K31 rate?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Joekopec1

K31 rate?

Post by Joekopec1 »

I was wondering how much k31s have been going for, I have an opportunity to get one for $399 all numbers matching locally. I should be fine, but since I have school if I had to re sell it quick would I take a huge hit? I've wanted one for awhile and don't want to end up paying 600 for one in the future. Would you project them getting that high?
Joekopec1

Re: K31 rate?

Post by Joekopec1 »

Also anyone know what stocks are typically more desirable just in case they have both options?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They both work, both look good, the Swiss wouldn't have used either wood if it couldn't stand up to heavy use for a long time in all conditions. Switzerland is a tiny country, small military, not that many rifles made, good price if it's in good condition.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Joekopec1 wrote:I was wondering how much k31s have been going for, I have an opportunity to get one for $399 all numbers matching locally. I should be fine, but since I have school if I had to re sell it quick would I take a huge hit? I've wanted one for awhile and don't want to end up paying 600 for one in the future. Would you project them getting that high?
Besides being semi impoverished half my life so I have a valid reason, still I have to kick myself for not picking up a few of these in 2005, we won't mention what they were going for then. :roll:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Joekopec1

Post by Joekopec1 »

So gander has one for $385 today, now I know why we don't deal with big box stores. Was ready to pull the trigger, asked the associate to pull off the trigger safety so I could pull the bolt out and have a look at the bore. I guess this is off limits there? "You're going to have to purchase it before I can pull of the trigger safety" so I asked "do you have a flashlight I can borrow" and I got a "no, I don't have one today" I asked if he knew anyone else that works there if they had one, got another "no flashlights here". So basically the bore is unseeable. Pretty irritated especially since the price seems very fair especially for a gander mtn haha
thunder1

Post by thunder1 »

seems like the prices have gone up in the last couple years. anything special and they go for $800+. In October one on gunbroker went for $900- :big shock: the only thing different was it was a early one (1933),i have one identical to it just a hundred numbers later in the same year. last nite one went for $810- it was a "P" stamped one. Numbers matching seems to be the norm. they can be had for $400ish if you are not to fussy. At this point anything is possible in the future prices. nice guns, but not way better than some of my mausers
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

I wouldn't stress about the bore. Granted, I haven't examined hundreds, but I've got 3 Swiss rifles (K31, K11, M1911) and all have beautiful, shiny, perfect bores and crowns. The K11 was in less than great condition externally with rust in a number of places. Walnut stocks are typically more desirable than the birch.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Never used in war, well trained former users, Swiss are known to be anal retentive when it comes to attention to detail and upkeep. I would be shocked to find a bad bore and I would blame it on an American Bubba who failed to clean it properly.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Joekopec1 wrote:Also anyone know what stocks are typically more desirable just in case they have both options?
I think the Walnut Stocks used to bring a little more then the lighter stocks did. I think the Walnut stocks are on the "older units" also (if I remember right). That is why the walnut stocks are a little more, not that they are any different or better.

Try to find one that the butt of the stock is "less beat up". Those dings down there are from the hobnail boots the Swiss used in winter (or so the story goes). They rested them between their boots when traveling with the rifles. That and stacking them in the snow (hitting rocks and stuff in the snow).

To me, they are just like a Swiss watch!!

And YES....they do come with strips on the sometimes!!!
Dolk

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

MOM, dolk is showing off again.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Joekopec1

Post by Joekopec1 »

dolk wrote:
Joekopec1 wrote:Also anyone know what stocks are typically more desirable just in case they have both options?
I think the Walnut Stocks used to bring a little more then the lighter stocks did. I think the Walnut stocks are on the "older units" also (if I remember right). That is why the walnut stocks are a little more, not that they are any different or better.

Try to find one that the butt of the stock is "less beat up". Those dings down there are from the hobnail boots the Swiss used in winter (or so the story goes). They rested them between their boots when traveling with the rifles. That and stacking them in the snow (hitting rocks and stuff in the snow).

To me, they are just like a Swiss watch!!

And YES....they do come with strips on the sometimes!!!
Dolk

Oh man that's a nice one! The one I got looks alright deff not as nice as that one! However I maybe taking a trip to dig through some still in that nice cosmoline, hopefully I can find a nicer one!
thunder1

Post by thunder1 »

correction to my earlier post, the last few days on gunbroker would suggest they can be bought for $600ish, not $400ish
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Surplus ammo is available right now. I wonder if that is influencing the prices in a positive way.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Joekopec1

Post by Joekopec1 »

thunder1 wrote:correction to my earlier post, the last few days on gunbroker would suggest they can be bought for $600ish, not $400ish
Yeah, they seem to be pretty high on gunbroker.
B24

Post by B24 »

Joekopec1 wrote:
thunder1 wrote:correction to my earlier post, the last few days on gunbroker would suggest they can be bought for $600ish, not $400ish
LGS has one on consignment for $350, maybe I need to pick it up. The metal is extra nice, the stock
is not beat up but has the usual scuffs on it. O me another caliber to try and stock up on.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

If it's matching and the finish hasn't been messed with, that's a good price for one right now.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

J&G has K-11's for $350. The one I had was dinged a little but pristine bore and operational. 6 round box mag. The first setting on the sights is 300 yd so they shoot high. I had to trade it and a S&W shotgun for a DPMS 7.61x51...a deal I canno refudiate. :vcool:
Last edited by steelbuttplate on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Joekopec1

Post by Joekopec1 »

B24 wrote:
Joekopec1 wrote:
LGS has one on consignment for $350, maybe I need to pick it up. The metal is extra nice, the stock
is not beat up but has the usual scuffs on it. O me another caliber to try and stock up on.
Yeah I say grab it as long as it's original
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

I had a Samco k 31 with a troop tag birch, it shot well but I wanted walnut. Went back and they said do you want excellent rifle with walnut for $365? I said send it. Turned out to not match which I bitched about. Parts fit well, shoots fine, but does not seem to be as accurate though I have not really broken it in yet. In th JYD world you keep both to me it was Sophies choice.