said great rifle, I love the older Mosin Nagants, welcome to the madness, be warned now, one MN leads to two, then three, then before you know it you have a room full. There is some information pages on this sight, it will help you in your knowledge and your quest for more rifles. Here's the link.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/

Then there is an explanation of the "Numbers Matching" term used by most vendors and sellers. Here's that link.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/ter ... index.html

Again welcome to the site, there are some very knowledgeable people on here that will be along soon to help you with your first MN.
Last edited by ffuries on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

Ok, awesome! Yeah I've always wanted to get one since before I got my pistol permit, which I've had for a year now and I finally got around to picking one up! woo! and oh alright, well when I get home ill take a pic of the floor plate, bolt and stock numbers and post on here hopefully that will help me to figure out how matching it really is, and thanks so much for the info!!! I've had about a year research before picking this up so I knew to get a pre-war hex barrel which is better, I know the Finnish ones are supposed to be a better quality but I wanted to start off with a Russian version.
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Very nice rifle. I tend to like the ones with this type of writing. Welcome to the board.
:bravo: :bravo:
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Welcome and nice '28! :thumbsup:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

Thanks for the welcome! And yeah thank you I think it's a nice first mosin :) can't wait to shoot it have to order some ammo though ugh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Rowdy1

Post by Rowdy1 »

Welcome! Good news, nice looking gun but start thinking were you are going to put the next ones! LOL they tend to multiply.
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

Haha Yeah! Eventually I will have a safe for just Mosins!!! Its a real special firearm and you can just feel the history when holding this beast!