Gun Show Haul #1: Greek 1903/14/30 Carbine-The Details

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
qz2026

Gun Show Haul #1: Greek 1903/14/30 Carbine-The Details

Post by qz2026 »

Greece
Model 1903/14/30 Carbine
Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1930 System
1930 Steyr
s/n 4475
Non Import marked.
Caliber: 6.5x54mm
2nd variant carbine version of the 1903/14 Infantry Rifle.

This was one of my gun show hauls from earlier in March. I consider it to be in Very Good condition. The carbine has a non-matching bolt which is fully matching to itself. All internals appear to be genuine to the 1903/14. The bore is not quite as good as I originally saw it but is fine. Some debris at the base of the lands which will hopefully shoot out. Strong rifling and pretty good shine. Should shoot fine. The stock was sanded at some point, I suspect during a re arsenal when it received it's new bolt. The stock has a faint serial number on the butt stock which does not match the rifle indicating it was either a replacement and/or a cut-down infantry rifle stock. Other than that, all wood stampings associated with these rifles has been removed. The bolt is very similar to the Gewhr 88 bolt but much easier to disassemble and reassemble. Overall, very pleased with this carbine.

After thinking how to present this, I decided to try something new and provide some token pictures here. Additionally, I have provided a link to all pictures associated with this carbine which includes information on assembly and disassembly, a tutorial of sorts, since this particular rifle is much different than most people realize and there isn't a lot of information about them, at least, in this detail. So, if you are interested in the dirty details, follow the link provided. Warning, it will take a while to get through them but, I feel the documentation is pretty thorough. Let me know if you would enjoy future posts like this for unique finds.

Some background on the M1903.

The M1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer is a very interesting rifle, combining the split-receiver bridge and bolt of the Mannlicher receiver designs, with the very innovative Schoenauer rotary magazine. Unlike the other Mannlicher rifles of this period, which relied on the patented en-bloc clip system holding packets of cartridges, the M1903 was loaded with the more flexible Mauser charger system. This simple, efficient charger, commonly referred to as a “stripper clip,” was so superior the Mannlicher system almost died out, completely after WWI.

The centerpiece of the M1903 magazine design is a rotating follower that pivots along a central axis within the magazine well. As the cartridges are forced downward out of the charger, the follower rotates, spooling tightly against a coiled spring. The cartridges force the rotating follower to pivot while the five rounds are stripped out of the sheet metal charger in a U-shaped path down and around the follower within the magazine. The cartridges are not staggered in the Schoenauer magazine, as is the case with the contemporary Mauser magazines. Unlike the other Mannlicher designs of the period, the magazine floorplate was flush with the bottom of the stock in spite of holding five 6.5x54mm cartridges. A button on the right side of the receiver can be pressed to remove all the cartridges.

Surprisingly, the arm’s unique magazine design was considered by many countries to be too complicated to be incorporated in a general-issue combat weapon. In both Greek, as well as Austro-Hungarian service, this opinion proved to be wrong on all counts. (The Austro-Hungarian army issued large numbers of Model 1903/14 Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifles to their own troops during the early days of WWI. The rifles were in production at the Austrian firm Steyr, on contract for the Greek government, when the Austro-Hungarian army commandeered them in the fall of 1914.)

A couple of versions of this carbine were made:
First Version was a 1903/14 made in 1927 (1903/14/27) based on the Infantry Rifle of the same name. It was arranged for SOCIETA ANONIMA ERNESTO BREDA of Brescia in Italy to rebuild these rifles. It is believed that Breda then arranged to buy new commercial actions from Steyr in order to produce entirely new rifles of the M1903/14 pattern. Greece purchased 100,000 rifles and 10,000 carbines.

Second version was made in 1930 (1903/14/30) stamped with "Mannlicher-Schonauer 1930 System". Greece purchased 25,000 of these directly from Steyr Werke AG (SWAG)

Link to the Details:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cj556

Re: Gun Show Haul #1: Greek 1903/14/30 Carbine-The Details

Post by Cj556 »

Not an easy one to find.
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Another good looker. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Excellent presentation, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: a cookie for you....oh yea, no worries, I will eat it for you :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Great pictorial presentation! Looking forward to the reports on how it shoots. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: