1888 Spandau 71/84 Mauser

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
target

1888 Spandau 71/84 Mauser

Post by target »

Just picked it up and boy is it CLEAN. I tracked down some ammo so I am gonna order some this week. Besides the scuffs on the stock it's almost perfect. All numbers matching and the bore looks like it's never been fired.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1888 Spandau 71/84 Mauser

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Unit markings on the buttplate? I have been carefully cleaning one all day, 1886 dated, it's unit marked and fully matching, spotless bore but suffers from poor storage. I am removing grime, paint splatters, and light rust one inch at a time, it's revealing a nice rifle bit by bit. Take that thing apart, be careful NOT to fully unscrew the bolt takedown screw, it's pinned to stay in place and just go up enough to clear the bolt. You will be amazed at how they have every little part numbered.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

No unit markings or anything. As far as I can tell it's unissued. It looks like it was in a rack or something as the three scuffs on the rifle appear to have happened over a long period of time. I think the condition is partially due to the fact that it's from the last year of production.

I have taken it apart and I felt the screw stop so I didn't back it out anymore. Then I seen the pin and I understood what was going on.

I'll be getting some ammunition here in the next week or so.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

That is a clean looking rifle

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I remember there was a story concerning the unissued 1871's and 71/84's but I don't remember what it was. They may have come out of South America. Mine is obviously an issued rifle, very clean under the crud, but the buttplate has a matching number and clear unit markings to the 8th Guards Grenadier Regiment. The unissued 71/84's were on the market 20-25 years ago, mine had already been in storage for 35 years or longer by that time so it's likely an earlier Bannerman import or maybe a bringback as the men who served in that family seemed to bring things back home. They knew the K98k was brought home by " Dad" but didn't have a clue about the 71/84 except that " Dad" had it forever. Get the mold, brass and make the rounds yourself or you will spend a fortune for rounds or never shoot it. This is a rifle designed for black powder and lead bullets, easiest things to pack once you have the components, or just mold round balls in the appropriate size and thumb press them down into the case after filling the case to overflowing with FFG BP. Dixie can make you a round ball mold in any size you want up to I think .80.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

A spotless find.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These had the good fortune to be imported at a time when ammunition was not being made and components had to be hand made so few people shot them. They ended up on walls or in display cases and this has preserved them nicely.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

Even properly reloading for this is an expensive process. Brass is about 75 dollars for 20 pieces but they should last for a LONG time. I don't know if I would go with black or smokeless. Loading black isn't an issue it's just I'd have to strip the rifle down every time I shoot it.

I wonder where this rifle has been that's kept it in such good shape.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

On the wall or in the display case, that's were most of them went because of the ammunition issue just like the Swiss Vetterlis and similar early cartridge rifles. This is a rifle designed to shoot black powder, not smokeless, it does not have the strength of the GEW98's action. Stick with black and clean it properly after each range trip and you will not have any problems. The expense of reloading is far less once you have the bullet mold and a set of dies. The dies are expensive and limited edition but once bought may be used indefinitely. That or you thumb press the bullets.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

There is a two video series on YouTube for this rifle and the round. They discuss the rifle and shoot it at range in one video then in the other he explains how to properly reload for it using one of the IMR powders designed for stuff like this. I have a good supply of black on hand though so I might do that just for authenticity. I have a good bucket of lead too so once I get the dies and mold I should be set.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Start stockpiling cigarette rolling paper so you can paper patch the bullets.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

That's a great idea. I'll need to pick some up! I found all the stuff I'm gonna need but boy is that price tag shock! But I will be set up and it will pay for itself over time.
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

A beautiful rifle. I think with the Commission 88s coming out these rifles likely saw very little use. Only time Ive heard of the 71/84s saw combat was by German sailors during the Boxer Rebellion.
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
7x57

Post by 7x57 »

Cj556 wrote:A beautiful rifle. I think with the Commission 88s coming out these rifles likely saw very little use. Only time Ive heard of the 71/84s saw combat was by German sailors during the Boxer Rebellion.
A lot of the M71s and M71/84s were also used to good effect in the German colonies, even during WWI. I once read that during the Herero and Nama uprise in then-German South-West Africa the officers were equipped with the then-newest Mauser 98 rifle, but asked to be allowed to keep on using the "old" black powder rifles - simply because the 11 mm lead bullets packed a much better punch...
1910 Arg. Mauser M1909 (long rifle)
1912 Braz. Mauser M1908 (long rifle)
1915 & 1943 Swed. Mauser M96
1934 Persian Mauser M1309
Two 1935 Braz. Mauser M1935 (short rifle)
1937 Braz. Mauser M1935 (long rifle)
1943 Finnish M39 (Sk.Y.)
1943 Izhevsk M1891/30 w. folding bay.
1943 Swiss K31
1947 Dutch "Wilhelmina" Mauser carbine
~1950 Hung. Lámpagyár Kispuska 48M (.22lr cadet rifle)
Two 1952 Hung. 48M
1955 British No. 4 Mk. 2
1968 Finnish M39
1977 6" Korth .357 Magnum
2012 H&K USP Expert .45 ACP
2016 H&K MR308 A3
2016 STEYR AUG Z
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

7x57 wrote:
Cj556 wrote:A beautiful rifle. I think with the Commission 88s coming out these rifles likely saw very little use. Only time Ive heard of the 71/84s saw combat was by German sailors during the Boxer Rebellion.
A lot of the M71s and M71/84s were also used to good effect in the German colonies, even during WWI. I once read that during the Herero and Nama uprise in then-German South-West Africa the officers were equipped with the then-newest Mauser 98 rifle, but asked to be allowed to keep on using the "old" black powder rifles - simply because the 11 mm lead bullets packed a much better punch...
I think it was in Storz book the author states the Colonial units used the 71s due to easier maintenance as well
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These rifles had the good fortune to be the service rifle between two major conflicts, and be replaced in front line service by two succeeding generations of rifles before the next big war. Unlike the US 1873 Springfield that saw extensive use during the Indian and Spanish American wars, or the British Martini Henry that saw continuous use fighting Queen Victoria's little wars all over the empire Germany remained quiet by comparison. The small African conflicts in their few colony's didn't involve large numbers of troops.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Magnificent rifle. I'd love to have one of these, especially in this condition. The ones I have seen are very expensive and I would probably never shoot it for lack of ammo and reloading expertise. I would settle for a historical wall hanger though.
:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
target

Post by target »

I've ordered everything Im going to need to get into some basic reload for this. I have a couple pounds of black powder. Some loaded ammo is on the way, bullets are on the way, and the dies should be here today. I have everything else I'm gonna need on hand already. Pretty excited.

Thanks. I am really hoping this rifle shoots well as the bore looks like it's never had a round down it besides the test fire.
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

I wanted one of these when they were making them into lamps in the late 50's. I looked for one for over 25 years and then one day at a senior gun buddies I saw one behind a door. I asked how long he had it and it was "quite awhile". You wanna sell it? I sold it to a guy in Houston for $65. How long ago? ..couple years, sell it to me for $67 and I won't tell him I said... It was covered with finger print patina and the stock had insect holes in places and the bbl was caked with old grease. As I got ready to leave he said There's ammo that goes with it. Nearly a hundred rounds all over a hundred years old.When I pushed the caked grease out of the old Spandau the bore was near perfect. Never did get modern components though I found dies right off at a show. My cases were brittle balloon head German manufact and not easily reloadable I fired about 60 rounds of the black powder ammo and not one misfired the rest went in a fire.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Wood worm? I have yet to have that problem with a firearm, dry rot yet, but no bugs. Not surprising with military rifles and all the highly toxic shit that was issued for rifle care and cleaning.
Theodore Roosevelt