What to put on my steyr 95 stock

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
evildog

What to put on my steyr 95 stock

Post by evildog »

Now before people start freaking out on messing with a milsurp rifle i'm not.......I can't remember what people used on here to put on the stocks to protect them. I just got a M95 Steyr long rifle and the stock looks and feels dry. I want to put something natural to keep the wood from being brittle when i shoot it.
It doesn't look to have had anything done to it in a LONG time as i believe it was someones backroom closet forgotten gun......
BubbaDX

Re: What to put on my steyr 95 stock

Post by BubbaDX »

Maybe wipe it down with lemon oil?
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
evildog

Post by evildog »

I know some have lemon oil and linseed oil. Has anyone put gun oil on a rag and wiped down their dry stocks?
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I have wiped stocks with a rag that had gun oil on it. Lemon Oil is much cheaper though. I've thought about using Balistol because it's reasonably priced. But still not as cheap as lemon oil.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
evildog

Post by evildog »

Lemon oil it is, on my list of stuff from the store today....thanks again for the help....bubbaDx
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

I wouldn't use gun oil. It will likely turn the stock dark, at least darker than it is. Good old boiled linseed oil seems to work. Others will chime in. :)
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
rick54R

Post by rick54R »

:thumbsup: Kotten Clean, they also include, a wood conditioner for dry wood. Then finish off with their bee wax.
Stuff is bio degradable and will not hurt your wood.
Here is a K31, just cleaned and waxed today. Will do my entire collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rick54R

Post by rick54R »

Kotton Klenser Products
PO Box 1386 6400 Hwy 70N
Brandon, TN 38010-1386
1-800-238-6969
www.KottenKleaner.com
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The KK will not hurt the finish, neither will the lemon oil, at most these moisturize the outer layers of the wood and eventually evaporate necessitating periodic replacement. This is why polishing the fine finished wood furniture in the old days was a weekly chore. Fortunately most of our milsurp rifles need nothing more than to be kept protected from the elements. There is nothing you will be doing with these rifles that will duplicate what happened to them at the front. Rain, mud, snow, heat and cold extremes, blood , sand, endless handling. At most our rifles see the range now and then during good weather, and the rest of the time sit in the vault. Moisture control is the best care you can give them, they can shrink slightly during the cold months when the heat dry's out the humidity in the air. In summer super humid air can cause swelling and then mold, dehumidifiers and the golden rod moisture control systems for safes are made to help stop this. The Finn's had the most protective stock finish, they used some finishes containing pine tar and other ingredients that protect wood very well, Most everybody else used some form of oil base finish that does a passible job, the Russians used shellac that wore off in weeks once the rifles hit the field, it was more for protection during storage. I am sure there are some around who think heavy snowfall days or torrential rain's are a good time to have a range to themselves, there are also some people who achieve satisfaction by being whipped. I suspect neither describes the members here. These rifles are enjoying a peaceful retirement, wipe the dirt off them now and then but otherwise you don't need to do anything.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
evildog

Post by evildog »

Thanks for all the advise, i may do a light coat of linseed oil or try the KK. But as JYD mentioned, they are kept in a dry enviroment and i hate getting wet in the rain so they won't get wet (unless of a zombie invasion).
Vendetta

Re: RE: Re: What to put on my steyr 95 stock

Post by Vendetta »

evildog wrote:Thanks for all the advise, i may do a light coat of linseed oil or try the KK. But as JYD mentioned, they are kept in a dry enviroment and i hate getting wet in the rain so they won't get wet (unless of a zombie invasion).
Dont do linseed. Stick to lemon oil or Kk.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk