Split Cases

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
ksbanker

Split Cases

Post by ksbanker »

Took the M39 out this past weekend and had a couple cases split and got a face full of wonderful smelling gases. I'm guessing it is an ammo issue, but I've had this batch of ammo around for a number of years and never noticed this happening before. Two cases split in the same spot. Most of the split cases I've seen pictures of have been up in the neck of the case. What do you think is going on here? The gun passed a field head space gauge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Split Cases

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, case failure, being that they are in identical spots on more than one case I suspect a weak spot in the brass. Take the rest of that lot and put it aside for use as reloading components.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

If it keeps on splitting cases, see if an unfired round will move at all when its in the chamber. It's hitting the primer slightly off center.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Three questions:

Do you have problems with any other ammo in this rifle?

Do you have problems with this ammo in any other rifle?

Did the rifle pass substantially on the field gauge (one of mine I hope) or did it just barely pass?
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You can also change out the bolt with another that will pass headspace on a go gauge and see if you still get split cases. From where they are splitting I would guess it is weak cases. I seem to remember some bad cases around a few years ago.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

websterz wrote:Three questions:

Do you have problems with any other ammo in this rifle?

Do you have problems with this ammo in any other rifle?

Did the rifle pass substantially on the field gauge (one of mine I hope) or did it just barely pass?
I do not have problems with the other type of surplus ammo I've tried in the rifle. But I have not had issues with the ammo which had case splits occur in other rifles.

Yes, I only use your gauges for my rimmed rifles. It passes the field with the bolt handle moving about half way between vertical and horizontal. So I would consider that passing quite well.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

steelbuttplate wrote:If it keeps on splitting cases, see if an unfired round will move at all when its in the chamber. It's hitting the primer slightly off center.
I put a round from the same batch into the chamber and it fits tightly.
~Sir Winston Churchill
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Definitely sounds like it's just bad brass. If you don't have hundreds and hundreds of rounds of the stuff then I would disassemble it for components. If you do have a ton of the stuff then I don't know what to recommend.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Thank you all! That's what I was thinking as well. I've probably got a couple hundred rounds of it still. I'll just shoot it out of the other guns that for whatever reason don't seem to have an issue.
~Sir Winston Churchill
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I just remembered , I got a can of '46 Russian ammo because it was on clips, opened it and saved the clips. I took some of the ammo to the range one day and it did this same split. About every other round. Does older brass get weak just from age?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

steelbuttplate wrote:I just remembered , I got a can of '46 Russian ammo because it was on clips, opened it and saved the clips. I took some of the ammo to the range one day and it did this same split. About every other round. Does older brass get weak just from age?
This stuff was not always stored under ideal conditions, and as such it will degrade over time.

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

websterz wrote:
steelbuttplate wrote:I just remembered , I got a can of '46 Russian ammo because it was on clips, opened it and saved the clips. I took some of the ammo to the range one day and it did this same split. About every other round. Does older brass get weak just from age?
This stuff was not always stored under ideal conditions, and as such it will degrade over time.
This came out of a sealed 330 rd can, packed in cardboard boxes. It wasn't shiny, but it looked good didn't have green shit or other corrosion.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

It happens. I shot hundreds of rounds of Czech 80's surplus and one round did exactly as yours. I look over each round more closely now. Startles the hell out of you, that's for sure.