What Ammunition to Use?

WeldonHunter

Re: What Ammunition to Use?

Post by WeldonHunter »

mallardtape wrote:A hog pipe or pig pipe is a PVC pipe with holes drilled in it and capped on both ends and chained to the ground. You fill it with corn and the pigs will root around it and push it around letting the corn out of the drilled holes. It keeps them entertained for a while and with a blind set up it brings the pigs to you and gives you plenty of time to line up a good shot.

Here is one in use (not mine). I used a 5ft piece of 3in pipe with a cap on one end and a cleanout on the other where i can fill it with corn.

We use the same thing for deer here but stand them on end with one side open and a half piece of pipe as a kind of trough. Fill it with corn and after a few weeks of doing this it becomes a part of their routine to stop there and eat. It's a redneck feeder made cheap. The hanging ones with solar cells and time activated spreaders that are battery run are also popular here but cost a fair amount and tend to disappear if not watched.

I'd say that if FMJ surplus is allowed by Fish and Game in your area it would work fine as long as you hit them in the right place. If you have two or three standing next to eachother you may also take them too, ;)
lmc8541

Post by lmc8541 »

what state you hunting in? i've used 7N1 and Russian LB for pigs in my PSL and MN.
USMC '85-'89 Weapons Co. 1/5 SSP
Deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his Rifle!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: Bacon :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
avenger

Post by avenger »

Wish they roamed here.....mmmm bacon!
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bacon :Drool1: and the rest is for :spam2: :lol: nice pig :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

i've never had a problem dropping hots with full metal jacket milsurp ammo.
We soldier on, not because we think we can win, but because we refuse to lose quietly.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

avenger wrote:Wish they roamed here.....mmmm bacon!
No you don't, wild pigs are a serious problem in many parts of the country. They are extremely prolific, and adapt very well to almost any environment in the USA, destructive as hell to drops, and gardens, and can be very dangerous. Pigs are like us, omnivorous, plant or animal, they eat it all. Pigs will reduce a human body to nothing at all in a few hours if there are a pack of them, and they are smart, not to mention territorial. In some areas of the country the problem is so bad that it's open season on them.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mallardtape

Post by mallardtape »

Sorry Ive been out of town for a little while... Well out of country in West Africa so I havent had a chance to go hunting yet. I am in Dallas TX but I have a friend that has a piece of land In Milford about an hour south of me. He has his entire 50 acre plot torn up by rooting pigs. Hopefully soon I will get to go out again.

Joel
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Did you get that email telling you to post or else? Ignore it, it was sent by accident to most of the forum, good luck with the bacon on the hoof.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
avenger wrote:Wish they roamed here.....mmmm bacon!
No you don't, wild pigs are a serious problem in many parts of the country. They are extremely prolific, and adapt very well to almost any environment in the USA, destructive as hell to drops, and gardens, and can be very dangerous. Pigs are like us, omnivorous, plant or animal, they eat it all. Pigs will reduce a human body to nothing at all in a few hours if there are a pack of them, and they are smart, not to mention territorial. In some areas of the country the problem is so bad that it's open season on them.
Yup, same here. It's against hunting regs. to carry anything other than a 22 with shot shells while bow hunting and a lot of other types of hunting using non friearm means here and that's been challenged in federal court. Down here you have to worry about wild hogs, bears, the occasional mountain lion (extremely rare), rattle snakes, cottenmouths (they are aggressive, I've had them come after me), copperheads and gators. One guy was frog gigging and had a pistol with him for protection against gators and was ticketed. The thing is if you're out in the woods hunting without a firearm and you come across some wild hogs they will attack you if given the chance. I've heard many a story of hunters being treed by them. They have a nasty bite and aren't afraid of much.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What about carrying a cap and ball revolver? A Ruger Old Army will pack a punch, so will a Colt Dragoon.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/defa ... ow-res.pdf
If this is the same booklet I have it's at the bottom of page 8 under the "Methods of Taking Deer" "It is unlawful to: carry a gun including those powered by air or other means while hunting with bow and arrow during the special bow and arrow season EXCEPT, it is lawful to carry a .22 caliber rimfire pistol loaded with #12 shot (ratshot) only."

This is basically the same rules for any other hunting that use methods other than firearms. Even then you're restricted to certain types of firearms like shotguns with dowel plugs to limit the mags as well as other restrictions. I don't hunt any birds so I'm not really worried about those. I hunt deer to eat and disappear lots of other nuisance and outlaw quadrapeds. I do have a big buck rabbit in the fridge I got last year but I haven't gotten desperate enough to chow down on him. He'll most likely be fed to the dog. She loves rabbit.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Make some Bunny stew :)
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Man i would be dead meat here if i couldn't carry. I have had to use my pistol twice already. Before that i had a cap n ball and i Luckily didn't have to use it. I almost had to bump off a mad bull cow though. :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Hamburgers on the hoof :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, a friend and I did get one, we used a 1996 Buick Roadmaster, killed it dead.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

mallardtape wrote:The Silver Bear sounds like a good round and it is cheap as well. I will order some of that and try it. Actually, I will order some of the Brown Bear 203grain soft points. I am not sure what the difference is other than the color of the casing.
Brown Bear has a lacquer coating; Silver Bear has a zinc coating. As we all know, the lacquer can gum up an action (see 'sticky bolt'), hence the price difference.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yes, a friend and I did get one, we used a 1996 Buick Roadmaster, killed it dead.
My wife nailed a wild pig with her 1994 Roadmaster. It was dark and she thought maybe it was a bear. I was a little ways behind in my old truck. Next morning I went back to the spot and, sure enough, there was a dead pig. She just nicked it with the right front corner, damaged the fender and front passenger door. :very mad:
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I killed this one in the early 70's in the hills of Monterey, Ca. If it wasn't for my brother-in-law I would have been food. Almost 600 pounds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

Longcolt44 wrote:I killed this one in the early 70's in the hills of Monterey, Ca. If it wasn't for my brother-in-law I would have been food. Almost 600 pounds.

Aww, Chuck! He's kinda cute and fluffy!

SHOOT HIS ASS!!

Also, I'm on the brink of hitting them here. At night.
My rifle/optic combo shall be legal, and secret for now. ;mywink;
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.