Gunshow ammo find.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NLMosin

Gunshow ammo find.

Post by NLMosin »

Havent seen crates in....well forever. I was in Pittsburgh and saw this at a gun show. He had a crate of 72-188 also but I was hoping to get galvanized tins for my collection.
762 (1).jpg
762 (2).jpg
762 (3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Shelbygt500

Re: Gunshow ammo find.

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Don't see those very often. Nice find.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I see crates all the time, just not outside my own ammo stash, good find.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt

Post by WWW »

Nice find, indeed.

So, when's the opening party? ;)
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
B24

Post by B24 »

Tell us you got a bargain.....
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

B24 wrote:Tell us you got a bargain.....

I'm afraid the bargains are few and far between. I paid $280 for the crate and was glad to get it. At just shy of 32 cents a round its a good price by todays standard. Plus I get the tins and crate...if I can only figure out how to open it...no can opener with these cans.
People live together.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Pittsburgh? That's my neighborhood. Stop by and say hi sometime!
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

NLMosin wrote:
B24 wrote:Tell us you got a bargain.....

I'm afraid the bargains are few and far between. I paid $280 for the crate and was glad to get it. At just shy of 32 cents a round its a good price by todays standard. Plus I get the tins and crate...if I can only figure out how to open it...no can opener with these cans.
You don't need the opener for these. Pull that tab. It's kind of like solder around the edges. PITA but doable.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

They all open with a disc grinder then I throw the dang sharp edged things away! You guys kill me with the box and holder thing! Oh and yes I do keep the wood now to sell at a show where I used to put them in the pot belly to keep the shop warm. It killed me to see Joe buy that SVT crate and then spend time tidying it up and it came home in my van and taking up room in my shop? The price of friendship I guess? I want the ammo to shoot not the dang boxes but I am not above making a few bucks back on the crate. :oops: Bill :o

Post by WWW »

NLMosin wrote:...if I can only figure out how to open it...no can opener with these cans.
LikeBuckeyeSgt said, pull the tab (with a pair of pliers, etc)

it will open like these tins I got a few years back...

Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

...to each his own. I sure wouldnt razz a guy for collecting beer cans. Saw a guy on tv with a collection worth 1.5 million dollars. Guess he should have just drank the beer and tossed the cans huh? Not saying the ammo cans will ever be worth anything but I think they are cool and I collect them. Tell ya what sir, let me know when you get any pre and wartime cans, cut the top off nicely with the grinder and I'll buy them off ya for a couple of bucks a piece. A can top grinded off every two minutes is 30 tops at two bucks each is 60 bucks an hour! There ya go! Now we're talkin! :chain:

...no wait, yeah do that! Let me know. :idea: 8-)
People live together.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

WWW wrote:
...you throwing that top away anytime soon? :brows:
People live together.

Post by WWW »

NLMosin wrote:
WWW wrote:
...you throwing that top away anytime soon? :brows:
Nuts.

I still have the tin, but not the lid of the three that I already opened. They get bent and messed up a bit from pulling the tab, so one would be better off cutting the top off to preserve it for a collection.

I DO still have two of the green tins that I haven't opened yet though...

...plus a different type of tin that opens at the end.

NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Next time I'm in Albany maybe we can connect. I hate missing an opportunity to me a fellow mosin collector. Those cans are great.
People live together.
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

Get large vise grips fasten to tab and turn away. Why they are called spam cans. God Bless America. Pro Libertate Patria.

Post by WWW »

NLMosin wrote:Next time I'm in Albany maybe we can connect. I hate missing an opportunity to me a fellow mosin collector. Those cans are great.
Sounds like a plan to me! :thumbsup:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I too collect crates and spam cans, i just keep mine full. I do open and use the common spam cans.

Here is a thread we had when WWW found the smaller cans and we on this forum purchased them all.

7.57 translated the crates i have so i know what i have.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... te#p321865
Kollaa kestää
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Lee-online wrote:I too collect crates and spam cans, i just keep mine full. I do open and use the common spam cans.

Here is a thread we had when WWW found the smaller cans and we on this forum purchased them all.
Would have loved to have gotten a few....
People live together.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Walked out and left a can at auction last week, nobody wanted it? Usually I just give them away and people are happy to get them but had no takers late on a Sunday. Everybody was auctioned out I guess. I ain't knocking anybody for collecting anything I just don't like the sharp edges and jagged edges around the shop. Besides I am not above selling anything to defray costs of collecting rifles. Just not into cans? I can't shoot them just shoot at them. :lol: Bill
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

Looks like ammo that I got from SG Ammo awhile back. Factory 188, Made in 1947, so far the ammo has been excellent with no hang fires or other problems.

http://s813.photobucket.com/user/ma9678 ... t=3&page=1

Aloha, Mark