Field testing the Pietta 1858 Remington target model

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Field testing the Pietta 1858 Remington target model

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Now that the weather has turned cool it's time to hit the range with the Remington target model I picked up from a member of one of my BP forums last month. It's been sitting on the table waiting, and today was the day, this evening anyway. Well, it seems I have finally found a Remington that my shitty eyesight can manage to get good results out of, or at least pretty good for me. Then tiny, little sights on the regular Remington, and Colt revolvers give my eyes fits, but with these modern sights it was as easy as shooting my GP100, or Blackhawk. Acquired a sight picture very quickly even in the gathering darkness of days end, adjusting for elevation is a snap. I set up on some old cans at just under 65 yards, a branch is down across my range from the hurricane at 65 yards from my bench, so I figured I would see what it would do from there. .457 Hornady ball, 30 grains ( because that's the spout I happened to have on the flask) FFFG Goex, and a wonder wadd. I was amazed to see my first shot connect and send the can tumbling, had to go set it up, this time more securely, the next five smacked it in a 6' circle, as I got used to the sights and trigger the groups tightened up until they made a ragged hole in the can. Spent some time playing around bouncing cans down the range before it got to dark to see. Managed 42 rounds of fun, now Kevin did some work to this piece, the trigger is smooth, and he opened up the chambers to .457 among other things, I had not expected such good results without fiddling with the powder charge a bit, but it seems to like 30 grains so why mess with what ain't broke. Here is a shot of the revolver, and one of the cans I was playing around with, .457 makes some big holes.

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Field testing the Pietta 1858 Remington target model

Post by Longcolt44 »

Cool, but the American Can Collectors Assn. are going to be mad.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Nothing beats a cool evening, the hanging smoke of powder, and the clink that accompanies a jumping can. Nice shooting!
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sounds like fun. I see you have the same loader as i have. 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That loader was sold with the Uberti cap 'n' ball Colt 1873, but I use it with all the revolvers. It's easier to load with the cylinder off the gun, and with the Remington 1858 it's important to wipe down the cylinder frequently to avoid it's sticking, loading with the cylinder in the loader means I remember to wipe that pin. The American can association would hate what I did to the other olive oil can I used, I filled that one with water, small hole going in, back of the can split like a flower as the bullet was leaving, I should have shot a pic of that before I blew it to bits .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I was wondering about that loader myself. Neat piece of work. I see that a nice time was had by all (except for the can!)
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Looks like a real blast. 8-) 8-) That can does not look happy. :lol:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Nice shooting. I think this is my favorite kind of shooting. You hit the can, and therefor the gun shoots perfectly. But sitting at a bench, at 200 yards, your shot is off enough to change your group to a repulsive 3" group, and you can't sleep, eat, or think straight. You gotta love a nice slow paced day with black powder.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you hit the can just right, on the bottom lip, it will flip up in the air, and if you are real good you can hit it while it's still in the air. Wild Bill was that good, me I think I did it once :)
Theodore Roosevelt