My pride of the fleet

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

My pride of the fleet

Post by Darryl »

Here is one of my favorite collectibles.

K98k Mauser (this is not a RC Mauser)
8mm Mauser, Early 1944 byf (Oberdorf) Mauser plant, All matching / All original finish, White glue laminated stock (not sanded). White glue is a rare stock as they tried it and found it was not very water proof. That's when they went to the Red glue. This is a "perfect k98k" except the blood mark on the receiver. Some say that is not a minus, other say it is a plus....so you will have to decide on your own. ;)

For me it is a minus (or a "hit"), but it is a wow factor!

Dolk

The mark on the barrel and extending down and on to the stock is a "blood" mark. Local PD helped me out with it and there is blood on the stock still (embedded in the wood)

More photos here http://www.thedolk.com/K98k/index.html

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: My pride of the fleet

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice, K98k, I like the blood mark, what caused all the orbs in a couple of the pics, the rifle doesn't seem to be reflective.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:what caused all the orbs in a couple of the pics
Methinks aliens. :o

But on the matter or pride, I can see why that one stands tall for you, Dolk. What nice condition.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Very nice D. So many questions that can never be answered.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Nice, K98k, I like the blood mark, what caused all the orbs in a couple of the pics, the rifle doesn't seem to be reflective.
I don't know what that was. I never could answer that question. :shock: :?

I got this rifle from a guy over at another forum that is an expert in k98k's. I talked him out of it because I knew he would never sell me a faked rifle. There are so many faked that unless you are an expert, you can really get taken on a collectors grade rifle.

That and the fact it was owned (just before the guy I bought it from) by a guy who is a co author of a well know Mauser book. The guy I bought it from talked him out of it also. ;) He confirmed it was one of his rifles in his collection and was upset to find out it was sold. He said he would have bought it back if he had know it was for sale. I told him to not look for it on sale, not in my life time!

Dolk
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

That's a nice one Dolk. I would take that in a heartbeat. For now I'm happy with my Red Laminate RC. I'm with you on the nicer Mausers... Too many fakes, I don't know enough to weed them out & I don't have the cash to play that game. Someday maybe.

thanks for sharing... :toast:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Yeah, they don't get any nicer than that.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

8-) 8-) 8-)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

that's a real beauty. I'm like Rongo right now, too many guns on the Wish list, not enough $$$
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

That is some beautiful furniture with some great markings! 8-)
lonesome

Post by lonesome »

Wow, beautiful rifle... And that blood mark is something. :shock: :shock:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Yeah,
Some think the blood mark is cool, but the real hard core collectors see it as a "hit". I think if you have to have a "hit", then at least it should be cool! ;)

Dolk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I guess they would find me boring then. I was ecstatic just to get my hands on a common Yugo k98. I love mine, and it is my 2nd bolt action 8mm after the Chinese Mauser that I traded for a couple of years ago.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

Cool 8-) 8-)
John 8:12
Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

I can see why it's the pride of your fleet. That is very impressive. The history of any rifle is what interests me the most and that blood mark is a definite plus in my book. It's part of the story of that rifle. Each military weapon has it's own story that we will never know. I look at the ones I have and wonder exactly where they have been. The sweat from the palms of the men/women that held them (what were their names, what did they look like, did they survive the war?), used them, and carried them. How many nights did they spend in a trench or foxhole. Did their owners die in battle, were they wounded, did they run in the face of the enemy, hold their positions, or were they heroes? Did any of the rifles take the life of an enemy? All of that is something I'll never know, but can't help wondering about. Your rifle, which is fine enough in it's own right, has that one addition to the story. Somebody bled on it. Who we'll never know, but it's a part of that rifle's story and history that you have and shared with us. Thanks for sharing that.
Some days it's not even worth gnawing through the restraints.
jfeenin

Post by jfeenin »

That is one fine piece of history you have there. I'm a tad jealous. LOL :toast:
Joe - http://all-about-guns.com
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell
[hr]