Can't use surplus on range. What to use?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Grinder

Can't use surplus on range. What to use?

Post by Grinder »

This is the new sign on the range. No more surplus alowed so now looking for brass rounds so I can reload. What is a good target round to buy and reload. Reloader is still new in box so trying to collect brass to start. Recomended powder projectile for target shooting 100m? Any help appriciated. The 1400 surplus I have will have to wait for the zombies[emoji6]
ksbanker

Re: Can't use surplus on range. What to use?

Post by ksbanker »

If I buy brass cased, I usually buy PPU. It works great.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

PPU here also. The brass reloads good and the ammo is more affordable than most. Also check Grafs.com for new brass in these calibers. They stock 54r normally but it was out the other day.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Wonder what range specific issue led them to prohibit steel core? Out here, tracer is prohibited on state land due to fire risk. Many club and public ranges are on state land, so state prohibitions apply. Steel core ammo can also be prohibited for the same reason.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

42izzy9130 wrote:Fuck that, sue them for discrimination!
:chuckles:

I have the same problem here in California. They don't want you to use steel core bullets for two reason (or so this is the line they give)

1) It ricochets and can cause fires (it has set a fire on the hill behind the target holders once at our range).

2) It reeks havoc on the angle framed target holders when it hits one. I will go right through sometimes.

I've seen people remove the bullet and replace it. Also, I've seen them replace the bullet and powder also. I'm to lazy to do all that work and buy PPU or use my old surplus that is not steel cored. There is some surplus ammo that is not steel cored. Next to impossible to find these days.

You can go here and see what is lead core or steel. Most of that lead core surplus was sold years ago. I know, much of mine is Yugoslavian (I think).
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

Dolk
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

7.62x25 was steel core? As for the Mosins, the Barnhaul white box is lead and shoots great, non corossive. Also, Silver bear, brown bear, all VG lead core ammo. About .50 per round. I'd like to find out what 60's Greek hxp Is. It goes thru 1/2 inch steel looks like a drilled hole. The Russian steel core makes a sloppy hole. Why the difference?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

One of the reasons I shoot at home is I permit me to shoot any damn thing I want. I do wish that some of the assholes who come to shoot with me could keep their rounds off my target frames, but such are the fortunes of war......
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It can spark fires, it's not bullshit because I did it. One day a pile of old target papers on the ground next to my target stand suddenly started to smoke and then ignited. Not an issue for me as the area is all rock and dirt with no brush to burn, but a big issue if the range is near woods or scrub that can turn into a brush fire. The steel core struck something that caused a spark enough to ignite the paper.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I live in the Dallas Texas area and almost every range has this rule. Our indoor ranges check handgun ammo with a magnet, and some won't allow steel case handgun ammo because (I suspect) they scoop up the brass and resell it. I had to chase a range officer with a broom back a few stalls while I was still shooting! I do have 1 outdoor range that allows FMJ rifle ammo and I go there but they have early hours. Also helps me conserve my surplus. Grinder what area do you live? Steve, I wish I had a place like you do. :)
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Grinder wrote:
This is the new sign on the range. No more surplus alowed so now looking for brass rounds so I can reload. What is a good target round to buy and reload. Reloader is still new in box so trying to collect brass to start. Recomended powder projectile for target shooting 100m? Any help appriciated. The 1400 surplus I have will have to wait for the zombies[emoji6]
What range is this?

We can still shoot surplus at the Hinton range but I have heard some guys bitch and complain about SKS shooters not cleaning up after themselves.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

steelbuttplate wrote:I'd like to find out what 60's Greek hxp Is. It goes thru 1/2 inch steel looks like a drilled hole.
I've shot a bunch of Greek HXP M2 Ball at my AR550 steel plate, and it has never left anything more than a slight surface divot the size of a small pin prick. I did have a few rounds of World War 2 Armor Piercing 30-06, but couldn't convince myself that it was worth seeing what it would do to the AR550 steel plate. I haven't had anything so much as dent my AR550 steel plate, and it's been pounded with 308, 30-06, 303, 7.62x54r, 8mm, 7.7 Jap, so forth and so on.

Steel core bullets are known to spark, so I can understand that aspect of banning them. That doesn't mean I agree with it, but I can see the logic behind it. Bubba doesn't care if the ground is drier than a popcorn fart, he's gonna shoot what he brought because he lives in 'Merica. So we all suffer because Bubba's too stupid to know the difference between the right and wrong time to shoot steel core.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
miner49r

Re: RE: Can't use surplus on range. What to use?

Post by miner49r »

Grinder wrote:
I've been collecting S&B and PPU brass to reload. My powder of choice is Hogdon 4831sc because its medium burning and good for milsurps. Easy to find at almost any store.
You can buy lead gas checked bullets from Jet Bullets. He's got good prices and local to Alberta.
I've been using the load data on Hogdon's website with no issues.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Its the Camrose range on Alberta. I tried to get into the fish and wildlife range in Strathcona (only 20min drive Camrose is hr) but you have to be first in line at Jan 1 100am to get in. Very limited accemptace.
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

So the white boxed grey plastic dividers rounds are lead core?
Grinder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Can't use surplus on range. What to use?

Post by Grinder »

miner49r wrote:
Grinder wrote:
I've been collecting S&B and PPU brass to reload. My powder of choice is Hogdon 4831sc because its medium burning and good for milsurps. Easy to find at almost any store.
You can buy lead gas checked bullets from Jet Bullets. He's got good prices and local to Alberta.
I've been using the load data on Hogdon's website with no issues.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks ill look into this
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Grinder wrote:So the white boxed grey plastic dividers rounds are lead core?
The ones I bought are in packs like surplus ammo, white boxed, Made in Russia. 148 fmj lead core, copper wash steel case, non corrosive. No divider. No mfg. name. I'm pretty sure its Barnhaul. A few thousand more would be nice, I don't know if there is any except on GB, but check on Wikiarms. I just remembered your in Canada, so I dunno.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Best part about PPU ammo is, it's lead, it's better bullet, it's Boxer primed (re-loadable, so even if you don't reload, you can sell the empty cases), and being boxer, it's not corrosive ammo (which is not a huge deal really, but some are paranoid about that). It's accurate and better control on the processing then some.

It's not cheap as surplus but, it's more accurate and cleaner.

Dolk
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

dolk wrote:Best part about PPU ammo is, it's lead, it's better bullet, it's Boxer primed (re-loadable, so even if you don't reload, you can sell the empty cases), and being boxer, it's not corrosive ammo (which is not a huge deal really, but some are paranoid about that). It's accurate and better control on the processing then some.

It's not cheap as surplus but, it's more accurate and cleaner.

Dolk
The last time I took one of my M39's out I shot only PPU and I was sure amazed at how clean the bore was when I had finished. I got two slightly soiled patches and that was it after shooting 40 rounds. I'm planning to let the surplus ammo sit unless I need it for some unknown reason. I'll reload from here on out.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

Shoot Great Farm Rifle Club, Jackson Me. No Restrictions on ammo. God Bless America. Pro libertate Patria
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Tried shooting at buddies farm, got cops called, thought i was shooting off a cannon. Cant do that anymore.