1916 Berthier French

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
awalker1829

Re: 1916 Berthier French

Post by awalker1829 »

I chrongraphed some of the current Privi loads and they averaged just over 2300 feet per second. I'm loading IMR 4895 and matching that performance with 45.0 grains of powder and a 200 grain bullet. 220 grain bullets seem to be 50-100 fps slower. The data they provide with the dies is WAY low. I was averaging 1500 to 1800 fps with those loads.
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

One of my concerns with the load data is having the bullet fast enough in rotation to get good stability. I guess the thing to do is break my Chronograph out and see what I get. But every time I do this I have people wanting to shoot across it and that can be a pain.
Burrhead
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Burrhead wrote:One of my concerns with the load data is having the bullet fast enough in rotation to get good stability. I guess the thing to do is break my Chronograph out and see what I get. But every time I do this I have people wanting to shoot across it and that can be a pain.
Burrhead
Yes, that's the answer. My solution to the latter is to go out in the afternoon on a summer weekend-by 2PM the range is usually left with just a few die hard shooters (that's usually when the temperature goes over 100 degrees).
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

I have a week scheduled off in September so that may be a good time to do that. Right now I'm working seven days and it's hard to have time to do anything at all. I'm hoping for a day off next weekend have to see if it happens.
Burrhead
gurn

Post by gurn »

Would love to see some closeups.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!