Blast from the past

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Blast from the past

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The M91/59's, I have four of them at the moment, 1936 Tula, 1940 Izhevsk, 1941 Izhevsk, 1943 Izhevsk . All bought back in the golden times when you could still find them for the same price as any regular M38. Three of them came from the legendary M91/59 collection of old board member Ter who had the market cornered on these back in the last decade. The 1943 was from Allans Armory, that one is not in the pictures, I lost the pics someplace. All are excellent shooters, all feel like they have had professional trigger jobs, another 91/59 hallmark. Very few other Mosin carbines can compete with the M91/59 on the range, they people who built these knew what they were about, a lot of the sloppy shit you see with the ordinary Soviet refurbs isn't in evidence here. Cutting the 91/30 barrel down removes the muzzle wear and leaves a barrel thicker than any other carbine, the bolts tend to be smoother, triggers more like what I would expect from a Finn built M39. Nicely finished stocks, and as you can see on the 1942 someone has made an effort to smooth over at least some of the rough finish of a wartime receiver. That alone shows someone cared about the details.

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
djbuck1

Re: Blast from the past

Post by djbuck1 »

:thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Thou shall not covet the 91/59's of another member......The Shooters Bible, Ch. 4, mantra 23 :bs.gif:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

These are my favorite carbines. I was lucky to get mine thanks to a tip from a local guy that BuckeyeSgt told me about. And for 175.00 it was among my happiest deals. All numbers match. 1942 Izhevsk, partially scrubbed receiver markings.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

A 42,43 and a sanitized.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Looks like they scrubbed the markings unintentionally while attempting to clean up the rough tool marks left on the wartime action.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

My 91/59, a sanitized 1943. My favorite carbine shooter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
8X56R

Post by 8X56R »

JYD.... Thanks for sharing the information and photos...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No problem, I only wish the rifles were still readily available , but it seems unlikely any more stashes will be found.
Theodore Roosevelt
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Very nice, Thank you for sharing the pictures :thumbsup: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote