Finnish Lotta Bayonet & Leather Scabbard

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
capt14k

Finnish Lotta Bayonet & Leather Scabbard

Post by capt14k »

I believe this is a somewhat rare one. Finnish 91/24 Bayonet w/ Leather Scabbard w/ Retaining Strap. Seems there is an original lined out Russian Number, a Lined Out Civil Guard Number, and a Civil Guard Number. Also looks like there are slashes on the bayonet. Scabbard is in excellent condition. Has what looks like a circular maker's mark but it is worn and I can't make it out. I traded with one of my contacts in Finland. (3) books for the bayonet, scabbard, ammo pouch, and Arma Fennica 2 Book. Anyone know anymore about maker mark on scabbard, numbers, or value?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by capt14k on Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capt14k

Re: Finnish Lotta Bayonet & Leather Scabbard

Post by capt14k »

On another forum Pahtu informed me it started as a New England Westinghouse based on the P with arrow

zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Just what makes this a Finnish Lotta bayonet and not a bayonet for any Civil Guard M91? A Finnish Lotta is a M91/24 right and to my way of thinking this bayonet would fit any Finnish owned M91. I also can't seem to make out the P with arrow anywhere either but with my old eyes that could be on the tip of my nose and I might miss it. That scabbard is very much like a few I have seen that are repro's too could you explain that to us a bit too. Not wishing to down your post just wanting to learn a bit too. Respectfully submitted. Bill :?:
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Zeebill-
The P with arrow is there - but it is tough to see.

What makes an M24 bayonet is the notch carved into the lockring to allow the taller front sight of the Lotta rifle. You can see that in the pics as well.

I'm no expert on the Finn scabbards, but with the source from which he got the bayonet (a seller he's purchased several things from in the past) and drawing from the pictures of real scabbards posted in trusted places as well and my own examples...that looks as legit as it gets.

A gorgeous example and one that any Finn collector would love to have. Especially a Civil Guard specific collector, such as myself :biggrin:
I love the Civil Guard district number stamped on it. I certainly wish my M24 bayos had that!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I'm not seeing anything reproduction about the scabbard. The only thing that makes leather crack like that is decades of hanging out, kinda like the leather I was born with :vcool:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Knuckledragger is 100% correct.

It is an original scabbard for sure. There is a maker's mark stamp that looks like a circle with possibly an X and other markings inside each quadrant. However it is well worn. The patina on the bayonet along with the source I am positive it is the real deal. Plus it would be a lot of trouble to go through to age both scabbard and Bayonet and stamp guard district numbers and line them out for not much money. The books I sent are valued at $280. The book I received is valued at $100 and the ammo pouch I'm guessing $40. Here is a link to more pics.

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Here is ammo pouch pics sent to me. I haven't had chance to take my own. They aren't the best pics but you can see the strong SA Stamp

ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Could the slash marks have been caused by a pair of pliers being used to remove the bayonet? Could be the bayonet was extremely tight on a barrel, just throwing an ideal out there.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: Finnish Lotta Bayonet & Leather Scabbard

Post by capt14k »

ffuries wrote:Could the slash marks have been caused by a pair of pliers being used to remove the bayonet? Could be the bayonet was extremely tight on a barrel, just throwing an ideal out there.
They seem to be pretty wide apart for even channel locks. I will have to look at it closer.

ffuries

Re: RE: Re: Finnish Lotta Bayonet & Leather Scabbard

Post by ffuries »

capt14k wrote:
ffuries wrote:Could the slash marks have been caused by a pair of pliers being used to remove the bayonet? Could be the bayonet was extremely tight on a barrel, just throwing an ideal out there.
They seem to be pretty wide apart for even channel locks. I will have to look at it closer.

Or maybe the tool used to remove the bayonet, a few of mine don't seat right when removing the bayonets. Just another off the wall ideal.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Finnish Lotta Bayonet & Leather Scabbard

Post by capt14k »

ffuries wrote:
capt14k wrote:

Or maybe the tool used to remove the bayonet, a few of mine don't seat right when removing the bayonets. Just another off the wall ideal.
I could see that. Especiallyif it was taken on and off multiple times.

I have to admit I was hoping it was for number of Russians stuck, but I know that is unlikely.

Pahtu

Post by Pahtu »

The bayonet is a rare and unique piece of history & just a joy to see and appreciate.

Pahtu. ;)
I do not always fire a rifle, but when I do....it is a Mosin I choose..... 8-)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Never too old to learn! Now I have to look in the safe again to see what it holds. S&S used to sell a very similar scabbard frog to that one. It was a repro made for a different bayonet I know I have one somewhere in my Civil War stuff which is scattered from here to who knows where. I will try and see if I can find it this week. Have two projects, no three come to think of it plus house chores and a show this weekend too. Busy week with packing and all. We should have 50+ rifles out for sale at Fairmont WV this weekend. Maybe Joe and me will see some of you guys! If anything we will lack enough room to put them all out. Now I need to get in the safe to look at bayonets. Yikes got to run for supper! Bill :o
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Alsky posted a couple of his on the other forum. None have the Civil Guard District numbers but scabbard is the same.