Can't use surplus on range. What to use?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Sonny

Re: Can't use surplus on range. What to use?

Post by Sonny »

Grinder wrote:Tried shooting at buddies farm, got cops called, thought i was shooting off a cannon. Cant do that anymore.
lol ... you need to move about 300km west.

I hear Rocky Mountain House has a nice range.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Grinder wrote:Tried shooting at buddies farm, got cops called, thought i was shooting off a cannon. Cant do that anymore.
Did they specifically tell you that you couldn't shoot there? Is it in violation of some ordinance? If not then go ahead and shoot, they can't prevent it and the hell with the snowflake who doesn't like the noise.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Did they specifically tell you that you couldn't shoot there? Is it in violation of some ordinance? If not then go ahead and shoot, they can't prevent it and the hell with the snowflake who doesn't like the noise.
Here in Calif, as long as you are not in the "city limits" and at least 100 ft from a building, you can shoot. Sometimes the police (or sheriff) comes by but if you remind him nicely that you are not breaking the law, he usually leaves us alone. But, I prefer a range anyway. Except ours has been closed for almost 2 years now.
Grinder

Re: RE: Re: Can't use surplus on range. What to use?

Post by Grinder »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
The land owner who usta let us shoot has now said no more too noisy. It was one of his neighbors that called the cops
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Here in Arizona, the rule is no shooting within a quarter of a mile of any residence or structure (without the owner's permission) or public road outside municipal boundaries. Use of exploding targets or tracer ammunition is prohibited on federal or state lands. Even on private property, use of such items isn't always advisable due to high fire risks in certain areas. Yes, the area I'm in is desert, but we have natural fauna here that is highly flammable. If you want to see restrictive regulations, try and buy fireworks anywhere in the state. State law forbids the sale of any fireworks to private persons more than thirty days before or after the 4th of July. During the legal window, only approved fireworks may be sold and fire officials may restrict or prohibit use as conditions dictate. Sparklers only recently made the approved list.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

awalker1829 wrote:Here in Arizona, the rule is no shooting within a quarter of a mile of any residence or structure (without the owner's permission) or public road outside municipal boundaries. Use of exploding targets or tracer ammunition is prohibited on federal or state lands. Even on private property, use of such items isn't always advisable due to high fire risks in certain areas. Yes, the area I'm in is desert, but we have natural fauna here that is highly flammable. If you want to see restrictive regulations, try and buy fireworks anywhere in the state. State law forbids the sale of any fireworks to private persons more than thirty days before or after the 4th of July. During the legal window, only approved fireworks may be sold and fire officials may restrict or prohibit use as conditions dictate. Sparklers only recently made the approved list.
Are the squirrels and birds particularly flammable? Fauna usually is too wet to burn. Flora on the other hand tends to dry to tinder like quality. Sorry. :oops: :) 8-)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Should have said flora. Pretty much everything out here is tinder dry. Only exception would be the coniferous forests when they have sufficient moisture. Right now we've got more wildfires burning than anywhere else in the US.

I did also check the state regulations regarding fireworks- sales and usage are restricted to a short window around New Years and Independence Day.
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Dumb question. Can I r&r the surplus projectile with a fmj modern projectile?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

When I was growing old in the 60's-70's, it wasn't a normal day unless you heard several gunshots. Now I go down to the lake bed away from everyone and people going by on the highway call the Sheriff and report "Man with a rifle" . I never heard back from the sheriff. In fact one deputy sgt. looked at 6 or 7 in the bed of my truck one day and just said, Nice collection.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Grinder wrote:Dumb question. Can I r&r the surplus projectile with a fmj modern projectile?
I see them do that all the time. However, watch your weights of the bullets. The powder in the case now is designed to push a certain projectile (in weight). Thing is, get some boxer primed cases and powder (you know) and do the entire thing. More flexibility and better all around. But they do r&r bullets.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Why not lead core military surplus rounds?
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

I have been looking for reloadable brass for some time and finally found some that was sent to me by a new friend of mine and of the community. I have some surplus and I can shoot it. But now I can load my own to more accurate specs. I love to shoot my Mosins, and my son in law was amazed at the accuracy with the surplus ammo. Can't wait till I get my loads dialed in and see what he thinks of it then.
Although I shoot at a state owned range and there is no signs like that. You can't shoot tracers legally but there is no restriction on steel core.
Curious enough to take it apart;
Skilled enough to put it back together;
Clever enough to hide the extra parts!