Simple list to reload 7.62x54R?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
CSRazle

Simple list to reload 7.62x54R?

Post by CSRazle »

:bonk:
Hello! This forum is pretty cool, there are a lot of you!

I've been looking around for lists to reload my 1943 mosin nagant and can't quite seem to find one.
Of corse it could be my lack of computer skills or simply my adhd :crazy.gif:
Nevertheless I've come to you guys for help

Im looking for any suggestions on building a 7.62x54r reloading kit. I've started shooting a lot and the ammo at the range is crap to say the least.

I can't spend too much money as I'm saving for collage.

I know I need

1. A press
2. Powder measure
3. A priming tool (hand, or does it attach to the press?)
4. A bullet trimmer

And of corse good brass, powder, primers etc.
Recommendations on those would be very appreciated as well
Thanks gentleman!
Now off to the range! :wave.gif:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Simple list to reload 7.62x54R?

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't see a reloading manual on your list. I know you can get load info off the web, but the info in the first third of the book is where all the knowledge is. All kinds of stuff like ballistics, what happens when slow burning powder is ignited, or fast burning powder. How each step of the reloading operation works. Lots of good stuff. I would recommend the Lyman reloading book in softback. It has some good stuff. Then maybe the Lee book. It is the most affordable. My favorite however is perhaps the Hornady manual but it is about 40.00 unless you find a bargain on a used one
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

A Lee "reloader" is the cheapest way to go. No press, and you do them one at a time. Available all over the place.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Classic-Lee ... SwyQtV1-uR

Here is Keri's old load for the Mosins. He was an expert in reloading.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=444
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Those Sierra 150 gr Spitzer bullets are hard to beat. Kari loaded lots of them. :)
entropy

Post by entropy »

Best way to learn reloading is 'on person' , from someone who has done it for a long time. If you don't know anyone who reloads yet, a couple trips to the range should net you one. Most reloaders are willing to teach new reloaders. Keep in mind, everyone does it slightly differently, but we all follow some basic rules:

1. Establish a routine, and stick to it. Put as many 'failsafes' as you can into yours. I learned long ago charge the case, be sure all the powder goes in, then seat the bullet immediately, one at a time. Some charge all 20 or 50 or 100, then inspect the levels, then seat. If it works for them, great. Not the way I do it.

2. Never drink, smoke or do drugs before and during reloading! I got my Dad to stop smoking when he reloaded by putting some Red Dot I'd spilled into his ashtray on the reloading bench. Cost me a sore behind for a few days, but he did stop smoking when he loaded.... :lol:

3. Maintain your equipment, and meticulous records. The more detailed the better. When you shoot your loads, write down the results. If they're good, post 'em here! :D

4. Only one powder on the bench at a time! Have the data you are using out and handy for reference.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Does brass get too old? I've got some '46 I'll send ya some, you can shoot it and reload it. I'm not shooting because it's so nasty(graphite) and I've had some cartridge necks split, so does it get too old?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
8X56R

Post by 8X56R »

Thanks for the link dolk. I will have to see if our local range has any Hogden H380 in stock..
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

steelbuttplate wrote:Does brass get too old? I've got some '46 I'll send ya some, you can shoot it and reload it. I'm not shooting because it's so nasty(graphite) and I've had some cartridge necks split, so does it get too old?
If that 46 is surplus it will be berdan primed, and not readily reloadable. Especially for a novice.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis