New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
AquilaChrysaetos

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by AquilaChrysaetos »

Thanks! I'm already reading around the forum and looking at pictures. I don't have my rifle yet but I bought my first box of Tula ammo for it today. I will probably buy a box each payday and squirrel it away like I do for my 22 plinker. I also bought a recoil pad because I'm small and rather short.
hflowers

Post by hflowers »

First post, caught the bug...

1923 (1916 tang) 19/30 ex-Drag Hex Izhevsk
1955 Bubba'd RO M44 in a Hungarian Stock
1955 RO M44
1953 RO M44
1955 PO M44
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Welcome aboard! And none of those exist without photos here![emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jindodog

Post by jindodog »

Hello folks, new member here. I have been enjoying the forum here for quite some time as a lurker but it's time to "come in from the cold" and introduce myself. I've been collecting milsurps for roughly 15 years (on my fifth C&R renewal). I'm not much of a poster but I'm happy to be here and I
hope to be able to participate a bit more as my hectic schedule permits. My interest is Mosins in general and Finnish Mosins in particular. Looking forward to being here with others who enjoy collecting as much as I do. :D

Jimmy Joe Meeker
Location: Stuck between Cali expats, a Starbucks and a Evergreen

Post by Jimmy Joe Meeker »

Hi all, my name is John aka as Jimmy Joe Meeker in tribute to the best in show TV character. A golden Mosin to whoever knows the show the character was on and who played him. :biggrin: My hats off to all the wonderful folks who keep this forum up and running. I hope to post some more within the next couple days as soon as I can figure out how to resize photos to less than 2Mb. Take care,
JJM
"His gun is deadly... mine is in a cookie jar."- Jim Rockford

I have a special this week- Opinions come with no extra charge.
Walt_Mauser

Post by Walt_Mauser »

Good Day Everyone: Last Friday evening, I finally acquired a New England Westinghouse M91 Mosin Nagant I had been looking for a nice example of one for almost ten years. I'm a little bit of a snob when it comes to collectible, historic firearms, preferring to acquire examples that are original and unmolested, and in excellent, pristine, mint or unissued condition. While I have crossed paths with many NEW's over the years, finding one that met the criteria previously mentioned, with matching numbers, NON "SA" marked, and NON IMPORT MARKED has been a challenge. Anyway, I think I have acquired, what I believe to be, one of the late war or possibly post war manufactured rifles that was produced after the Russian Default and with U.S. Government bailout funding, with both U.S. and Russian inspector or acceptance markings. The serial number is 13398XX. The receiver is the "straight line" version with what some call 2mm lettering. The Russian Eagle bears the diamond on his chest. The stock bears the "English Contract" marking on the left side of the butt and on the bottom of the stock, above and below the the tang screws for the trigger / magazine assembly are the Eagle over "Y1" and Eagle over "Y19" respectively. About 3/4" above the "Y19" marking, (or about 1/4" below the cut out for the trigger guard is what appears to be a very small letter "O" or "Q" but maybe the number "0". I did not see any other marking on the stock, with the exception of a pencil marking inside the barrel channel. At first glance it appears to be the number "99". The character to the left is clearly the number "9"; the number to the right may be a number "9", but if it is, it was made by a different person. It might be the letter "G" The stock and handguard are in outstanding condition with only two minor blemishes on the stock: one being a tiny chip near the butt plate, the size of a match head from a book match; the other being a thin scratch about 5/8 " long on the left side just above the trigger. I believe this particular rifle is one of the rifles sold to the General Public via the DCM for $3.00 back in very early 1920's. All the markings on the metal and furniture are crisp and clear. There are no blemishes on the screws or brass fittings. The screw heads are not buggered up, nor are there any scratch marks surrounding the screws where the screw driver may have slipped off the head of the screw. The same is true regarding the cross bolt, (the one that you use a spanner pliers to remove) and the butt plate. BTW, I should have stated that the receiver, bolt and butt plate are serial number matching. There is no serial number on the mag floor plate. The barrel Shank has a least 5 inspection marks: Eagle over "Y1", etc. The front sight has no drift marks on either side. The rear sight ladder looks like it has never been moved. I do not believe this rifle was ever disassembled after the initial factory assembly. There is the full complement of cosmoline in the barrel. I doubt any was ever removed from the bore. There is still substantial cosmoline on the internal components. It appears that a previous owner, (I do not know the history of the rifle, I purchased it at a public auction), made a token effort at removing the cosmoline from the stock, handguard, exposed metal, and the bolt. There is residual cosmoline on the external stock and handguard and some cosmoline that weeped into the inside of the stock and handguard, and substantial cosmoline inside the magazine well / trigger guard the finger groves, around the barrel band and nose cap areas, and the cleaning rod channel. (BTW: the cleaning rod is original, being 29 inches long with the lines on the top knob being slanted.) There is so much cosmoline in the barrel that I doubt a cartridge could be seated properly in the chamber. Likewise there is still a substantial amount of residual cosmoline in and on the bolt. Apparently enough was removed to cycle the bolt. The bolt face shows no markings or residual powder residue from being fired. It is therefore my conclusion that this particular rifle has not been fired since being sold by the DCM. Since it lacks and handling marks, an import stamp, unit markings, etc., I believe it to be an unissued rifle. I've attached pictures of various markings. I'll attach more pictures after I clean it up and reassemble the rifle.

(Someone please instruct me as how to add pictures to this or future post. Is there an attach button somewhere that will allow me to select pictures from my stored downloads? Thanks.)

"If a man's character is unknown, judge him by the company he keeps!"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, sounds like a nice rifle, the attachments button is right below the reply message box, you will have to size down the pictures to at least 640x480 before they will post. I would suggest putting the pics on the main Mosin board in a new thread so people will see them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
EddieD25

Post by EddieD25 »

Hi everyone! I just got my firearms I.D. card about a week and a half a go and bought my first rifle this past Saturday! It was a Mosin =). I was looking to get one for a good year or two and finally was able to get my firearms i.d. application done now that I'm finished with school. So they had a 1942 91/30 Ishevsk at a local shop and decided I liked it. Now that I've bought it and been reading up on these guns more I noticed theres more marks than I thought while I was in the shop. Is this a place a new member can post pictures and have others identify the marks? I have most of them down after looking at some pictures that help identify which marks are which. There are a few that I am not sure about. Anyway, thanks for this great website and I cant wait to start learning more and more about these rifles!
EddieD25

Post by EddieD25 »

Ok so here are pics of it. I appreciate all the help. Things I am pretty sure about are the box with the diagonal line means it was refurbed. The circled R on the bolt means its Remington I believe. The year, Izhevsk logo, and soviet stamp I understand. The serial number is matching all over the gun and the bayonet, but I'm assuming they were force matched? The other marks I am not sure about like the B, Diamond with a 6 in the middle, and theres a couple other marks that I'm not even sure what they are. There is some sort of mark right above the soviet stamp, but I have no idea what it can be. I appreciate any help I can get! It's interesting to me to know if it was used during the war and where it ended up etc. I love history which is one of the reasons I was so into buying this!

googleit

Post by googleit »

Hello,

I bought a Tula hex 1934 Mosin a few days ago and after further inspection of the marking, I have found A marking that I could not find on any Mosin marking page. I have posted a picture the marking is the roman numeral 7 VII. The marking is located right above the trigger when the rifle is disassembled. Just curious what this marking may be and if anyone has come across it.

paste url in browser to view photo

Thanks
googleit
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You would have better success in posting this and other pictures to the main Mosin Nagant forum. Sometimes more complete pictures will help in identifying such stamps.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Indian 44

Post by Indian 44 »

Hello to all. I'm looking forward to learning about my mosins and their history. "See" you in the threads. Indian
Michkal

Post by Michkal »

Hello,

Ordered a Hex Mosin Nagant, so yes I'm a nagant newbie.. Look forward to this rifle!
Sayulita101

Post by Sayulita101 »

New member from b.c. Here. New owner of a 36 izhevsk I found in a small local sporting goods store for 200 cnd pesos. :thumbsup:
Sayulita101

Post by Sayulita101 »

New member from British Columbia here. Bought a 1936 matching numbers izhevsk I picked up from a small local sporting store. Actually a valentine's gift from my wife. Nothing says "I care" like a cool russian infantry rifle !
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

As SM says, welcome aboard one and all! Post photos early and often!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HeroSlayer88

Post by HeroSlayer88 »

New member hereImage

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board all of our new members :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
chuck1

Post by chuck1 »

Hello everyone, I've been collecting milsurps for a while . I have a few mosin nagants, came across the forum and decided to join in. :D
r80rt

Post by r80rt »

Hello, I'm a new member from Arkansas, I've owned several Mosin's over the years and just got a Finnish M39, I'm here to learn.