almost bought a new rifle...

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
cwb1944

almost bought a new rifle...

Post by cwb1944 »

went to a local little gun shop, and in the back they had a yugo M24/47 for 250. it was a bit rough but it was still a nice looking rifle to me :P i was kinda shocked to walk back there and see what looked like a gewehr 98. question, should i go back to get it?? shoot it was even all matching that i saw, true matching not forced matched lol. ive almost got the money to let go off for it. and at 250 i think thats a heck of a deal.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: almost bought a new rifle...

Post by Longcolt44 »

I hope by now that you atre at home wiping it down to take pictures to share with us.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A matching GEW98 for that money is a steal, it's possibly German, Persian, one of the South American contract rifles, or Czech 98/22, grab it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Yes, If I were you I'd buy it...because we need pictures!.....Nah, just kidding!

That's a good price, I've been watching them and they are hardly ever "matching". Most of them have been reworked many times and never match.

Dolk
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Gew 98 for $250??? Great deal...:shock: Go get it!

I paid that for mine 5 years ago.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
cwb1944

Post by cwb1944 »

hah. okay im gonna get it as soon as i can. need the money first. only about 40 short for the rifle but i want some ammo too :P it was nice, had a hooded front site, standard mauser (that i know of, i dont know german rifles very well at this point. lol) rear site, kind of like my mosin's have. i think the year was 44. but that was just my guess, i didnt find anything that screamed the year it was made. lol but im gonna go get it ASAP 8-)
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

cwb 1944, sell some blood, work O/T, don't eat for a while....Get that rifle before somebody else does.

Rongo, That is an interesting rear sight on your 98
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Ironnewt wrote:cwb 1944, sell some blood, work O/T, don't eat for a while....Get that rifle before somebody else does.
Or tell us where it is. :lol:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Ironnewt wrote:
Rongo, That is an interesting rear sight on your 98
The original style rear sight for the Gewehr 98 was the "Lange Visier" style sight represented in the picture. I'm hoping for CWB1944's sake the one he saw is the same. Too many of these were converted to later variations & lost this unique rear sight configuration.

Good luck on getting it CWB. 8-)

"Dang that entropy"
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

The rear sight on mine has the curves on the base and all the markings are on the top of the central "bar". The adjustment piece is attached to the bar and rests on the sides as the range is increased on the sight. It is original to the rifle as it part of the barrel. Mine is a 1917 marked "Waffenwerke Oberspree Kornbusch & Co." I got by paying off buddy's bar bill and giving him a ride home. It had been "PAINTED'" with green and brown paint to give it a "Camo" look when he went hunting. I've had for years and am still finding dabs of paint on it every time I get it out of the cabinet. :b sad:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain