M39 back in stock

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Moonpie00

M39 back in stock

Post by Moonpie00 »

Their back M39,s Sako and VKT are back in stock at Classic as of 2:15 pm today.
BuckeyeSgt

Re: M39 back in stock

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I think I'll pass forever. I still look at the beat to hell one I got and just shake my head.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Thanks, but I listened to JYD and got the ones I wanted long before this all started.

Pass. Again.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The M39 is a rifle that has lived in very interesting times, I am only surprised that they are all not looking as if run over by a tank. I know I would be worse for wear after years of war and trench living at the front in the worst of conditions.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Were the Airplane sights ever tested? Or, was there much documented Russian/German planes shot down with these? I can't see the Finns putting those on and saying, Eh, it will probably work. :vconfused: SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

After buying my M39 from Zeebill I may never again fire any other of my Mosin rifles. I've never shot a more accurate rifle with open sights in my life. At first I thought my Swede rifles had the edge but this thing just amazes me to no end each time I have it out.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Nope. Got mine many moons ago and am very pleased. That and Classic is a place I just don't shop.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, bought mine so long ago they are likely used more by me than by the Finnish army.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I want another M39 at sometime. One I feel less conscience about taking out shooting all the time. lol Not that I really believe I will ever hurt mine. Seems Classic has a lot sour to it?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, what they have are milsurps in the condition you would expect them to be in when used for years by a military force then turned in and sold without any refurbishment first. Problem with them was they tried to represent them as better than they were. Burns has sold M39's in that condition, and even more rough, but they were always upfront about it. Before all the Soviet refurbs spoiled everyone it was an accepted fact that a used military rifle would show wear and probably need something fixed. A good example would be the earlier Balkan Mosin imports, or the Spanish imports from the 50's, issued looking and often in need of attention. That's what milsurps looked like back in the day, pretty much all of them except a few from Argentina.
Theodore Roosevelt
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Burns seems to be out............... Christmas bonus is coming. But I am about to use the last of my milsurp ammo tomorrow........ so I need ammo. I'm not going to open that spam can of Hungarian heavy ball. Decisions, decisions.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

jimpierce7 wrote:Burns seems to be out............... Christmas bonus is coming. But I am about to use the last of my milsurp ammo tomorrow........ so I need ammo. I'm not going to open that spam can of Hungarian heavy ball. Decisions, decisions.
Burns still sells M39s one or two at a time on GB. But those are primarily antique receivers-- part of "the Deal" with Classic, I suspect. Offerings on "the secondary market," if you want to call it that, are spotty, and the prices are high to irrational. A PL marked rifle sold for $995 the other night on GB.

While I would never turn down a chance to add another M39 to the collection, I'm fortunate that I don't have to do so at these prices. The guys I feel badly for are the younger fellows who have just entered the market, having been bitten by the Mosinitis bug.
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

I got my Sako, now i want a VKT and possibly and Sky but have to see if the wife will allow it
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

djbuck1 wrote:
jimpierce7 wrote:Burns seems to be out............... Christmas bonus is coming. But I am about to use the last of my milsurp ammo tomorrow........ so I need ammo. I'm not going to open that spam can of Hungarian heavy ball. Decisions, decisions.
Burns still sells M39s one or two at a time on GB. But those are primarily antique receivers-- part of "the Deal" with Classic, I suspect. Offerings on "the secondary market," if you want to call it that, are spotty, and the prices are high to irrational. A PL marked rifle sold for $995 the other night on GB.

While I would never turn down a chance to add another M39 to the collection, I'm fortunate that I don't have to do so at these prices. The guys I feel badly for are the younger fellows who have just entered the market, having been bitten by the Mosinitis bug.

Mine is Pl marked......................... and they can't have it!!!
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Well unfortunately I am a younger guy who never had a shot at the beautiful older m39s. So I ordered one from Classic. Fingers crossed.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Vendetta wrote:Well unfortunately I am a younger guy who never had a shot at the beautiful older m39s. So I ordered one from Classic. Fingers crossed.
Just educate yourself and do the best that you can. These rifles will only get scarcer and more expensive.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Classic is unfortunately all many starting collectors have they feel for M39's but if you keep your eyes open they are available many different places if one is patient and not drilled into internet buying as the only way to do it. I just bought 2 Straight stock M39's yesterday from a fellow collector and turned down 2 other which were nice but duplicates for me. Granted I paid much more than a Classic price but you get what you pay for in anything I feel. Both are antiques and one is a PL marked unit. Both have excellent bores and have been well maintained. I spent over 10 hours driving to see and bring them home yesterday but again effort equals value. The rest of the collection will go on sale on gun broker soon and that is what you folks will bargain over. There are many great Finn rifles out there for sale and these are just a few of what you can get if you search and ask questions both online and off. Good Luck and Good hunting! Bill :wink: :cry:
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

I picked up my Classic m39 today and I must say it is absolutely stunning. Nice bore, dark but with nice sharp rifling. 40-50% blue imo. I made a request for a 1943 Sako and they accomodated my request. Beautiful stock with plenty of character but no cracking or issues. And the trigger pull on these things... Wow. I am over the moon. I will post pictures as soon as I find the time to get her cleaned up. I couldnt be happier with my order from Classic. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones and if so thats a first for me but I will certainly order from them again.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Looking forward to the pics. I just am at the point where I don't want to buy something sight unseen. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any at all. :P
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Fledge wrote:Looking forward to the pics. I just am at the point where I don't want to buy something sight unseen. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any at all. [emoji14]
I have been exactly the same way. For some reason I just went rogue on this and couldnt help myself. Im sure glad I did. Will post pics asap.