Hoppes kit

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
pacanis

Re: Hoppes kit

Post by pacanis »

millman wrote:I by white flannel by the yard at Wally world and cut it to make patches.
That's a great idea. How do you cut it? Does it cut easier than regular patches?
I had one heckuva time the other day cutting some cleaning patches down. Every pair of scissors I grabbed, and they are newer, sharp scissors, just wanted to fold the material.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's why I like the round USGI .30 patches, they are a perfect fit for any .30 rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You forgot your own text :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:You forgot your own text :)
It's the thought that counts. :bwink:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:That depends , do you have brass on your Mosin? If so it will only be the handguard endcaps, they are already protected by the shellac that is probably all over them and do not require any further attention.
This is an attempt to make you put on your thinking cap early in the morning. :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Thinking cap broke......in 1986, but I am working on it :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Rongoman wrote:To summarize, get yourself a good quality Carbon one piece cleaning rod, 8mm-.338 QUALITY bronze brushes & lots of them, a good brass jag in .30 caliber, a big bag of good patches, Kroil, CLP Break-free, Hoppes, Sweets 7.62, Foaming bore cleaner & some JB Bore Paste.

Also, a good cleaning mat, Gunsmith screwdriver kit, Lemon oil, paper towels, old toothbrush, brass brush, Q-tips, mink oil for leather, silicone gun cloth, bore light & safety glasses.

That's a good start to your ULTIMATE bench must-have list. :biggrin:
Rongoman has a great list, I would add pipe cleaners and and a bore light of some type.

Later on get an Elby sight tool, I'm still waiting on mine but I think it will be the cats meow for getting windage zero. And a set of Okie head space guages can't hurt either, there on my next months payday check list.

Semper FI, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

I should add that you do not need all this stuff at once, start with the rod, brush, jag, hoppes, and patches. Then go from there.

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I'd recommend NOT to get a felt type gun cleaning mat. I picked one up at Cabela's recently. I now see there's a reason they don't use their own mat at the gun counter.

I'll add Q-Tips to the list. They're cheap, and I use them daily :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I use floor mats out of the rear areas of mini vans, cleaned up, and flipped over so the plain side is up.
Theodore Roosevelt
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I have the elby sight tool I used it to put the aperture sight on the front of my mosin which the tool kinda marred it a bit so i'm probably gonna put the post and globe sight back on.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

pacanis wrote:
millman wrote:I by white flannel by the yard at Wally world and cut it to make patches.
That's a great idea. How do you cut it? Does it cut easier than regular patches?
I had one heckuva time the other day cutting some cleaning patches down. Every pair of scissors I grabbed, and they are newer, sharp scissors, just wanted to fold the material.
I used to use a pair of pinking shears, They worked quite well. But the last batch I had, I got my MIL to use her rotary cutter that she uses for quilting. That was the way to go. She has some way of setting the width, and they were all almost exactly 1 1/2 inches square. Short of a seamstress MIL, I would suggest the pinking shears. :)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Sgt. Rob wrote: Just do not use steel, or any jointed cleaning rod. Always a one piece.
+1

Sometimes, no matter how many times I read something, I have to see it first hand to have it sink in. Of course, I just read this post from Rob today. I am actually fond of my new 4 piece brass rod set and thought though Rob's advice makes sense, I'll be OK.

So tonight, I bring home the blackpowder rifle and like usual, give a new rifle a good cleaning. Well my nifty sectional cleaning rod decides to come unscrewed with the brush down at the breach. I got it out without too much trouble, but I consider myself very lucky...and in the market for a single piece rod!

Though his advice was more to avoid bore damage, the same thoughts are applicable to black powder.
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
runs.like

Post by runs.like »

do they make those nifty rope cleaners for rifles? I've got one for my ruger mkii that's pretty snazzy and no worries about a rod causing damage to the bore.... as I type this I image the rope breaking...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Thet do have bore snakes for rifles but i have found that the patches work better in a dirty rifle. I do use one every now and then though. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I like using bore snakes. They're long enough to drop through these long barrels and handy enough that you can carry them with you while shooting and run them through while the barrel is warm.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Yes I need to pick a bore snake up as well. I think i'm gonna order a Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod and not worry about damaging anything. As I mentioned I have used the Mosin cleaning rod but properly put it together I just dont much care for the jag on it. I cleaned her really well today though ran patches through until clean white ones came out.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Never used a bore snake, only cleaning rods of the one piece variety, from my USGI 1916 brass to the Devey , and a few aluminium ones for the shotguns and black powder shooters.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

For me bore snakes work OK on nice new clean and un pitted , un frosted bores. Otherwise they foul up quickly. For a pull through cleaning system I highly reccomend the Otis kit.

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

My bore is pretty damn shiny there is no pitting or frosting in that I can see. It looks really well and clean for a 1943 rifle.