Has anyone else seen this marking?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NLMosin

Has anyone else seen this marking?

Post by NLMosin »

I was reading a post about DDR markings on another site and there was a post by Artemus of a mark that he has on a '39 Tula that was quite different from anything I had seen. He asked if anyone else had seen it and did not get any responses. This is his marking to the right of the star:
firstone.jpg
While pouring over auctions I found this rifle, this time a '43 Izhevsk with the same marking. I sent a pic to Artemus and he verified that it matched his and as far as he knew these were the only two he had ever seen. They may be common as dirt but I've looked at hundreds of recievers in my hunt for mosins and never saw it either so I had to buy it. Heres mine next to the arrow in the triangle. Not as well defined as Artemus's but still the same mark.
strange.jpg
Anybody have one to add to the post? And thanks Artemus for letting me use your pic!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Titanium Hammer

Re: Has anyone else seen this marking?

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Never seen that mark before. Don't know what "Ab 3-8" would signify. Cool stamp though! :thumbsup:
B24

Post by B24 »

:pointup:
Titanium Hammer wrote:Never seen that mark before. Don't know what "Ab 3-8" would signify. Cool stamp though! :thumbsup:
What he said. A very cool marking, that is one of the many things that make these rifles so interesting.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Still hoping someone else has the same mark and posts pics. I was looking over the arsenal marking list and most of the marks a pretty simply. This mark is pretty elaborate in comparison...Im not really asking the meaning as much as Im asking everyone to look at their recievers and post if you have the same mark. I agree with both Titanium and B24 that they are probably arsenal markings...just like to see how common they are...thought it was a pretty cool mark. Thanks!
arsenalstamp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.