WTS Model 1907 Carbine

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Pet_My_Mosin

WTS Model 1907 Carbine

Post by Pet_My_Mosin »

SOLD
Last edited by Pet_My_Mosin on Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
capt14k

Re: WTS Model 1907 Carbine

Post by capt14k »

What was this that sold for $3,500?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Pet_My_Mosin

Post by Pet_My_Mosin »

It was a Model 1907 Carbine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Pet_My_Mosin

Post by Pet_My_Mosin »

My apologies. It was a Mosin Nagant Model 1907. Not really sure why it matters... it is sold.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

'cause there ain't many of them around and there are lots of collectors who want one. Simple supply and demand, you got one of something and 400,000 collectors want it then you don't have to price it as if it was a 1943 M38 refurb. Somebody out there should be happy they were dealing with this guy, I would have asked for quite a bit more, then again I am a gun hoarder who isn't much inclined to sell anything.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Now I am confused. The info page says there was 44,000 made of the first variant and 300,000 of the second variation. This is far more than the Finnish carbines, however the price was similar. I'm just curious.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Attrition, these were made very long ago, served in two world wars, a revolution, and had to survive the Soviet era weapons refurbishment programs that rooted out all the rifles with older sights, stocks and such, then updated them. Few 1907's are known to survive compared to any other Mosin carbine, they are almost exclusively older imports, or came in with the Finn and Balkan rifles. WW1 in particular took a heavy toll on the Mosin, millions were lost or captured, then the lean years of the post revolution era when rifles had to serve long past when they should have been refurbished or replaced. Compared to the production totals of Soviet era Mosins of all kinds the 1907 was produced in miniscule amounts even if you combine all it's variations.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Thank you JYD. So there were many made just not many left? I read it is assumed there are less than 300. Is that in existence or in the United States? If U.S. how many are thought to exist worldwide?

NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Pet_My_Mosin wrote:My apologies. It was a Mosin Nagant Model 1907. Not really sure why it matters... it is sold.
:shock:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Pet_My_Mosin

Re: RE: Re: WTS Model 1907 Carbine

Post by Pet_My_Mosin »

capt14k wrote:Thank you JYD. So there were many made just not many left? I read it is assumed there are less than 300. Is that in existence or in the United States? If U.S. how many are thought to exist worldwide?

I believe that is in the world. Most do not have the handguard present and undamaged. I likely could have gotten more putting it up for auction, but needed funds for other things rather quickly. I only considered parting with it because the bolt didn't match and it had been reworked at some point. I own one other and it is all original matching and there probably isnt a number that would make me part with that one.

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Thank you for the info Pet. I did not know anything about the m/1907 carbine. I only collect Finnish "Made" Mosins, not even Finnish "captured", so I know very little about the Russian ones.

Pet_My_Mosin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: WTS Model 1907 Carbine

Post by Pet_My_Mosin »

capt14k wrote:Thank you for the info Pet. I did not know anything about the m/1907 carbine. I only collect Finnish "Made" Mosins, not even Finnish "captured", so I know very little about the Russian ones.

Finns are fabulous. Older Imperial era Russian Mosins are my first love though. Layers upon layers of history.
Pet_My_Mosin wrote:
capt14k wrote:Thank you JYD. So there were many made just not many left? I read it is assumed there are less than 300. Is that in existence or in the United States? If U.S. how many are thought to exist worldwide?

I believe that is in the world. Most do not have the handguard present and undamaged. I likely could have gotten more putting it up for auction, but needed funds for other things rather quickly. I only considered parting with it because the bolt didn't match and it had been reworked at some point. I own one other and it is all original matching and there probably isnt a number that would make me part with that one.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

300 is a guess, like with any milsurp we just don't know for sure, but whatever the number actually is I am sure it's low, a few thousand maybe. In the collecting community we tend to forget that we are only a tiny minority of gun owners, millions of non collector gun owners out there who wouldn't know a 1907 carbine from a regular M38, some might not even know that, to them it's just an old rifle. You have to figure that some of these carbines are in the hands of such owners worldwide and we only learn about them when a collector happens to stumble on one at some little estate auction, or gunshop. Also remember that not all collectors are online sharing what they have collected with the world, I am online but I know 20 or more casual to serious collectors who are not, you will never hear about what they have unless you know them personally, the rare items in their collection are not counted in any "how many exist" poll.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Re: RE: Re: WTS Model 1907 Carbine

Post by gurn »

How about http://youtu.be/l91ISfcuzDw
Pet_My_Mosin wrote:

Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

My understanding is, there are less then 100 in the USA.

Passed on two of them over the years. Just to pricey for me to deal with.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:'Somebody out there should be happy they were dealing with this guy
:D Last I checked, Nikki was rather cute, and definitely not a guy! :D

And the production vs attrition, leading to low supply and high demand, is spot on.

Here are some pics of a bolt matching example. Stock and mag are mismatched.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

martin08 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:'Somebody out there should be happy they were dealing with this guy
:D Last I checked, Nikki was rather cute, and definitely not a guy! :D

And the production vs attrition, leading to low supply and high demand, is spot on.

Here are some pics of a bolt matching example. Stock and mag are mismatched.

Sorry, the OP is not known to me. As I have gotten older I have gotten much less inclined to spend money on anything, years back yea, all the time I was dropping a g on this, two g on that. That's why I have my collection today, but eventually you end up with stuff jammed in every available spot, so much crap I can't even remember what I have anymore. Now I am a very hard sell, I would rather that you buy it, store it, care for it, and I can see all the cool pictures :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

So does that 300 figure include the case of them, rusting in the barn, that I bought in '87? Just asking....
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nothing left in that case but dust and rat crap Steve, we sneaked them out of there years ago.
Theodore Roosevelt