The Red Rifles

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

The Red Rifles

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Some pictures from my archive of the Red Rifles taken when I posted then on this and the old board as they came into the collection.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Re: The Red Rifles

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a nice re-post, Jim, from back in the day when "Triangle 1" meant East Germany.....:)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am just happy I never paid for that marking, all the "DDR" rifles came to me by chance
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Pahtu

Post by Pahtu »

Cool Red Rifle collection! :)

Pahtu.
I do not always fire a rifle, but when I do....it is a Mosin I choose..... 8-)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Thank you, some of them are here anyway, I am still looking for one more hard drive with about 6000 pictures on it from 2006-2008. I used to take pictures of each rifle, these pictures are the ones that made it to the hosting site.
Theodore Roosevelt
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice Jim, memories of the old board when we never paid over $90.00 and knew about 1/2 what we know now.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Talk about a nice looking lot. I love the cool arsenal repair :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh yea, I remember, $45 91/30's, at least that's the least I paid for one after 2000, Under $150 M39's, under $80 M38's M44's, cheap ammo. All the free stuff with the refurbs, oil bottles, slings, bayonets, cleaning kits, ammo pouch. This isn't even half the refurb collection, I was buying milsurps every week back then, at some points they were coming in every day. I was doing deals for multiple rifles at a time, I recall buying four M91's from somebody on the old board, the names in my old bound book, they came in one big box all neatly packed inside. The second half of the happy time, all done now. Remember I warned about this back then, I told everybody to buy as much as possible while the getting was good. It would cost ten times what I paid back then to build this collection today. I did 91/30's year by year for each arsenal, same with the carbines, and I included lots of dragoon dates as well. Insanity.
Theodore Roosevelt
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Great photos and lots of great Mosins (and others). I really enjoyed scrolling through the photos. Thanks for posting.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

...gotta set that up as a rotating screen saver loop
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Now that I can use photobucket there will be more.
Theodore Roosevelt
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

:Drool1: :Drool1: Man those are some sweet rifles & medals! I have the same medal as you do. The middle one with the baby blue & darker blue ribbon. Picked it up in Minsk, Belarus in 2001 just outside of the Great Patriotic War Museum downtown right next door to the opera house where Lee Harvey Oswald met his wife. There were a small collection of vendors outside in the snow with a couple of tables & I picked it up for $20 & they threw in a bunch of Soviet Ruble coins depicting Soviet achievements in space. Amazing city & very cool museum. :thumbsup:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Very nice selection of some great looking Mosins.

Those on the "Grey blanket" look really good, there is something about old rifles on a grey blanket and looking better than average. :whistle:
Kollaa kestää
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Titanium Hammer wrote::Drool1: :Drool1: Man those are some sweet rifles & medals! I have the same medal as you do. The middle one with the baby blue & darker blue ribbon. Picked it up in Minsk, Belarus in 2001 just outside of the Great Patriotic War Museum downtown right next door to the opera house where Lee Harvey Oswald met his wife. There were a small collection of vendors outside in the snow with a couple of tables & I picked it up for $20 & they threw in a bunch of Soviet Ruble coins depicting Soviet achievements in space. Amazing city & very cool museum. :thumbsup:
I picked the medals up just after the USSR fell in 1992-93 when they could be had dirt cheap and nobody was yet reproducing them. The ones in the case are all originals, serial numbered, I forget what that blue ribbon award is for, the ones on the bottom are the Order of the Red Star, the most special one in that case is just to the left of the blue ribbon one, it's the Order of the October Revolution. That one was presented to surviving participants of the 1917 revolution in 1967. It contains silver gold and platinum. I have a box full of this stuff, badges, pins, orders, awards, the Soviets had a mania for that shit, some of the old timers over there just about totter over from the weight of the medals all over the front of their suit jackets.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lee-online wrote:Very nice selection of some great looking Mosins.

Those on the "Grey blanket" look really good, there is something about old rifles on a grey blanket and looking better than average. :whistle:
The Grey blanket seller and I have done business in the past, good guys to deal with, however none of these Mosins are from them. I know the prices they get for this stuff and I am not paying that. I bought a nice 1893 Turkish Mauser from them, and a couple of other less expensive items. That blanket is DDR, I picked it up back in '92 and used it as a sun shade over the red leather seats in my '72 caddy back in the 90's. I still have that blanket someplace.
Theodore Roosevelt
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Titanium Hammer wrote::Drool1: :Drool1: Man those are some sweet rifles & medals! I have the same medal as you do. The middle one with the baby blue & darker blue ribbon. Picked it up in Minsk, Belarus in 2001 just outside of the Great Patriotic War Museum downtown right next door to the opera house where Lee Harvey Oswald met his wife. There were a small collection of vendors outside in the snow with a couple of tables & I picked it up for $20 & they threw in a bunch of Soviet Ruble coins depicting Soviet achievements in space. Amazing city & very cool museum. :thumbsup:
I picked the medals up just after the USSR fell in 1992-93 when they could be had dirt cheap and nobody was yet reproducing them. The ones in the case are all originals, serial numbered, I forget what that blue ribbon award is for, the ones on the bottom are the Order of the Red Star, the most special one in that case is just to the left of the blue ribbon one, it's the Order of the October Revolution. That one was presented to surviving participants of the 1917 revolution in 1967. It contains silver gold and platinum. I have a box full of this stuff, badges, pins, orders, awards, the Soviets had a mania for that shit, some of the old timers over there just about totter over from the weight of the medals all over the front of their suit jackets.
It's the "Order of the Red Banner" medal for Labor bigwigs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_ ... _of_Labour It contains silver & is numbered on the back. Definitely not your run of the mill cheap crap pot metal award that they handed out to millions of people for potato peeling, etc. The prices for the legitimate medals just keep going up & up.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't have many of the cheap aluminum medals, only some that came to me with other things I bought. Back then I aimed for the more ornate and interesting older medals. The entire Soviet State was on sale for awhile until the Russian government cracked down on exporting Russia's cultural heritage. Even after that if you knew someone connected with the Russian mob you could still get stuff, this is New York, I knew someone.
Theodore Roosevelt
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Very nice! Would love to see more pics of that 24 Izhevsk.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Very nice,i hope you find the hard drive with the 6000 pictures,would love to see them.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi