Steyr Gewehr 88

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ksbanker

Steyr Gewehr 88

Post by ksbanker »

Came across a really nice looking Steyr Gew 88 at a gun show today. Looked like all numbers matched except for the bolt. No Turkish markings that I could see. Bluing was excellent. I've searched the forum trying to quickly learn a little bit about these.

I can tell it was updated in 1905 for sure. They are asking $400. Do any of you have some details to check for that effect value most? From what I've read it looks like the vast majority were sent to Turkey.

I did see JYD's great video on his Steyr 88.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
desdem12

Re: Steyr Gewehr 88

Post by desdem12 »

400 seems abit high unless not refurbed into a 88/05. The bolt not matching sounds like it could be a turk issue but they were sent to several other countries. I would try to get them down on that number unless in extremely nice condition
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

Was the reciever in the white or blued? If not Turked ie no arabic or moon markings $400 seems fair.
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

Also was it updated for stripper clips or just the S cartridge?
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

It has the been modified to accept stripper clips and has the plate on the bottom of the magazine. The bluing on the receiver is very good. I didn't see any moons or Turkish markings. I suppose there could be some on the bolt. It was zip tied down so I didn't get a great look at that.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

Sounds like its been refinished. Not sure if the Germans did that but I have seen Turk guns that were arsenal reblued. Id pass.
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Thank you that's what I was wondering. I really appreciate your wisdom!
~Sir Winston Churchill