Surplus 7.62x54r ID?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
mwt

Surplus 7.62x54r ID?

Post by mwt »

Can someone ID this ammo

Thanks
Marty
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gene S

Re: Surplus 7.62x54r ID?

Post by Gene S »

Looks to be plant #60 manufactured in 1989.
mwt

Post by mwt »

Can you tell what country? Bullet weight? LGS has this for sale

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

It is 147 grain bullet aka light ball. This may help also.
Ammo Tin ID fixed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Gene S

Post by Gene S »

mwt wrote:Can you tell what country? Bullet weight? LGS has this for sale

Plant 60 is in Russia.
Like was mentioned it would have a 147gr. Projectile, possibly with a mild steel core.
mwt

Post by mwt »

Thanks

Gene S

Post by Gene S »

Just to let you know, this is usually corrosive ammo.
Not bad just have to be aware of the need to clean right after shooting.

I have some from Russia's factory 188 & I typically keep a bottle of windex in my range bag to clean the bore before I leave the range.
mwt

Post by mwt »

What kind of accuracy do you get from this ammo? I primarily handload and am getting some decent groups from my first Mosin - m39.
ImageImage

If this stuff is not reasonably accurate I'll lose interest quickly.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Do not expect handload quality from surplus com-block ammo. The com-block stuff is adequate for plinking, it will perform to the level of most average shooters, in short don't expect 1 MOA accuracy. When you handload you are tailor making the round for a particular rifle, and fine tuning the round until you squeeze the best possible accuracy out of the rifle in question. Neither the Mosin nor it's surplus ammo can be expected to meet the level of a star gauged US M1903 in top condition, sometimes these rifles surprise you but I would go in expecting 4-6 MOA at 100 yards with a typical Soviet 91/30 refurb and any of the surplus ammo. Plinking ammo, and getting much harder to find, I would suggest if the price is good that you grab as much as you can and stash it, sell it later when the cost is higher, and it will be higher. Not everyone handloads like we do, they will be needing that surplus ammo to feed their habit.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mwt

Post by mwt »

I don't think their price will be very attractive-but regardless if 4-6 MOA is to be expected I'm not interested.

My experience is mostly with Mausers. M75 yugo surplus rivals my handloads in 8x57. Likewise Greek HXP in 30-06 and 303 is quite good. Was hoping there was Mosin surplus of similar quality.

Thanks
Marty

Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

There are more variations of mosin surplus ammo out there, but price will now make new production ammo more economical. Keep your eyes open for it at the gun shows, you never know what might show up.

Here is a thread with some good info. Some of the different types shown with their markings..

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... ilit=crate

Oh, i don't think JYD is saying the ammo is 4-6moa but the average Russian refurbished rifle is.
Kollaa kestää
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The Good stuff I've used: 188 stamped FMJ Russian, no silvertip, '86. Circle 10 (on can) '82 green lacquer fmj. Bulgarian heavy ball brass case '55.
Not as good grouping w/ '70's Russian silvertip, but no misfires. :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Your rifle is the Finn M39, I would expect better than 4-6 MOA with that, all of mine performed better than that with surplus. You have the perfect Mosin to work up a handload for, the Finn's had a higher standard of expectations for their rifles. They also practice every man a rifleman, and built the tools such trained shooters require. The M39 sits at the top of the Mosin infantry rifle food chain, most will have spotless bores with tight crowns, tuned triggers, shimmed actions, excellent sights, pistol grip stock. Even I have to try hard to miss with the M39. I found there was less inconsistency with the M39 when swapping from one type of ammo to another, Czech to Soviet to Hungarian, even Albanian, it shot them all well with little variation in point of impact. I suspect this is due to the Finn's adhering to tighter tolerances than the Soviets, and better consistency in the manufacturing process from barrel to barrel. Perfection rather than just good enough. This is also true of Finn ammunition production, the Soviets made ammunition in dozens of plants across many countries and there was some variation in spec that they didn't seem to get a grip on. Tiny variations that can become a problem when coupled with rifles that suffer from the same tiny variations of spec in bore diameter, chamber size, headspace, coupled with soldiers trained to saw the crap out of the barrels crown with steel cleaning rods.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

mwt wrote:What kind of accuracy do you get from this ammo? I primarily handload and am getting some decent groups from my first Mosin - m39.
ImageImage

If this stuff is not reasonably accurate I'll lose interest quickly.

If you want accurate surplus ammo, get some Yougoslavian M30j, or Russian 7N1, which is sniper ammo. Good luck finding either. You are ten years too late to be that choosy.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
mwt

Post by mwt »

Sounds like handloading remains my best option for now because I am pretty "choosey" regarding accuracy.

Thanks for the heads up on the sniper ammo entropy-I'll know what to keep an eye out for - I can be pretty resourceful when I know what I'm looking for

By the way I received an m27 yesterday-bore cast tonight confirms pretty nice .3095 bore - counterbored. I'm assuming my .311 Sierra pro hunters I'm using in the m39 will likely work ok in it as well?

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Probably, best way to know is to try them and see.
Theodore Roosevelt
mwt

Post by mwt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Probably, best way to know is to try them and see.
No doubt-was hoping to benefit from other's experience with this model.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The M27 like all the Finn built Mosins tends to be a step above the norm. My own never had any issues digesting surplus ammunition, nothing earth shaking, 2 MOA average, and that's with me shooting.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Marty, the .311 Sierra Pro Hunters are hard to beat. Surprising I have had good results from .308 Pro Hunters also in my M39.
mwt

Post by mwt »

bunkysdad wrote:Marty, the .311 Sierra Pro Hunters are hard to beat. Surprising I have had good results from .308 Pro Hunters also in my M39.
They really work well in my Enfields as well-and not too bad as game getters either - took this doe over the weekend with the 180 gr pro hunter