Looking for an M44 Laminated Stock

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
77MN77

Looking for an M44 Laminated Stock

Post by 77MN77 »

I recently acquired a russian M44 carbine. Metal and bore is very good however the stock was sanded and refinished (helped with the price though). I have been lurking in the internet for sometime now in search of a laminated stock (original and not refinished) for my carbine but can not snag a site that has one for sale. I want the laminated stock for the M44 to pair it with my laminated 91/30. Somebody might know a source. Thanks.
qz2026

Re: Looking for an M44 Laminated Stock

Post by qz2026 »

That might be a problem. You will see stocks on eBay once in a while but they are asking $100+ for them. Never seen a laminated stock set for sale. Probably the best thing to do is to sell your M-44 and watch GunBroker for the one you want. Or put a WTB out on this site or one of the other forums. They come up from time to time.
77MN77

Post by 77MN77 »

Thanks for your suggestion. I was able to hook up with a friend from Canada and was informed that he has one available. You are right stocks for M44 are getting pricey. I was looking at a laminated one from eBay but it is quite heavily molested (4 drilled holes underside presumably for additional sling/bipod mounts). I might bid though for the included hardware and as a go around spare stock (hope it is an easy repair). Also there are offerings with prices 75+ with damage from one and these are all regular wood stock.
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Be prepared for some heavy recoil. My laminate stocked M44 kicks like hell. Not sure if it is a weight issue or what.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
77MN77

Post by 77MN77 »

That's one clean laminated stock tailgunner67! Hope to have one soon for my M44. My 91/30 laminated stock seems to be a bit darker and shows sign of use. I always use slip on recoil pads when I shoot them.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

tailgunner67 wrote:Be prepared for some heavy recoil. My laminate stocked M44 kicks like hell. Not sure if it is a weight issue or what.
They all kick like hell :chuckles: . Accept it, then ignore it.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Yes, all the carbines kick, but they are all tolerable. My M38 laminated is even lighter. This is my shooter.

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

My lightest is my 1943 91/59.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Years back when these first started to show on the US market I found one with no shellac at all on it. Typical Soviet refurb otherwise, but for some reason they forgot to shellac it. There were some with almost clear shellac, these all seemed to be earlier imports, possibly not from Ukraine.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Years back when these first started to show on the US market I found one with no shellac at all on it. Typical Soviet refurb otherwise, but for some reason they forgot to shellac it. There were some with almost clear shellac, these all seemed to be earlier imports, possibly not from Ukraine.
The stock on that m44 in the last photo is really striking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That is one of the mid 90's imports , a typical Soviet style refurb but with a non typical color stock . These could have come in with the Romanian lot, they have the same tiny import mark up by the muzzle and came in during the time the Romanian hoard did. There used to be several like this on the board.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are atypical in other ways also, they lack the common toe splice found on many Soviet laminated stock's and one is lacking the extra stock bolt behind the receiver. I have other Soviet laminated stocks with they typical red shellac look that came in later after 2000, no pictures of them just now, some are on M38's.
Theodore Roosevelt
77MN77

Post by 77MN77 »

Those are really awesome laminated stocks JYD! That last photo without wrist bolt makes it very clean looking!