Japanese Type 44 (Variation 1 bayonet and muzzle cover) Thoughts?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
lthilsdorf

Japanese Type 44 (Variation 1 bayonet and muzzle cover) Thoughts?

Post by lthilsdorf »

Placed an absentee bid on a Type 44 and won it for what I think was a decent price. It was listed as an "Old German Army Rifle (Possibly Japanese or SKS)" and noted that it wouldn't fire. I've always wanted one but didn't care to pay the huge prices I see them listed for. All I have now are the auction photos. Originally I only had the first photo to go by, so I asked for a few more. Luckily these photos confirmed to me why the rifle was "unfireable". Seems someone put the bolt back together wrong. There also looks like some kind of muzzle cover is on the rifle, but I'm no expert on that. I'll have better photos Monday when I drive to pick it up.

Any concerns based on these photos? They aren't the best.

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Japanese Type 44 (Variation 1 bayonet and muzzle cover) Thoughts?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mum not ground, that's a plus, it doesn't look issued or possibly it's been refinished, that stock looks too nice for a rifle that saw the island hopping war. Most unground rifles were collected before 1945, every 44 I have seen including my own was picked up off the ground, the stocks are on the dark side, bluing worn. This one looks more like the type 38 I have that came directly out of a Tokyo arsenal just after the war, a trophy taken by a member of the occupation army and brought home. Nice find.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

I was thinking the same thing about the stock, but I won't know until I see it in person tomorrow. I'm only $475 in the hole with this one, so I feel I'll come out on top either way.

entropy

Post by entropy »

Nice find! :vcool:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

It looks like it is in nice shape. The bluing looks real good, and it has the intact mum :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

only $475....yes, things have come along way with Japanese rifles. My own was handed to me in 1984 by a man who refused payment and while laughing asked what I wanted that piece of shit for. That sort of thing was not an isolated incident back then when there was near zero respect for these rifles ( as well as some others) I did help the man sell off some other old military equipment, that buyer had no interest in the Jap rifle, he gave it to me to be rid of it. A lot of WW2 Pacific vets were like that about Japanese equipment. They brought it home to make a very cheap bang around hunting rifle or to hand it over to the little brothers for playing. I acquired several of my Arisakas for nothing, others for so little that they might as well have been free by todays standards. They didn't start to increase in price until the 2000's Now I could sell any one of my Arisakas for more than double what I paid for all of them combined and I have at least ten or more.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Just got home with the rifle. It's in pristine condition and seems to not have been refinished. Several cartouches are visible on the stock. I was able to free the bolt, but in the process I managed to break the sear! Don't ask how I did this as it's quite embarrassing. The trigger is even the same assembly number. The bolt is also missing the spring, but everything else is there. The muzzle cover does indeed appear to be the Variation 1 cover, which is very exciting! I'll take better pictures when I have more light tomorrow, but here's what I have so far.

I guess my next question is at any Type 38 parts interchangeable with a Type 44? Am I out of luck for the sear I managed to break and the missing bolt spring?

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't recall for sure but 38 parts should fit that receiver. My bet it was captured in a crate and some GI grabbed it quick.
Theodore Roosevelt
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Thanks guys! I ordered a new trigger sear set and a firing pin spring from Liberty Tree, so hopefully that will help. Is there a way to replace the new trigger I'll be receiving with the original one I have? It seems the trigger is held in the sear with a rivet that isn't able to be removed.

I'm wondering if this rifle was ever issued. It's covered in cosmoline and grease, especially in the action and under the woodline. The bore is absolutely pristine and the stop has only minor scuff marks on it. The bolt appears to be a mismatch as the parts are marked "430" while the assembly number under the wood is "413". All the other small parts are marked "413" (Bayonet, trigger, bolt stop, etc).

I was able to research the soldier who I believe brought it back. He was in the 1st Cavalry Division during Korea and was wounded in Sept 1950, which matches what the auctioneer told me about the relative who owned it. I can't find any information on his World War 2 service though. I see the 1st Cavalry did fight in the Pacific, so I'm guessing he served in the division during that war as well. I'm going to continue to try and find out.

Anyway, this is one of the more exciting finds I've had in the last year or so. Here are a few more photos!

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

An outstanding rifle and purchase. I don't collect Arisaka's but I have eight of them. :bonk:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, no way that was issued, everywhere the Japanese fought took a heavy toll on the rifles appearance pretty quickly.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

This is the only Japanese rifle model I really like. That is beautiful! Big congrats!
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!