Slamfires on '51 Tula SKS

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

Hello all
I'm looking for a little insight as to the causes of "slamfires" on the SKS. I recently bought a 1951 Tula which is near new condition and seems to be prone to slamfires.
The condition I have is that the gun has done "slamfired" twice in the first shooting session. The gun isn't emptying the clip, it just goes ba-bang with a two round burst.
I cleaned the bolt before using it and there wasn't anything odd or unusual about the firing pin, The firing pin seems to float freely. The ammo is nasty 1980's Chinese surplus so I'm thinking it's not soft primers.

What do I need to look for?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark AP

Post by Mark AP »

One thing to check for, make sure it's the correct firing pin. There are 3 different types that the Russians used at different times. Know as type 1,2,3. Pull the firing pin and and show pictures of it along with the bolt and I can tell you if it's the correct pin. I've never had this happen to me but I've heard of it. Causes cured by cleaning a dirty channel. If yours is clean then perhaps it's the wrong pin for the bolt. Also look for a burr along the side of the pin that it might be getting hung up on. If so a fine file will do the trick.
Last edited by Mark AP on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greasemonkey

Re: Slamfires on '51 Tula SKS

Post by Greasemonkey »

Try simple things before pointing fingers at parts and pieces :thumbsup:

Did you pull the pin and clean the firing pin channel when you first cleaned it? If not, I would highly recommend it, could be grease remains from 40 years ago in there or who knows what in there.

Also, reading your range post in -22c weather, it sounds cold :? , did you apply any oil or any type of lube to the firing pin or in the pin channel? If so, run it dry there, thick cold oil could be the culprit. Plus with any firing the oil will attract powder residue, especially if using nasty dirty ammo and thicken up even more. If you feel the absolute need to lube, use just a very thin coat, the bare minimum.

An SKS doesn't need much lube, especially in or on the bolt and gas system, you run them almost dry in those areas. Lube them up for storage, but clean it off before firing.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Mark AP

Post by Mark AP »

Well he said he cleaned it. So while checking it/cleaning it again I think it would be wise to check the parts are correct for each other as most have been refurbished and may have got a pin replacement or it may have been changed by someone for some reason in the past. Good advise especially in that cold of weather but, I doubt it was in the cold long enough for it to behave like that, and after firing a few rounds it would keep a good temp to not freeze oil. I've seen parts with defects more times than not with functional issues. Great point Greasemonkey! It's for sure on of the things mentions by one of us. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

All valid points :thumbsup:

In my experience with an SKS bolt, never assume anything, everybody says they clean them, but I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the ones I've knocked the retaining pin out of, dug the firing pin out and found a sticky mass of grease, carbon and junk in the firing pin channel. :D I even bought one super cheap that wouldn't fire, simply because the pin wouldn't move due to grease and junk. I have only found one bad firing pin in an Albanian, and it was bent. :shock:

All I've seen from Russian SKSs was an early spring loaded pin and bolt, and the later non spring loaded pin and bolt, these two parts are not interchangeable. In the photos he shows a later style bolt and pin. The spring loaded pin has a wider base for the hammer to hit, the later doesn't. The spring loaded bolt has a simple smaller in diameter retaining pin, more like a solid roll pin, not the standard style SKS retaining pin like is shown on his bolt.
Mark AP

Post by Mark AP »

[emoji106] then his pin should be the second one down in the picture. The other pins should not have came with a Russian SKS. Image
Mark AP

Post by Mark AP »

I'd like to have your Albanian, I've got all the other ones, I been keeping an eye out for one.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Another suggestion while one has the pin out, along with checking it for straightness, polish it with a scotchbrite pad or something similar and remove any burrs or roughness. :thumbsup:
Mark AP wrote:I'd like to have your Albanian, I've got all the other ones, I been keeping an eye out for one.
Which one...wait...Noo! :facepalm1: They are mine :chuckles:
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

Finally got finished with the honey-do list and tore down the SKS bolt.
I found there was a little bit of crap on the firing pin, the firing pin tip was rough, the hole where the firing pin protrudes was rough and the slot for the firing pin retaining pin was really rough.
We polished the firing pin head and cleaned up the bolt. We also smoothed the retaining pin slot.
I'm not sure if I missed anything else - the pin slides really free now!
I made sure to clean everything thoroughly while it was apart and re-assembled dry.

Hopefully I've cured the slam fire issue. Thanks for the suggestions!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark AP

Post by Mark AP »

Oh yeah, looks good. That's the correct pin for your bolt so you are good there. Remember they made a lot very fast and while quality was excellent.. a few slip through the cracks on a Friday just before quoting time. That thing should run like a raped date now!
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Have a look here about the slamefire. I had the same issue and I bought his pin and havent looked back. https://murraysguns.com/sks-firing-pins/

Sent from my SM-T805W using Tapatalk
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

Thanks for the link. I was going to bring the gun to the range this weekend for testing but it's too cold even for me. We're taking a trip to the big city instead of freezing my a** off at the range in - 25 Celsius without the windchill. Shopping for guns and ammo sounds way better.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk