Fake reproduction parts

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Fake reproduction parts

Post by Darryl »

Normally we don't allow posting of live auctions on the forums. That is because we don't want openly hostile biding between members or the like but,. ........

I just wanted to let you guys know that new parts are being made for the Mosin Nagant rifles. I'm not sure how far this has gone, but be aware of what you are buying out there.

Here you will notice hand guards. They are "New" production made in India (my understanding). The wood is wrong also. So just be aware.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosin-nagant-m- ... XQlgtS1Ha5

Dolk
djbuck1

Re: Fake reproduction parts

Post by djbuck1 »

Thank you.
Joekopec1

Post by Joekopec1 »

So bad for the industry
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

So far as I know there are no birch trees in India.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Fake reproduction parts ??????????? What will they think of next? Do they make both kinds? I could actually use one if it worked. :)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

At least the seller in his description states reproduction. Unfortunately under specifics it is listed as Original and Made in Russia.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fake or reproduction, were India is concerned they mean the same thing. They are the word supplier of crapophones, these are cheap reproductions of antique phonographs that get passed off as period originals in the phonograph collecting world. India also has a brisk trade in reproduction muzzleloaders thanks to the British motion picture industry who started contracting Indian gunmaking firms some 40 years ago for fictional movie props. Some of these gunmakers will produce examples with very limited markings so they can easily be removed by the living history guys and fraudsters looking to age the piece and pass it off as an original to unsuspecting buyers. Quality can vary widely from usable to absolute crap. India has become the go to place for repop gear of all sorts, particularly leather gear, and imitation bayonets. I have a German K98k bayonet frog here that I got for ten bucks at a show. The quality of the leather and stitching is good, it has German markings on the back, it's made in India and a total fake, but you will not find "made in India on it anyplace. That part was on the packaging, now gone, the seller is someone I know and he fessed up to it's origin. Problem will come in 30 years when this has enough age on it to pass for the real thing. Or I could artificially age it and screw someone out of fifty bucks, and you can bet someone is doing that right now someplace. I think India is also doing helmets, buyer beware, glad I got all my shit decades ago before the flood of reproductions got going.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Where do you think IMA has their stuff made?
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

IMA and others who offer repop anything. Blame it on the motion picture industry in general, the same people who were set up in business to provide gear for TV and movie armys are now providing it to you. You didn't think they would pay to have all that crap made in this country were they would have to pay US workers did you? For the bayonets you can blame the wannabees who instead of saving up to buy the real thing with real history attached instead buy a cheap reproduction. Guess all they want is the look, history be dammed.
Theodore Roosevelt
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Thanks for the post and comments. It is good to be continually educated on what is going on in the world of Mosins.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Kind of a mixed blessing the Motion Picture Industry. Yea it sure as heck brings out the repro stuff, but also what did 'Enemy of the Gates' do to the price of a 91/30 sniper... :lol: ..great if you were sellin.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.

Post by WWW »

NLMosin wrote:Kind of a mixed blessing the Motion Picture Industry. Yea it sure as heck brings out the repro stuff, but also what did 'Enemy of the Gates' do to the price of a 91/30 sniper... :lol: ..great if you were sellin.
Well, there's that. At the prices JYD bought, he will be able to retire a millionaire if he sells his collection!
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: Fake reproduction parts

Post by capt14k »

WWW wrote:
NLMosin wrote:Kind of a mixed blessing the Motion Picture Industry. Yea it sure as heck brings out the repro stuff, but also what did 'Enemy of the Gates' do to the price of a 91/30 sniper... [emoji38] ..great if you were sellin.
Well, there's that. At the prices JYD bought, he will be able to retire a millionaire if he sells his collection!
I still have my doubts if he will ever sell.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Somebody gives me a million dollars that might galvanize my attention long enough to get up off the couch and dig it all out.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: Fake reproduction parts

Post by capt14k »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Somebody gives me a million dollars that might galvanize my attention long enough to get up off the couch and dig it all out.
I'll be happy if you can just find the Lithgows

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lithgow? That's easy, I don't even have to get up for that
http://www.lithgowarms.com/

69 Methven Street, Lithgow NSW.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday – 9:30am to 2:00pm, weekend and public holidays – 10:00am to 4.00pm and school holidays – 7 days a week, 10am to 4pm (9.30 to 4pm Tue & Thu).

Grab me one of them Aussie outback hats, size large,while you are there, and keep an eye out, they have some real cool snakes down there.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Once you got it ALL out I doubt a million. :shifty: Think about all you for you have'nt seen in 10 r's....... A handguard? If I needed one to replace the splintered thing I had, just for ME. That one don't look half bad. If you buy original it's not gonna match anyway. I put one of those bayonets on my '52 Radom that works like it was made by Radom. It took filing to get it between the ears. I don't sell my Radoms. I don't dispute what Jim said about phonographs or leather, ect. but This is all stuff that can be reversed on rifles. DO NOT repace every pitted worn piece of your rifle with new ones from India, but sometimes you need one bad. :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

AIM Surplus had these for sale in 2013-2014. Started out at $9.95 and after a year they dropped the price to $4.95. They listed them as "New Production".
8X56R

Post by 8X56R »

Educational thread for us novices... Thanks...